Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Vik

Had 3 goes on Sub Terra today.  Never really had anything more than a 20 minute queue despite the information boards suggesting rather higher  :lol:

Any, on we went, with much anticipation over the improvements which had allegedly been made to the attraction.  I had feared the worst, but alas, I came out the other side very impressed.

Siralgenon has covered what is changed a few posts above, though will just give my own thoughts on the changes he has mentioned.

The scanners are rather annoying if anything with the beeping.  Bearable as a guest listening to the beeps maybe over a few ride cycles.  Must be annoying for the staff though.  To note, the right hand scanners beep was not working.

The blackout blinds placed on the doorway you enter the pre-lift area help darken this area and give a little bit more of an intimidating feel.  Good to get a bit of a back story before you enter the lifts.  At least this now sets the scene for the following scenes.  The entry lifts also feel much better than two weeks ago.

Worth noting that staff outside were not shouting like they were two weeks ago, but rather walking around, staring intimidatingly at guests through darkened glasses.  Inside they were still barking orders.  Though I think on one occasion they came close to overstepping the mark of what could be deemed acceptable.  On the whole though it worked well.

Main ride area, when the egg starts to come to life, you are plunged in to darkness, hear the cracking of the egg, then sprayed with the water effect.  Hear some alien like howls. Didn't witness any issues regarding the lights not going out before the egg 'hatched'.  When the lights come back on, the egg has hatched, and you can hear the alien close by.  When you eventually drop, you get prodded in the back and the back of the legs.  Giving the impression the alien is running around you.  The following 'evacuation' is much better executed, with the 'remain in your seats' bit removed.  Much less rushed, but still rather intense.

The final lift is much more violent, and are plunged in to darkness when the alien tries to get in.  Also very loud, and thus, rather intimidating. 

Overall the changes seem to of had a positive effect.  Two weeks ago guests were coming out saying 'Is that it', 'That was rubbish', and other phrases which could not possibly be written here  :P.  Today, when people come out nervously  laughing, it kind of figures that the whole experience has done what it initially set out to achieve, and that is to scare people.  Listening to guests giving their views to the staff doing the surveys, on the whole, they were very positive.  Two weeks ago, they seemed vastly negative.

The drop may still not be fantastic, but in pitch blackness, with all that noise, and knowing the alien has already hatched from the egg and escaped, it does seem to work alot better, as some fear has already been placed in the minds of those riding.

I still think it wont be to everyones tastes.  However, it is much less rushed, but still has the intensity there to give a good overall experience.  I hope that this eventually settles down to be a reasonably decent experience.

:D
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

DeadJack5

So by the sounds of replies, sub terra queues have been about 30 minutes long?

Sorry about being off topic abit
siralgenon

Deadjack5 wrote: So by the sounds of replies, sub terra queues have been about 30 minutes long?

Sorry about being off topic abit
Yeah, the queue was 30 mins for most of the day, but kept being advertised as 45.

And looks like it only messed up for me - great.
DeadJack5

Oh right, thanks :D

I know this is majorly of topic but what is the queue times for the rest of the park like? Sorry it's majorly off topic  :oops: I'm going tuesday/Wednesday and I wanted to know what queues there would be  :)
Last edited by DeadJack5 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W@LLI$

People still saying that sub-terra is crap! It really annoys me cus we all know that AT made a risk, yeah, and didn't make it what they wanted it to be, but it is the fact that they improved it and people are saying its a let down. I know that people have their opinions but not everything will be prefect and how they like it, they need to give AT a break! I put my hat down for them for trying!
Sorry guys but it had to be said, just fill sorry for AT :(
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
[url=http://"http://ridesims.com/users/4791-cawallis123/"]Image[/url]
Bear

