Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Jordan

dementedde wrote:after a bomb is thrown into the cave where you can hear the explosion underneath you.
:lol:
thefatone

If they had the container at the end, that'd surely darken up after you leave the exit lifts a bit?

Surely that'd be quite good - leaving the lifts, thinking its all over.. but actually.. there's still that bit more? Would probably scare some people after they've thought it's all finished..
MattsDesigns

Jordan wrote:
dementedde wrote:after a bomb is thrown into the cave where you can hear the explosion underneath you.
:lol:
For this they could use this device I invented called a Pyro-Speaker - It simulates a pyrotechnic flash pot/ flash pod: http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/pyrospeaker.html
Infact I'm sure my device is in the concept art
-If you see on the back wall there is clearly a speaker with smoke coming out of it - which is basically what my device looks like. I did send this idea to Merlin Procurement last year or year before trying to find out if there was a market but never heard anything from them.

Since I put it on the website I added a spark generator to the patent aswell.

For obvious reasons you can't use REAL pyrotechnics in a repeating ride so I thought/still think its a good idea for Parks :)
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Sat May 19, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Jammydodger

Would be great to see something truly terrifying at the end. That way they could then filter out the wimps who don't want to go on at the original exit. I think they should look to replicate something experiment 10 style, only designed for bulk usage, we know how scary Merlin can make a shipping container, and if they're truly seeking redemption I would expect  nothing less. 
AstroDan

Some sort of sparks (like in Hex Octagon), or similated electric sparks would be awesome!
MattsDesigns

That concept art has sparks - and sparks are still sort of mysterious as you can't buy a spark generator at Maplin.
I think they should have them aswell but there must be a slight fire hazard with the machine itself.

Maybe you can create fake sparks by splitting a yellow laser beam into tiny thin beams with a crystal or something and then flashing them in a small cloud of haze. Could work, but like anything like that you have to "prove" it before you really know.
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Sat May 19, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
ryanlovesaltontowers

One thing I always think Sub-Terra lacks is smoke, smoke is one of the best easy effects to use and creates a lot more of an atmosphere. Perhaps a smoke machine placed within the underground section so as when the rows drop, people are plunged into the smoke, then when it rises some of the smoke is brought back up, and some would rise through the holes in the floor.
saxineno

I went on Sub-Terra today when they eventually got it working (broke down twice in the early morning, meaning we got free fast tracks, yay!)

If we'd queued longer for the ride, I may have been more disappointed, and my expectations were already low from what I'd read on TT, but actually I thought the ride was fairly good.  The staff made a massive effort to add atmosphere and were fairly successful.

My two friends (who only knew about the ride from the TV adverts) hated it! Said it was absolute rubbish and that they'd never go on it again.  My only complaint was that you could see daylight through the a small crack on the side of one of the exit lifts, but this disappeared fairly quickly.

I also thought the extensive queue videos were quite good, they run for quite a long time before repeating the material.

I'm looking forward to people's reviews after the changes next week :)
AstroDan

I found similar last week. I was quite positive about it, with all the changes, but all of the others I was with, who rarely visit, said it was rubbish.

:(
Spike
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

If they add what is rumored to be added then it could give Terry the well deserved credit that should be given. I really can't wait to see these changes.  :D
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*
Dormiens-Dave

Indeed i'm hopeful the additions will add some substance to the ride that the GP will like, whats there is fine it just needs more.
Jordan

AstroDan wrote: Some sort of sparks (like in Hex Octagon), or similated electric sparks would be awesome!
Thing is, sparks seems such a small thing in terms of effect, and whilst it's lovely to have the added extras, wouldn't the money be better spent on something more substantial that the public might feel extends the attraction?
AstroDan

Oh absolutely! I mean sparks just as some small part of what they're doing!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
Johno

MattsDesigns wrote: That concept art has sparks - and sparks are still sort of mysterious as you can't buy a spark generator at Maplin.
I think they should have them aswell but there must be a slight fire hazard with the machine itself.

Maybe you can create fake sparks by splitting a yellow laser beam into tiny thin beams with a crystal or something and then flashing them in a small cloud of haze. Could work, but like anything like that you have to "prove" it before you really know.
The concept are wasn't from AT.
Magrathea

From TowersTimes News:
As reported on TowersTimes last week, Nemesis Sub-Terra is closed this week to allow for planned maintenance and improvements.  It is thought the ride's manufacturer, ABC Rides are onsite tweaking the ride system, but reports this week suggest even more could be in store.

A large container is now positioned between the ride's exit and baggage hold, in a similar style to the rest of the building and bearing the Phalanx logo, suggesting an extension to the existing experience.  Along with this, the park have been advertising for additional actors.  It is now thought that some sort of scare maze or walkthrough could be added to the attraction, improving the experience for guests.

Since opening, Nemesis Sub-Terra has been the subject of mixed guest feedback, both from enthusiasts here on TowersTimes Forums and by the general public, and has already undergone significant tweaks operationally.  Many have suggested the attraction is too short and crucially, not scary enough compared to the marketing it received before its launch.

Mark Kerrigan, the park's Operations and Development Director, already signalled to TowersTimes during our birthday event earlier this month that the ride was not yet fully signed off.  Could this signal a response to the negative feedback the park has received since the ride opened?

Nemesis Sub-Terra is due to reopen on Saturday 26th May, and TowersTimes will be at Alton Towers Resort that weekend to report on the new additions to the experience.
:)
ATJoseph

Can we have a picture of this container? Please
AstroDan

Joseph, the towerstimes slaves will endeavour to get photo's up later...

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
Last edited by AstroDan on Sun May 20, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDan

Photo's from today

All photographs are the property of TowersTimes/AstroDan:

The above show that everything following the 2nd lifts (what was previously just a plain corridor) to the exits will now be in darkness.

Blizzard

Right, so we now know something is being added after the exit lifts, but what about the ride chamber itsself?

I think a big Nemesis monster would be a good addition to the bottom of the drop, with an ear piercing ROAR!
The towers themselves could have a king of hopping system, with multiple drops, making the ride a little longer.

I just hope all this "Improving" works!

Credit To SIMR for the signature & Avatar.
CoasterCrazyChris

Forgive me for not managing to conjure up any excitement over the addition of yet another themeless shipping container...

Nevertheless, it looks as if they are serious about improving the ride. I can't see them being able to fit much in there though, other than a shop.