Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Squiggles

Which I think sums up the issue with those lift effects. I enjoyed them because they happened next to my head, so were hard to miss, but almost everyone else in the first lift I was in missed them, because they were quite understated.
Edwardo..... move me!
The Crab of Nemesis

I think they must've been a bit understated as I was desperately looking for things to happen in that lift and didn't see it at all and I presume neither did most of the other people in the ride.

Seems a shame for there to be a good effect there that most are missing...
ImageSince 2008
mathmos

lozzyhickers wrote:
mathmos wrote: Sorry I have to disagree that people should respect huge companies that fail to impress.
I am sure Alton Towers are big enough (one would think and hope) to take peoples reviews on board.
People make it sound like reviewing something badly is like insulting the brand, this is far from the truth.
Yes people have different tastes but I think it is wrong to remain quiet and give these places the impression that what they are presenting us with is good, this is exactly why we are being dished up substandard attractions on the crest of grossly over hyped facts, it is just setting itself up for a big fall every time.
The reviews on Facebook today said it all for me,  the majority were general members of the public airing their disappointment at something that has been poorly put together and failed to live up to expectations, at last we may see these places pulling out the stops to bring us truly impressive attractions instead of cheap lacklustre efforts!
You're assuming that I don't? I have complained to towers on a couple of occasions, but only where I believe it's due. Sure,some people don't like the experience, some do. Have you ever been disappointed by a ride before? If so, did you demand the park to shut it down and 'build something better'. I'm guessing you haven't because this is what some people are doing, and it's wrong. People have the right to comaplin, but within reason. There are different types of people who complain, some do it in a fair understandable way, but some, like some on the fb page, take it very personally, and don't take into consideration about those who do enjoy the ride. I don't like Rita, Submission or Enterprise, but I don't go and attack towers for it and tell them to close it.

Your comment highlighted in bold is rather contradictory. You say we have different tastes, yes. But what you say next is that if we don't complain we're giving them the impression what they have given us is good? What about those of us who do think it's good?
Where the highlighting came from in the quote I have no idea, (gremlins in the PC or on the site)
I must admit my first quote attached the wrong quote for some reason so I had to re modify it.
I agree there is always going to be certain individuals that take things to the extreme but these are sometimes the ones that shout the loudest and actually make the park sit up and take notice, you can bet AT aren't happy about people wanting to pull it down and start again, huge embarrassment.
As for complaining yes I have complained a good few times over the years about one thing or another, I see it as healthy feedback if it is just.
I have also praised many things on the other hand.
I have no comment on the minority who may think it is good as I myself do not think tearing it down is a logical (or an option at all) and also everyone is entitled to their opinion all I will say is the majority of reviews so far in only the first day speaks volumes.... :shock:
I think the only way AT can put this right is to improve on what they have swiftly! ;)
Balb0wa

somebody went on with a pov wristcam, because i followed him out, where it get's broadcast i dont know, not much to show though, needs more drops, 1 is very poor. 4 or 5 drops yes, not a bad ride , as it is, 13's drop is better, i was happy with the ride, till it told ,me to get out, we all felt cheated, we thought it was a joke, and wanted more.
Last edited by Balb0wa on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Balb0wa

we live in a different age now, much more critical , things get torn apart in seconds, places can learn from criticism , you embrace it or you die
Johno

The dilemma appears to be that a number of effects were not working, or were faulty. This doesn't bode well for the rest of the rides life!
Balb0wa

Johno wrote: The dilemma appears to be that a number of effects were not working, or were faulty. This doesn't bode well for the rest of the rides life!
i dont think its about effects , its all about lifts and drops not how much wet stuff gets blown in your face.
Vik

Managed 3 goes of Sub Terra today :-

Overall, I think the experience is quite good.  I liked the 'rushed' feeling, the shouting and the attempt to install a bit of panic in people.  All the kind of psychological  stuff.  The theming was fairly good too, however the actual drop was rather pathetic.  Having ridden Extremis at Dungeons, it is clear these sort of drop towers can pack a small punch when they want too, but this just felt to week.  Not only that, after dropping down, nothing seemed to happen.  Just stayed there for a few seconds before raising back up to top level and seeing the egg had hatched.  I really believed I had missed something, but a further two rides confirmed that I hadn't.

The lifts:-  The decent lift was poor, there was no initial feeling of moving down to give the impression it was actually moving downwards, and the vibrations which should of given the impression of movement were already evident when entering the lift.

The accent lift, on which I had heard little snippets of something good happening, was slightly better.  There was an initial minor jolt to the floor that gave the accent feel.  The finale wasn't all that great though, with just some minor juddering and lights flickering before being told to get out as quick as you can.  There are suggestions though that the collapsing ceilings/walls were not always working.

There is definitely an unfinished feel to everything.  Obviously there was a stark choice between opening as it is, is disappointing many people by not opening it to try and get it finished.  On balance, I would say opening it was probably the right thing, though they really should not of been in a situation where an attraction still needs lots of attention on the day it is supposed to open.

Heard a lot of negative comments from guests.  One young chap who was batched with us, when exiting proudly claimed it was the worst ride he had ever been on.

