Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Dormiens-Dave

Can we get back on topic please, the discussion on TTF's lack of influence is pushing us was off course :)
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

What order do the towers drop?
Bote

Any I believe. I'm pretty sure the sequencing is done at random by the ride computers from what I've heard :)
The Psychoaster

Bote wrote: Any I believe. I'm pretty sure the sequencing is done at random by the ride computers from what I've heard :)
Does anyone know how long the maximum time between the first and last drops is? I know that's a bit of a geeky question, but I've ridden it twice (v1 and v1.5) and never bothered to check.  :oops:
siralgenon

The Psychoaster wrote:
Bote wrote: Any I believe. I'm pretty sure the sequencing is done at random by the ride computers from what I've heard :)
Does anyone know how long the maximum time between the first and last drops is? I know that's a bit of a geeky question, but I've ridden it twice (v1 and v1.5) and never bothered to check.  :oops:
This isn't official but the drop within 5 secs of each other, it's not long  :)
The Psychoaster

siralgenon wrote:
The Psychoaster wrote:
This isn't official but the drop within 5 secs of each other, it's not long  :)
Thought it would be something like that, hopefully next time I go the new lighting will make this easier to see.
Joelio

What is the current show length then, with the addition of the scaremaze? So from bag drop to bag collection.

I'm of the mindset that roughly 5-7 minutes would be needed to produce a decent experience, some would argue for women that in excess of 16 minutes, but nobody can last that long really, can they? ;)
Pennywise

Joelio wrote: What is the current show length then, with the addition of the scaremaze? So from bag drop to bag collection.
The attraction duration is, at a minimum, 5 minutes upon timing. That's having been the first people out of the lifts and rushing through the scare zone at the end of the attraction, along with having everything previous to that completely in sync and working fully.

It is easily long enough to become immersed in the experience and, after riding it on Saturday, I now believe it to be a complete attraction. People can say whatever they like about it being an 'add-on' or 'accepting that the ride has failed', I simply see it as improvement to an already enjoyable attraction. Those who spoke to me on opening day will be aware that a 'scare maze' was exactly what I felt needed to be added to round off Sub Terra, and I'm glad that it has been incorporated into the experience.

On opening day I was reminded of Stitch's Great Escape (which is, in itself, a Disney attraction) and I failed to enjoy it... now it's utterly terrifying. A near-perfect experience ride which rivals Hex for me. :)
Last edited by Pennywise on Tue May 29, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

i have got to admit i am very impressed with the way Sub-Terra has improved over the last few months. while i have never though the ride was a complete waste of space it did lack something.

upon my second visit some cosmetic changes had been made, pre-show screens before the lift actual explaining what the hell was going on ect. today however i was REALLY surprised to find myself and most of the other guests enjoying the attraction!

the new additions to the ride really help to bring it all together and the addition of the maze at the end helps keep the tension running high where as before it was a feeling of "OMG I'm in a lift being attacked by a monster...ooh doors have opened I'm off to get my bag"

one thing I'm not sure about though. did the eggs in the pit used to be whole eggs or were they hatched? as i have only ever ridden the ride in area 3 today i was in area 1 so I'm not sure if they are new hatched eggs or just a view i haven't seen before!
nemesismad

Hey guys, just got back from the resort today and tried out the new and improved sub terra and all i'll say is WOW !!!

If you want to see my video from today of general public reactions upon exiting the final scaremaze section of the ride click the link below  :D

djtruefitt

Dave wrote: one thing I'm not sure about though. did the eggs in the pit used to be whole eggs or were they hatched? as i have only ever ridden the ride in area 3 today i was in area 1 so I'm not sure if they are new hatched eggs or just a view i haven't seen before!
As far as I can remember all the eggs were whole before. And all the hatched eggs and lighting down there is new. Im pretty sure the eggs didnt used to be so close to you.

I did the ride a few times yesterday and I still loved it and it seemed the majority of people came out the exit pretty scared. I belive there are 4 or 5 actors in total. The only thing that wasnt working yesterday was the air that blows on your neck. I didnt even notice that it wasnt working until Mark Kerringan (who was stood at the exit) told us that it wasnt working today.
Last edited by djtruefitt on Tue May 29, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nemesismad

Heres a few photo's to keep anyone occupied whi hasn't yet been  :D

enjoy  :D
TheRealRNixon

I am new to the Towers Times forums as of today, and have just read through the thread for Nemesis: Sub-Terra, some of the comments are very accurate to what my opinion of Sub-Terra was on opening weekend, as I had the opportunity to ride Sub-Terra both days on opening weekend I came out rather let down with the attraction itself, especially due to the marketing behind it, unfortunatly I havnt had the opportunity to ride Sub-Terra since the improvments have been made. So due to this I have a few questions :)

Since its small rehab, has the drop within the main ride chamber become more forceful? Having ridden the Extremsis ride within the London Dungeons I was slightly dissapointed of the power of Sub-Terra's drop.

