Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
BowMan

Thanks again! I'll be riding on Saturday for definate now. Looking forward to it!  :D
Image Thanks to Lewis97
mrbrightside

I'm interested to know if this ride is helping to change the perception of 'experience' rides within the general public...

I say this because most people who come off the ride are giving it generally positive reviews (even though it is less of a 'ride' and more of an 'experience') despite the publics general dislike of anything that isn't a big, scary ride (generalisation I know but it is fairly accurate).

I also say this because when I was explaining ST to people in the pub last night, the word 'experience' made everyone roll their eyes. However, mentioning a dark scare maze type ending with actors and strobes and other effects and the eye rolling turned into 'sounds awesome!'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Howie

Well this is very interesting indeed, I've just read through this entire topic for the first time. I'd deliberately stayed away until I'd actually been on the thing to avoid spoiling any surprises that lay in store and had absolutely no idea what the ride involved but after going on May 15th (just before the closure) I gotta say, I loved it!
Now I'm as surprised by that as you are cos I really wasn't expecting much, what with AT's track record over recent years, but honestly, I think it's the best new attraction the park's added in over a decade. Dare I say it, but I actually got a little bit scared during the ride's build up, and I wasn't expecting that drop at all. So I have to ask myself, was it because the ride is actually a good one or was it because I went in with absolutely no idea what to expect? Probably a little bit of both if I'm being honest but either way. I still loved it.
It seems that the ride had a few operational glitches in its first few weeks but as far as I could tell everything worked perfectly and the overall effect was pretty powerful, there certainly was a whole lotta screaming going on! 
I wouldn't say it's restored my faith in the park completely - I'm still reeling from the monumental turkey that is Th13teen - but this is definitely a step in the right direction.
Well done Alton, looking forward to going again with the new changes in place.
garyh

Howie wrote: Well this is very interesting indeed, I've just read through this entire topic for the first time.
You read through 126 pages?  lol..... quiet day then?  ;)
Paul Morgster

Went on it twice today, first time at the front of the Quarentine ending, loved it! :D
starbugger1303

The thing I found, going at the front on the ending, isn't as scary as going in the middle... It's because the actors who hang out of the partitions in the walls, go for the ones in the middle...

However, it's good to go in the front, because you can set the speed for the whole group.. Mwhahaha

:)
Paul Morgster

I found it worse in the middle, as we were standing around for ages waiting for the people in front to move, It was like queueing to exit
BananaRoll

After following this topic, I was pleased to finally get to ride N:ST on Tuesday, and that I would be riding the improved version as my first experience of it. Here's what I thought:

Firstly, the noises coming from the scare maze, which you can hear as you approach Forbidden Valley work wonders. The rumbles and blasts sound intimidating; and if I hadn't already known what was inside I would have assumed it was a ride far crazier than a frog hopperExtremis. This coupled with people running out of the exit screaming certainly conjures an exciting atmosphere to the new ride area. Still, I spent the 30 minute queue trying to quash my excitement level down, which is easily done when looking at those uninspired shipping containers. Couldn't help thinking that a few bits of broken eggs shells dotted around, or red tentacles snaking around the building, would have been a nice visual touch for the outside.

The actor dispatching riders before the video acted very authoritative and shouted a lot, setting a slightly edgy tone in the room before the video played. From here on N:ST was predominantly a pleasant surprise, simply because I wasn't expecting to feel so immersed within its' narrative. As soon as I stepped into that first claustrophobic lift, the sunshine and grabber machines outside felt a million miles away.

The ride chamber itself was a bit hectic. It jumps from 'pleasant research brief' to 'everything's going horribly wrong'  very quickly; perhaps it would have been scarier if the suspense and fear was built up more gradually. Like little noises or lighting flashes interrupting the egg information display out of the blue, but then things return to normal a few times, just to make things feel a bit more unpredictable.

Anyway, I found the anticipation for the drop was better than the drop itself because it was heightened by the darkness, the rumbling and the spray of water. But the glimpse at the broken eggs below didn't last long enough to deliver much impact in the narrative, maybe instead maintaining the pitch black darkness and just having a really loud 'ROOAAR!!', then several Nemmy eyes glowing in the darkness, would work better. The back prodders and leg ticklers had me laughing and screaming at the same time though, they're a great use of in-seat effects and got a huge reaction from the riders in the chamber.