W@LLI$ wrote: People still saying that sub-terra is crap! It really annoys me cus we all know that AT made a risk, yeah, and didn't make it what they wanted it to be, but it is the fact that they improved it and people are saying its a let down. I know that people have their opinions but not everything will be prefect and how they like it, they need to give AT a break! I put my hat down for them for trying!
Sorry guys but it had to be said, just fill sorry for AT :(
They're supposed to be the UK's flagship theme park... and yet they come out with something dreadfully sub-par ( ;)) such as this, and expected to get away with it! I don't know if you've done Sub-Terra, W@LLI$, but it was sheer, utter, undeniable pap on opening day! They need to make seriously big changes to make it a proper Alton Towers attraction, and I don't mean the kind of changes you can implement during a few hours of park-close on a night. They need a good couple of weeks or a month of solid work on it before it'll be up to standard.
mrbrightside

W@LLI$ we've been giving towers a break since opening day... Everyone has said what incredible potential the ride had but how it was such a shame that it hadn't been reached. Then news broke that the ride was going to receive more work - and people have credited towers for this.

Now the ride seems to have vastly improved, but once again it isn't perfect. So people are suggesting more ideas and pointing out problems whilst equally praising the improvements that have been made.

We shouldn't 'give them a break' because some changes have been made. We should praise this but encourage yet more to make this attraction as perfect as it can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Benzin

Depends what you say would class it as a 'proper' attraction really... What could be changed to further improve it? Without really affecting the throughput and within the space available using a system that cannot physically drop twice...

Answers on a postcard please! (But you can only have ridden it since the newest version ;))
Satch

I'm sorry. They tried, a multi-million pound earning leisure attraction, the largest theme park in the country, the flagship park to the "second only to Disney" leisure operator TRIED TO INSTAL A £5m ATTRACTION.

Hats off to them. They tried.

Trying is not and never good enough if they expect to maintain the reputation they believe they hold.

It's time people stopped treading on egg shells and patting the metaphorical head of Towers like they are a kicked puppy
thefatone

They tried, and it's better than anything which has previously been there.. plus it's an enjoyable experience. Jolly good fun.

This was the testing the water to make immersive themed rides at UK parks, and if the project was successful to continue it. Now, the question is.. do us enthusiasts who want immersive themed experiences (but slate them when they arrive) want merlin to continue down this path?
TomahawkTom

can I just ask, is it the same as extremis in London Dungeon, or is it worse?
Satch

I don't want Merlin to continue full stop. They need somebody with imagination to manage the park, not a company whose only concern is greed
W@LLI$

TomahawkTom wrote: can I just ask, is it the same as extremis in London Dungeon, or is it worse?
It is the same height but you get on at the top and effects are built into the seats
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
Benzin

And who is going to want to buy the park at this current time?

If people think Merlin are greedy, what were DIC?
siralgenon

Benzin wrote: Depends what you say would class it as a 'proper' attraction really... What could be changed to further improve it? Without really affecting the throughput and within the space available using a system that cannot physically drop twice...

Answers on a postcard please! (But you can only have ridden it since the newest version ;))
After riding sub-terra yesterday I praised the new changes yet I still outlined a few issues that still needed to be resolved. Now I know others have said that these problems were not there when they experienced the attraction, but it's still obviously having technical problems as they were there when I went on. These were:

-The egg can be seen changing in the centre of the room.
-The lights didn't come on in the pit.

These small faults play a big role in the overall experience and SHOULD be working everytime.
W@LLI$

Just found this on Alton Towers facebook page!
To be honest, I think most people seem to forget that Sub-Terra is meant as an experience rather than a ride. But then again, most people are talking and don't listen or watch the pre-shows, therefore only judge the ride on the drop and effects. If you actually bothered to watch the pre-shows and take it all in, you might find you have a much more pleasant experience.
SO TRUE! :D
Last edited by W@LLI$ on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
Tom G

TomahawkTom wrote: can I just ask, is it the same as extremis in London Dungeon, or is it worse?
The drop is certainly less forceful, the units are lighter and there is no London-style yank. Apparently it's the same height but it feels and looks shorter to me (but I'm not prepared to argue over that because I can't be certain).
Coaster_Dude

Weight does not affect freefall, although the big peice of floor attached to the system will undoubtedly act like a big parachute and take some of the punch away from the drop.
Tom G

Correct, and the de-acceleration forces are less intense.
mrbrightside

Compared to Th13teen, it certainly packs less of a punch in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage