Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Tom G

I've wrote up a detailed review. Always interested in your feedback!

http://riderater.co.uk/?p=1602
W@LLI$

Ok guys, I new to this but I have read all of the comments. I personally think that the ride sounds really good, but just because half of the effects were not working doesn't mean that it is not a good ride. When I was reading this I was thinking 'Really they are complaining about nothing'. Not all the effects work on opening day! And if they opened it later you guys would complain AGAIN! I think people are being a bit harsh on AT because they were actually trying. Some reviews I saw said that the ride with FULL EFFECTS is terrifying. We just need to wait for the WHOLE ride to be finish! The included actors makes this ride unique! This ride also can scare people who hate drop towers! I agree with some points but the ride has so much to give to us so let it  improve over the weeks! Just give it time!  :evil: :(
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
[url=http://"http://ridesims.com/users/4791-cawallis123/"]Image[/url]
Tom G

I see no evidence of any technical or mechanical problem relating to the ride system itself?
W@LLI$

Voke wrote: Rumour has it that ABC Rides will be on-park tomorrow, trying to sort a few things out.

As ABC don't actually look after the effects, we can only presume that this is regarding the drop itself. It'll be good to see where this goes.
Now that is a good sign!! LETS HOPE FOR THE BEST!
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
Voke

Tom G wrote: I see no evidence of any technical or mechanical problem relating to the ride system itself?
Neither did I, but I guess we'll just have to see where this leads.

But, I'm looking forward to riding this again in a fortnight, with hopefully everything in operation on the ride. But I somehow doubt this.  :?
Bunbury

W@LLI$ wrote: I think people are being a bit harsh on AT because they were actually trying.
Alton are not a charity.
W@LLI$

Alton are not a charity.
[/quote]

I know that, I meant that they were trying to make the guests happy
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
W@LLI$

Does anyone one know if the effects are working today?
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE
Tom G

I'm sorry but it's pathetic, you test and have things ready. This isn't the first opportunity they've had to run the ride with people you know.

Some people have travelled hours and spent a fortune getting to opening day, I did both of those things with an injury just because I wanted to try the new attractions on opening day (Ice Age was also disappointing).
Voke

W@LLI$ wrote: Does anyone one know if the effects are working today?
Nope, the majority of the effects are not operating today. I honestly doubt we'll ever see all the effects working flawlessly in unison anytime soon or even in the future. Just look at Hex and Duel, but that's anther argument for another time.

The closest thing to it being the full ride will be in a fortnights time, as the Park are still 'apparently' trying to sort it all out and add a few things.
Lady Sol

I went on yesterday and it was dire  :x

I was in the single rider queue, so missed the queue line videos. The best bit was the actors. The first lift had nothing going on other than a small TV screen. Got in the core, seats were wet, which annoyed several people around me (and there didn't seem enough of a water effect to make up for the annoyance). There was a very rushed section in the core with a small non-forceful drop (feels smaller and slower the the first drop on thirteen). Rise up to see the hatched egg and encouraged to rush into the next lift, that shook a bit, but if it split apart at all I missed it entirely. Followed by the 'scariest' moment when an actor jumped out at the lift as the doors opened. Then it's a walk down an unthemed corridor and back into the sun. Total time didn't feel like more than a couple of minutes and most of that was being batched and getting in the seats. No-one around me seemed impressed at the the end and I heard many "is that it?" comments. Good theming, but it can't make up for the fact the experience is unimpressive, slightly confusing, rushed and with very little happening.

Didn't bother re-riding and probably won't bother until I go on with friends at Easter. I wasn't expecting anything other than 4 frog-hoppers in a dark warehouse, even so, I did find it the ride fairly unbelivably terrible for a new 'terror' ride, even a filler ride, at a major theme park. Ice Age 4D on the other hand I found far better than I was expecting and is definitely the better 2012 attraction in my opinion.
MattsDesigns

Thanks for everyone providing information - I read loads of it.

As for effects; Don't theme parks seem to need a specialized effects team? Not talking about Sub Terra here so much but why do effects break so much?

possible problems I anticipate:

1)the fact that props are individually made - although show control, solenoids, servos and pistons are standard components really.
2)reluctance to pay for engineers in the belief that effects don't matter so much?
3)lack of park standards for effects that leads to highly individualized systems where knowledge can only be handed down

Oh and just a question about the lift:
They don't move but you end up underground still? Is that via stairs or something. That's funny.
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
Themeparksandy1981

Do you think they will have many actors on during the off peak dates? I hate to be working outside in them black uniforms in this heat or the summer season.
Voke

MattsDesigns wrote: Oh and just a question about the lift:
They don't move but you end up underground still? Is that via stairs or something. That's funny.
You don't actually move at all in the lifts, they're just simulators. The only time you go underground is during the drop sequence. In the first and second lifts it's just a two way exit, the corridor on the way out is always on the other side of the doors, it's just an illusion to think you've actually moved. :)
JaykeAT

juts seen a post on facebook saying enterprise should be nemesis:sub terra. now how would that work exactly?
mathmos

Tom G wrote: I'm sorry but it's pathetic, you test and have things ready. This isn't the first opportunity they've had to run the ride with people you know.

Some people have travelled hours and spent a fortune getting to opening day, I did both of those things with an injury just because I wanted to try the new attractions on opening day (Ice Age was also disappointing).
It beggars belief that the park should want to open something that is not fully functioning and will undoubtedly be an incomplete experience, if it was a spin around ride or coaster it wouldn't have been allowed to open if it was incomplete so why on earth would they go ahead with opening it unfinished if the attraction relies on the effects heavily, total madness!  :x
Alton have now lost the whole impact of the ride ever being a success as word travels very quickly when something is a Fail and the brown stuff sure will stick to the name in peoples minds :roll:
Did anyone in charge actually sit through the ride to actually see how it flowed or how it came across???
Personally I have the feeling there isn't anything else to the ride like people have been speculating and the package that has been presented is as near to the intended effect as it gets!
Last edited by mathmos on Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrbrightside

In regards to ABC being on park, they may well be responsible for the effects as they are built into the seating - thus are part of the ride system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Voke

mrbrightside wrote: In regards to ABC being on park, they may well be responsible for the effects as they are built into the seating - thus are part of the ride system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This could very well be it, as the Back Pokers were only working in the morning and the Leg Ticklers not at all during the opening day. I doubt either of these will add to the experience that much, but still, it'll be nice to have them all working again. The more effects the merrier.
Blaze

Well I enjoyed it.

It was smaller and shorter than I expected, and I'm not sure if thing weren't working, but for what it is, it's a decent ride. If there are things to come (can't remember noticing leg ticklers or anything like that), then that's great.

Either way, the effort they've gone to for such a small, low investment ride is superb. The videos, themed staff and the interior theming of the main chamber is fantastic.

It's far from perfect, and there are things that could have been much, much better, but it's a decent new attraction that doesn't do Nemesis a disservice at all.

If anything, it's encouraging. Even if this ride isn't that good, the effort is solid and they'll learn from it. I'm undecided if I like it or not, that'll take a few goes, and it's important to remember it took three months and three attempts to get Hex right, but I enjoyed it, and that's the main thing.
Stealth_Lover

Just read on Twitter someone say it's closed?! Posted 25 minutes ago.