Also, does anyone think they will do something with this attraction for the Scarefest this year? It would be quite exciting if they did, and just wanted to know if anyone had an idea if or what they would like to see done to the attraction during this years Scarefest event.
- RyanNixon
@TheRealRNixon
Pennywise

TheRealRNixon wrote: Since its small rehab, has the drop within the main ride chamber become more forceful? Having ridden the Extremsis ride within the London Dungeons I was slightly dissapointed of the power of Sub-Terra's drop.

Also, does anyone think they will do something with this attraction for the Scarefest this year? It would be quite exciting if they did, and just wanted to know if anyone had an idea if or what they would like to see done to the attraction during this years Scarefest event.
Welcome to TTF!

In response to your first question, no, the drop itself is completely unaffected by the changes.

In answer to your second, who knows? I doubt it though, following the addition of the 'scare zone' on a permanent basis, I can think of very little in terms of obvious improvements that could be made to Sub Terra for Scarefest. Alton Towers' budget would be better spent in ensuring the return of Duel: Live or Hex: Live, in my opinion.
TheRealRNixon

Welcome to TTF!

In response to your first question, no, the drop itself is completely unaffected by the changes.

In answer to your second, who knows? I doubt it though, following the addition of the 'scare zone' on a permanent basis, I can think of very little in terms of obvious improvements that could be made to Sub Terra for Scarefest. Alton Towers' budget would be better spent in ensuring the return of Duel: Live or Hex: Live, in my opinion.
Thanks very much!

About the drop itself, that is a shame, however, with the addition to the scaremaze ending and all of the other little improvments, that the drop itself does not matter too much (im just a big air time fan is all :lol: ).

I do agree, at last years scarefest event, I did miss the addition of Duel: Live, as it was a personal favourite.

Also one last question, does anybody on the forums feel as though Sub-Terra would benefit with the use of seatbelts (similar to those on ToT) as opposed to the lap bar it currently has in place? As I feel with the introduction of seatbelts it would give rider a much stronger feeling on vulnerability, and possible highten the atmosphere currently in the ride chamber. However, the downside to this would be that it would lengthen the loading/unloading process. Any thoughts?
- RyanNixon
@TheRealRNixon
Nightfall

TheRealRNixon wrote: Also one last question, does anybody on the forums feel as though Sub-Terra would benefit with the use of seatbelts (similar to those on ToT) as opposed to the lap bar it currently has in place? As I feel with the introduction of seatbelts it would give rider a much stronger feeling on vulnerability, and possible heighten the atmosphere currently in the ride chamber. However, the downside to this would be that it would lengthen the loading/unloading process. Any thoughts?
Not possible, although a nice idea. The ToT carts are (to my knowledge) an enclosed cubicle. Therefore the seat belts are only there to stop you from coming out of your seat on the drop. Remove them (as people have done) and you’re not in any real danger. However for Sub-Terra if someone removed the belt they could fall straight out of their seat and into real danger.
[align=center]Image[/align]
djtruefitt

Also with a sealbelt, someone could quite simply undo it and get out at the bottom and cause all kind of problems!

Another slight thing that we noticed yesterday is that the queue line entrance board has been updated with some text now saying something along the lines of "this ride contain a live action scare maze with actors..." similar to what the scare mazes say.
Kaycee

Love the changes! Really hope they keep it up with the actors at the end. Seems a large amount of effort has gone into improvements, and on the three occasions I've ridden Sub Terra, the experience has really gone from something quite forgettable, to something unique and surreal. :D
TheRealRNixon

Not possible, although a nice idea. The ToT carts are (to my knowledge) an enclosed cubicle. Therefore the seat belts are only there to stop you from coming out of your seat on the drop. Remove them (as people have done) and you’re not in any real danger. However for Sub-Terra if someone removed the belt they could fall straight out of their seat and into real danger.
Also with a sealbelt, someone could quite simply undo it and get out at the bottom and cause all kind of problems!
Thanks for the replies!

Thanks Nightfall :) I just wanted to see the posibility of this being done!

On djtruefitt's point, if I am correct, when theme parks use seatbelts (like on ToT) the belt is then locked so the rider cannot undo the belt until the ride is finished, or a staff member releases them at an emergency stop. :) I am prepared to eat my words if im wrong! :lol:

Its nice to be welcomed onto a forum in the way I have, I look forward to posting again in the future.

As of date, I havnt much to say about Sub-Terra in its current form as I have only rode the attraction on the opening weekend, after reading posts on here I am excited to experience Sub-Terra v1.5, especially after all of the positive reviews given by people on here :)
- RyanNixon
@TheRealRNixon
djneice

With TOT, there are videos on YouTube of people undoing the seat belts to get air out of the seat