I personally don't think Sub Terra is bad.  I did quite like it, I guess because I like things which play somewhat on the psychological aspect, doesn't pull it off all that well, but passable,  though I do feel it is lacking in many areas, the actual drop (and what is effectively the main part of the ride), being one of them.

One thing that got me wondering was what will happen at some point in the near future with staffing levels.  The normal course of action is to have less and less as time goes on.  In the case of Sub Terra, the staff operating and hosting, are also pretty much doubling us as 'actors' too, who have to get in to a military role, and generally shout and order people about, and 'rush' people along, create a sense of panic and tension.  This is all part of the the experience.  I fear on quite days, when there may be the need for less staff, this build up will be lost, and make the whole experience nothing more than a 2 minute wonder.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

roary01

Im getting really confused now, is Sub-Terra still not finished???
I know the leg ticklers.. wern't working but is there still more to be done??

ive been reading a lot of posts online with people saying work is still on-going then this post caught my eye...
"Wait till next saturday abc are coming back in to sort the alien and all the efffects out! Surprises on the way guys! ;)"

Is this true or not?? will we actually see the alien and more effects in the ride??

Quote is from ATR Facebook page..
DiogoJ42

ABC make ride hardware, not alien theming. Though I'm not sure if any effects built into the seats may involve them, or were they added by Merlin Studios?
lucky13

It doesnt help when all the effects arnt working so hopefully they get them compleate. One thing I will say is when the park is less busy the sequences may be longer. I cant judge the ride as Ive not been on it yet, but Alton have to be carefull with marketing. I do understand why they do this as it gets people in the gates, and people equal money. The thing is I love 13 as its a fantastic family thrill ride, and hopefully when I ride NST (with effects working) I will love the experiance, but I do understand why people get angry when things are over hyped and you are Qing 40 -100mins.
    Another reason people arnt happy with Alton is in 95 until 05 we have seen thrilling and ground breaking rides but between 2006 - 2012 we have seen good investment but not a pure thrilling ride, where as thorpe has seen 3 major coaster in the same bracket.
Last edited by lucky13 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thats how we roll SLIDERS
phillipvass

Even with all the effects working (If there are some to be added?) I really don't think this ride can be rescued...

There's no point in building the ride up to a massive climax only for it to be a 4 foot drop, you would have thought Alton Towers would have learnt from Thirteen. The only positive is that it will take queues away from Nemesis, Ripsaw and Air, which remain the only things worth riding in FV...
Poison Tom 96

roary01 wrote: Im getting really confused now, is Sub-Terra still not finished???
I know the leg ticklers.. wern't working but is there still more to be done??

ive been reading a lot of posts online with people saying work is still on-going then this post caught my eye...
"Wait till next saturday abc are coming back in to sort the alien and all the efffects out! Surprises on the way guys! ;)"

Is this true or not?? will we actually see the alien and more effects in the ride??

Quote is from ATR Facebook page..
Hmm maybe the tower isn't right (not forceful enough) so ABC has been contacted.
Islander

How could you make it more forceful though? You can't 'pull' it down, so it's pretty much stuck as it is.

Think part of the reason it's so forceless is the floor - that's going to create some serious drag as the ride car drops...
Wildboy

I have not yet ridden this thing but I was excited about the prospect of a ride where they took the trouble to dig a huge hole in the ground. After all that engineering and money spent you would have thought that they would have done something to justify the time and money spent.

As far as im concerned for this experience to work they should have had you pushed and pulled down violently several times before getting out at the lower level in the gloom and then taking a terrrifying journey back up in a lift which is then attacked again. punched in sides and an open top etc. That would put the ride on the map and kept the Nemesis story alive and it could have all been done.

Even with leg ticklers added I cant help but ask the question, what were you thinking Alton!? I have been looking for a reason to make the £150 return journey to Alton Towers for the past 6 years and havent been given one yet.
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983
Krazycoaster

I'm looking forward to riding Sub-Terra, as long as the effects are working. For me, any dark ride or ride that implements special effects has to have the effects working or the ride isn't the same.
Voke

Decided against going to Alton today, just to hope that when I next visit -a week on Saturday- that they've ironed out the problems with pretty much everything, and that the Drop Tower isn't as weak as it was on Opening Day. I was expecting 2/3 drops at least. Not just one and then being held there for a few seconds with water being sprayed in your face!
lucky13

To behonest I dont blaime you Voke, the park will be rammed anyways and NST with half the effect working isnt worth QING 40 plus minutes for. I think the best time go onto the park after half term on a week day at least you know the effects will be in use then and the Qs will be small if any
Thats how we roll SLIDERS
Nikkidreamer

Just in the queue again for Sub-Terra, I am hoping some more effects are on today. All I know is that staff are having difficulty in opening the 'shop'!!
Voke

Nikkidreamer wrote: Just in the queue again for Sub-Terra, I am hoping some more effects are on today. All I know is that staff are having difficulty in opening the 'shop'!!
I don't want to dampen any spirits, but I really do doubt that any effects will have been added/in operation today. It's clear that the attraction is half-finished, and it doesn't look like we'll be getting the full experience until a fortnight or so, at the latest!

I also seem to be hearing on the Alton Towers Facebook that ABC Rides will be visiting Sub-Terra and making a few changes to the attraction, but specifically the drop. So we'll have to see.