Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Squiggles

Satch wrote: To those complaining about the rock... The general bedrock in Forbidden Valley is Bromagrove Sandstone, which is typically red in colour, and fluvial in origin. The rock in the tunnel looks fairly close to this description IMO
<Adds "Satch's Brief Guide to the Geology of Alton Towers" to his Christmas book list.> :)
Last edited by Squiggles on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edwardo..... move me!
Danielle

I visited the park with two non-enthusiasts on Monday and the disappointment of Sub-Terra was pretty much the subject of conversation all day. I hadn't read any reviews or reports about the ride, so here are some thoughts:

I like the queue line videos, but (like others have said) I don't think they explain the story very well. If I hadn't already explained it to the people I was with, they wouldn't have a clue what they were going on.

The main entrance (pre-lift) was a shambles. Staff were shouting orders about where to stand and when to enter the lift, but people were just standing round looking at each other, wondering what to do. A few people actually said "...what?".

The lift didn't add anything to the experience. It was clear it wasn't actually moving and everyone looked bored.

When we entered the cave it was very dark, and there were no announcements about what to do so everyone was fumbling around looking for seats. We sat there for around 10 minutes, while the "sit down and put your arms up" announcement finally played...6 times.

All I remember after that is a lot of lights, a small drop and a spray of water, then we were all being told to leave (everyone looked bemused while walking to the exit).

In the exit lift, people were either still looking confused or laughing at the movement. When we exited the amount of "that was ****" and "is that it?" comments were unbelievable. The press were interviewing people and asked someone if it was "as scary as they thought". I only hope they picked up the shout of "now I'm going on the tea cups for a real thrill!" in the background.

I was disappointed in the lack of story integration (after all the build-up) and those I was with were generally disappointed in the ride itself. I even overheard staff in the Dark Forest speaking about the amount of people who had told them how disappointed they were with Sub-Terra.

My intention isn't to put anyone off, though! And I'll be going on again in the future to see if they have enhanced it at all.
AstroDan

I think 'bemusement' captures the general vibe after the main show. People seemed confused, how on earth that was the main portion of the ride etc.

Certainly, only a small few seemed impressed in any way.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
Satch

I've had a few more thoughts as to why the ride fails to create the 'experience'.

A psychological experience praying on your worst nightmares
That to me is the crux of what is wrong. They have stated that this is a psychological thrill. To me, that means creating fear by the power of suggestion, and this can only work by subtle, unexpected effects. Nothing inside the main chamber is subtle enough. In fact, it uses obvious crashes and bangs that are drowned out by water splashing on you again, and again, and again.

The Nemesis monster
They understood that Nemesis is still the scariest ride on park, and wanted to extend on this story. Except they forget that what makes Nemesis scary is the intimidating roller coaster track that you travel along, not the monster which forms the centrepiece. That is a fun addition to the theming, and helps create the story around the ride, but it isn't why riders go on it. Secondly, the story of Nemesis has been completely lost in its 18 year existence. Sub Terra is expecting people to know this story, and be afraid of the monster. But with no story inside Sub Terra, that's a very large expectation for guests to be able to translate the theming of one ride into the crux of the story of another.
Tom G

ChocolateOrange wrote:
Tom G wrote:
No, it was when you said that from what you've seen, people were saying it was faultless.

I think that's more than enough from me tonight anyway.
My Grammar was a bit bad, I meant that I found the Atmosphere Faultless, not that others did
My mistake sorry.  :)
Wildboy

I think the problem with this kind of ride experience is that what makes a ride thrilling is the unexpected. Oblivion works because on a first ride you dont know how its going to feel to freefall into a hole into the ground. Nemesis works by gradually turning up the dial as you negotiate the first third of the ride to an intense force that cannot be calculated before experiencing it. Blackpool Mouse works by making you think you genuinly will not make around the next hairpin without disaster.

When generic effects like water squirts are used to scare, it becomes too familier and expected. For a ride experience to be scary, it needs to tread past what is comfortable and what a rider has prepared themselves for. It needs to overstep the line of what is perceived to be safe. Now if the second lift was actually a stand up simulator that tossed people around inside, sub terra would be a fully rounded experience that becomes the finale of the ride experience.
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983
Islander

Wildboy wrote:Now if the second lift was actually a stand up simulator that tossed people around inside, sub terra would be a fully rounded experience that becomes the finale of the ride experience.
Isn't that exactly what the second lift currently is?
Tom M

Just come off Sub Terra. I can confirm that the back prodders and leg ticklers are now working. :)
Ripsaw Raver

sooooooooooo did it add to the experience.. does sub terra now have some saving grace?
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Tom G

Any good? Had you been on it before without them?
Tom M

It's just a quick prod and a quick whip of the legs. It seemed a bit better, made everyone scream lol.
Ripsaw Raver

so let me get this straight. you go in room goes dark, get hit with air(drop) darkness little water sprays, then back prod and legs and then up to the top?

Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Tom M

Yep pretty much.
Ripsaw Raver

does the molestation err i mean effects happen all at once or to each row at different times?

Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Tom G

I love the idea of different timed pokes and prods to simulate it moving between the group and it creates anticipation when you hear others scream.

I think the addition of effects could make the difference, but because many of us have already been on it without, the effect has been lost really.
Pual46

Nemesis Sub-Terra, what can I say???? My day would have been more enjoyable if the ride was closed!!!!
It is not for me to ask, but to wonder why!
seanyboyuk

wow all you guys have certainly convinced me not to part with my cash for a trip to AT for this year! What a fail AT have on their hands i think!
Poison Tom 96

seanyboyuk wrote: wow all you guys have certainly convinced me not to part with my cash for a trip to AT for this year! What a fail AT have on their hands i think!
I would say that terry is a very good reason to part with your money. Along with Ice Age i enjoyed both immensely :D
Mattia

The problem is, Alton have tried so hard and they're still hated for it. I'm not saying Sub:Terra is the diamond in the crown but it definitely has potential. The potential I believe Alton envision it having since it was planned, yet for reasons unknown it seems to have been lost in the making. Yet, it's being shot down before given a chance to be rectified.

I reckon/hope over the next few weeks Alton will improve it. Unlike charlie which is restricted by various laws and IP restraints, Alton are free to tweak and modify this as much as they want and need to.

I haven't ridden it yet, but what needs praise here is the effort. Being a fan of experiences rather than rides I believe every detail counts. So surely the costumes, the (albeit weak at the moment) theme, the ambience and the general effort that Alton have wanted to implement in this ride is worth receiving credit. Just give them time and faith to perfect the experience and it'll be something pretty good for Alton's standards.
ryanlovesaltontowers

In my eyes, an easy way to enhance the theme would be to incorporate a proper storyline into the ride, not just the videos playing in the queue line. Using Hex as an example, the ride compared to other models of its type around the world is better because of the story it plays before you board the ride. Like i said before this is how i think the ride should pan out:

- Queueline videos kept the same, intrigues guests (just like Hex)
- Once in 'batching area', doors close and video green start to play an introductory type video explaining why the Phalanx are there, the video should freeze and a woman's voiceover should warn guests of impending energy surges.
- The lift doors open, you walk in, as the lift 'descends' the video screen should have a scientist type man talking to you as if he is live right now inside the 'Core'.
- Passing through the 'cave' you enter the 'Core', The (rather large) video screens above the egg should carry on with this corporate type video when suddenly it stops and the room goes black the end should start to shake and you drop.
- The exit lift should have an energy surge effect and the lights should go out, the monster can do its thing, then the ride ends.