However, it was the panicked evacuation where I felt the ride really came into it's stride. The malfunctioning second lift, the darkness, strobe lights and loud frantic sounds were genuinely quite stressful. There was a desperate atmosphere and midst the group when those lift doors opened and everyone scrambled to get out.
The beginning of the 'exit 10' style maze was brilliantly ominous, with actors making me jump left, right and center. It was disorientating and confusing; and made very effective use of space; as, considering it is a short maze, I still felt very relieved to find the exit!

As an engrossing experience, N:ST gets a 7/10 from me. A unique new attraction which is an atmospheric and worthwhile addition to the park, but still has room for improvement. It will be interesting to see what they do with it for ScareFest. That said, it still just didn't have that mesmerizing hammer-horror-style *feeling* that Nemesis had in the 90s... (sorry for writing an essay!)
Last edited by BananaRoll on Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thrill_seeker

Hi everyone im new to the forum but I had to comment on this thread  :)

Normally with any new ride at alton towers I do my research first, spoilers mainly, just so I know what to expect.
I'm the sort of person who doesnt take too kindly to surprises and ST really did surprise me!

I never researched ST so I was very nervous when we first got in the lift then sitting down in front of the egg I was getting really scared and anxious but what did it for me was when it went dark and the jabbing in the back and the things whipping my legs the drop didnt effect me as much as the dark did  :cry:

The escape set me off even more i was a quivering wreck and the actors with their masks on didnt help matters I vaguely remember screaming at them 'dont touch me!' lol my husband bless him was my saviour putting his arms around me and guiding me out as quickly as possible!

To be honest I wish I had done my research first then maybe I couldve made a better decision about wether or not I should endure ST.

ST is a fantastic ride to those that 'like' that anticipation but not for me im afraid, im just a big wuss just like I was when I decided to brave SAW LIVE at Thorpe Park *shudder* I lasted 2 mins in that one before fleeing to the nearest fire exit, at least I completed ST  :)
mezza

I've not ridden N:ST (I live in Australia) but I've followed this thread with close interest, and it's amazing to see the transformation.

I've been part of this forum since the beginning of 2006, and, with the possible exception of the Dung Heap, I've never seen an attraction get such a kicking in the beginning as N:ST received.  And that includes Charlie!

However, I'm not sure I've seen a new attraction at AT receiving as much praise as N:ST  now receives.  It's great to see the attention the park has paid to this, and it really seems like an attraction the park can be very proud of.

I do think, though, this attraction will come into its own next year, once it's no longer the 'big new attraction' and attention has turned to SW7.  Expectations will be down, and queues will be down, so this ride will will pack a big 'surprise' punch, much like Hex does.
Last edited by mezza on Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER
Vladimir Bobinski

I'm clearly out of the loop, I only popped on TT as I'm going tomorrow, I wasn't even aware it had closed for a week for these changes.  Having ridden it it's first incarnation and improved tweaked version (which did help a lot), I'm actually quite curious to see what they have done with this.
NatOwls82

I am rubbish at Suspense/Fright rides (much prefer roller coasters) however I am going to have to endure this ride as i am going very shortly with a group of family members who have already started saying "Oh..Im not going on that ride because...ect" So stupidly we've made a pact that Everyone is doing all the big rides..no excuses, no whimping out"... GULP !!
Soooo... Ive read a brief run-down of what happens on the ride by someone on you-tube, however this was written when the ride first opened .. I was happy enough that i could prepare myself after this info ...
THEN I STUMBLED UPON THIS THREAD !! Ive now found out that the ride experience has changed somewhat and now im panicking again!
Can someone give me an updated step by step / run-down of what I should expect on the Sub Terra Ride please?
Looking forward to another visit on 10th July
The Psychoaster

NatOwls82 wrote: I am rubbish at Suspense/Fright rides (much prefer roller coasters) however I am going to have to endure this ride as i am going very shortly with a group of family members who have already started saying "Oh..Im not going on that ride because...ect" So stupidly we've made a pact that Everyone is doing all the big rides..no excuses, no whimping out"... GULP !!
Soooo... Ive read a brief run-down of what happens on the ride by someone on you-tube, however this was written when the ride first opened .. I was happy enough that i could prepare myself after this info ...
THEN I STUMBLED UPON THIS THREAD !! Ive now found out that the ride experience has changed somewhat and now im panicking again!
Can someone give me an updated step by step / run-down of what I should expect on the Sub Terra Ride please?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis:_Sub-Terra

Think it's pretty much accurate, I updated it according to descriptions of the v2 ride.
NatOwls82

Thank you Psychoaster!
Ive just read it and now im very scared lol however i will keep mulling ti over in my head and then it'll be fine! The only bit i am worried about is the scare maze at the end !! Now...do i warn my other group members that i think will have an heart attack, or do i leave them to experience it first hand and hope that the rest of the day is not ruined by people feeling alittle feint ??
TheRealRNixon

NatOwls82 wrote: Thank you Psychoaster!
Ive just read it and now im very scared lol however i will keep mulling ti over in my head and then it'll be fine! The only bit i am worried about is the scare maze at the end !! Now...do i warn my other group members that i think will have an heart attack, or do i leave them to experience it first hand and hope that the rest of the day is not ruined by people feeling alittle feint ??
Dont tell them! I dont know about you but I love knowing something about an attraction and watching my friends and family's reaction when it happens!

