Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Rob L

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: Nevertheless, it looks as if they are serious about improving the ride. I can't see them being able to fit much in there though, other than a shop.

:)
There is already a shop, this won't be a shop.

AstroDan

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: Forgive me for not managing to conjure up any excitement over the addition of yet another themeless shipping container...

Nevertheless, it looks as if they are serious about improving the ride. I can't see them being able to fit much in there though, other than a shop.

Well, the rest of the building is just green. So really, this shipping container merely continues that trend. It fits in with the existing structure.

As for the space, if you consider all the available space following the lifts, in the exisiting corridor, and the addition of this container, then actually, you have some reasonable space.

CoasterCrazyChris

Rob wrote:
CoasterCrazyChris wrote: Nevertheless, it looks as if they are serious about improving the ride. I can't see them being able to fit much in there though, other than a shop.

There is already a shop, this won't be a shop.

I thought that they might have decided to go ahead with the original plans to build a shop at the end of the ride, possibly because they realised that a tiny tin shed is just not big enough.

Is there room in that shipping container to add an extra element to the ride? They could have a scare zone, but how would that work given the nature of the ride? And we don't even know if he actors will still be on the ride after this season.
Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Sun May 20, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDan

There is room, with the shipping container and the pre-existing corridor, to add a room or two which could be used to add a scary, actor and special effect led ending to the experience.
siralgenon

Something I just put on Facebook which i'll put on here too:

The thing I was wondering was, I presume the people scaring you will be 'Phalanx Operators', but then I thought why would they be scaring you? If you should be scared of anything it would be the Nemesis creature which is on the loose, the people who are meant to be protecting you aren't going to be jumping out at you are they? Any thoughts?
Nightfall

One advantage of shipping containers is that they are very easy to fit. I expected at least a day for them to move it into place but already it's up and internal work can begin. I'm guessing at some point they'll paint over the old sign which is now half obscured by the container. It'd also be nice if they added the canvas canopy that was originally in the plans and a few more external features but of course it's what they do inside that matters.
[align=center]Image[/align]
Magrathea

The combination of the added space given by the shipping container and ALL the unused space from the lift exits onward which was already there should give ample room for new additions to the experience, and with new actors just employed and new hands at the helm of Ents, it should be interesting to see what these additions entail :)
Rob L

I just hope the additions are more than just this new experience at the end of the ride. They desperately need to do something at the bottom of the drop. I don't expect the drop sequence to change at all, however nice that would be, but something at the bottom is a minimum requirement for me when it does re-open.

Bunbury

Nemesis Sub Terra presents... The Shed Of Dread.
AstroDan

Rob wrote: I just hope the additions are more than just this new experience at the end of the ride. They desperately need to do something at the bottom of the drop. I don't expect the drop sequence to change at all, however nice that would be, but something at the bottom is a minimum requirement for me when it does re-open.

Hopefully that will happen, as the one thing that has been consistently discussed as a way to improve the experience - since it opened - has been something at the bottom of the drop to scare guests.
Mattia

siralgenon wrote: The thing I was wondering was, I presume the people scaring you will be 'Phalanx Operators', but then I thought why would they be scaring you? If you should be scared of anything it would be the Nemesis creature which is on the loose, the people who are meant to be protecting you aren't going to be jumping out at you are they? Any thoughts?
But the thing is, the protection goes wrong from within the chamber. So if this is a mini-scare scene and the characters inside are phalanx operatives then it can be an extension of that idea.

I hope they don't jump out at you and try to rush you in that obvious way - it's just one over-rated and over-used scare. They can still inject fear by the feeling of great uncertainty, which can easily be established with the use of the operatives causing panic, being dragged out from within, clever effects and tight spaces. I'd personally find those I put my trust and security into, who then become as panicked as you, much more unnerving. The idea they are helping you to escape your nightmare underground from the monster who is within the vents etc and are just as freaked as you is better than survivors or nemesis' off-spring/creatures jumping out.

I think all of it should be more effects led than actor-led - despite this going against my preference - purely for the experience to remain far more consistent throughout the day so the guests continue to have the same experience.
Last edited by Mattia on Sun May 20, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldgitBEN

Just to clarify for anyone that thought this was going to be the shop from original plans.

Have a look at the original plans, the shop was going to be in the Edge games unit, which was to be refurbed to match Terry, but was pulled due to money.
Blaze

On the original plans, there was a little corridor round that side of the building, so I guess that's what they're building, just enclosed?

It's certainly not a shop.
siralgenon

I hope they make the exit corridor look like one of the rock sections, like the elevator didn't make it to the top and you have to find your way out! Not gunna happen though...
Tom G

All this container says to me is shop or photo booth.

Merlin are pushing photographs so much now it's staggering it never opened with one in the first place!
AstroDan

Tom G wrote: All this container says to me is shop or photo booth.

Merlin are pushing photographs so much now it's staggering it never opened with one in the first place!
They are not going to add an entire new unit, solely for an upsell opportunity.

This is entirely about making the ride experience better.
Tom G

AstroDan wrote:
Tom G wrote: All this container says to me is shop or photo booth.

They are not going to add an entire new unit, solely for an upsell opportunity.

This is entirely about making the ride experience better.
They would easily given how quickly it would pay for itself.

However, I do not know what it is going to be, I was merely pointing out what it screams out to me.
Magrathea

And aside from it being an utterly absurd idea, there's also the fact that no-one would be able to pay for anything as they wouldn't yet have their bags back!
Khalichanan

Magrathea wrote: And aside from it being an utterly absurd idea, there's also the fact that no-one would be able to pay for anything as they wouldn't yet have their bags back!
Let's hope this obvservation means that we can all stop worrying that it might be a shop. It obviously isn't.
AstroDan

Upon closer observation of the building, there are clearly "walls/dividers" inside. You can see them.

There's a larger photo on the TT Facebook page.