However, they will most probably guess as the noise within the surrounding area makes it very apparent there is a scare maze towards the end of the attraction. Personally I dont think it would ruin your day, its just gives you more memorys when looking back, especially if someone in your group is really scared, always makes for good memories :)

I dont know if this helps but, I dislike horror mazes a lot, due to me not liking being scared, and it didnt bother me too much, I suppose it all depends on your scare tolerence, but I went back and rode Sub-Terra another two times after!

And nice dramatics, but I dont think you will have a heart attact ;) It made me laugh though :lol:

Hope you have a great day!

- RyanNixon
@TheRealRNixon
NatOwls82

TheRealRNixon wrote:
NatOwls82 wrote: Thank you Psychoaster!
Dont tell them! I dont know about you but I love knowing something about an attraction and watching my friends and family's reaction when it happens!

However, they will most probably guess as the noise within the surrounding area makes it very apparent there is a scare maze towards the end of the attraction. Personally I dont think it would ruin your day, its just gives you more memorys when looking back, especially if someone in your group is really scared, always makes for good memories :)

I dont know if this helps but, I dislike horror mazes a lot, due to me not liking being scared, and it didnt bother me too much, I suppose it all depends on your scare tolerence, but I went back and rode Sub-Terra another two times after!

And nice dramatics, but I dont think you will have a heart attact ;) It made me laugh though :lol:

Hope you have a great day!

- RyanNixon
Thanks! I'll put some thought into it however and decide if to tell them little tiny bits of info or NOTHING  :lol: :lol:

Im not great of 'the unknown' - I managed the Pasaje del Terror @ Blackpool Pleasure Beach afew years back.. JUST ..But I HATED every second of it!  :shock:

My Mum is my main concern as I fear that if N:ST scares her enough, she'll refuse to go on anymore rides all day! (N:ST will be our first planned ride) = NOT GOOD NEWS  :(

I am looking forward to seeing my Brothers and their partners reactions tho  :twisted: :twisted:
mrbrightside

You could always try leaving it until later in the day? It's good to do at the start to avoid queues and potential breakdowns (though the ride isn't suffering as much downtime as it was) - but later in the day the queue probably won't get much higher than 45 minutes.

Again, it's up to you but if you are worried about it putting people off, then maybe try it later when you're all feeling a wee bit more brave.
ImageImage
NatOwls82

mrbrightside wrote: You could always try leaving it until later in the day? It's good to do at the start to avoid queues and potential breakdowns (though the ride isn't suffering as much downtime as it was) - but later in the day the queue probably won't get much higher than 45 minutes.

Again, it's up to you but if you are worried about it putting people off, then maybe try it later when you're all feeling a wee bit more brave.
Good idea! I'll ask them to see what they want to do
45 mins max? That is good! I'd have thought the queues would have been alot bigger - even tho the park will hopefully be quite quiet
TheRealRNixon

Sorry about this! But im changing the topic slightly.

As we all know Sub-Terra was not fully completed upon opening day, however it has now gone through vast improments and is up to the standard, I feel, Alton orginally wanted on opening day, but does anyone think there might be more improvments yet to come? If so, what? and if not, what improvements would you like to see?

- RyanNixon
@TheRealRNixon
mrbrightside

NatOwls82 wrote:
mrbrightside wrote: You could always try leaving it until later in the day? It's good to do at the start to avoid queues and potential breakdowns (though the ride isn't suffering as much downtime as it was) - but later in the day the queue probably won't get much higher than 45 minutes.

Good idea! I'll ask them to see what they want to do
45 mins max? That is good! I'd have thought the queues would have been alot bigger - even tho the park will hopefully be quite quiet
The full length queue is only 60 minutes... The ride doesn't need a queue longer than that as, after this season, I doubt the queue will ever reach that time again. I'm not sure when you're going, but if it isn't a particularly busy day I wouldn't expect it to go over 45 minutes (and on quiet days it probably won't touch 30 to be honest!)
ImageImage