Nemesis: Sub-Terra Discussion (**contains spoilers**)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Nathan

I'm still chucking at the "shop".

Source: http://live.towersnerd.com/

Sorry, but that is pathetic. :lol:
Nikkidreamer

I went on this morning - thoroughly enjoyed myself. I'm one for letting myself get lost in the idea of the ride (I do this with the scare mazes and can never get bored of them). Looking forward to riding it again when all of the effects are working.

Perhaps the drop could have felt more powerful but it didn't ruin the ride for me. Drop towers are only thrilling when they first drop. The anticipation on the drop is the thrill for me, not the drop itself - on the very tall ones it's just a scenic route back to the ground after the first second or so!!! Well, that's just my opinion anyway (This is why I also enjoy Th13teens drop - two for the price of one in my eyes!).

The ride hosts were exceptional and this is what really made it for me. Excellently themed all the way through, and hard working staff to get the atmosphere correct.

Ticks all the boxes for me :-)
Graeme

Nathan wrote: I'm still chucking at the "shop".

Five minutes after that picture I bet it ran out of stock! Especially with Mr Sanbrooke looking as if he's going to purchase!!
RITA = Flying fish for teens
MattsDesigns

Nathan wrote: I'm still chucking at the "shop".

I like it - atleast it made you laugh. Most shops I don't even think about but I actually stopped and thought about this for a while. May aswell not take up any more space than you need to.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.
onair

Its a shame to see all the negative reviews on the facebook page and twitter. It  just seems Alton can't pull it off lately.
DiogoJ42

I'm not trying to turn this into Alton fans vs Thorpe fans. If nothing else, I don't consider myself a fan of any park. I think of myself as a thrill ride fan regardless of where the ride is.

However, I do find it interesting that "Thorpe fans" happily admit when the park screws up, while "Alton fans" get angry and defensive, or start making excuses whenever anyone is critical of the park.

One minute its "us enthusiasts over-hyped it and only have ourselves to blame." The next its "Well the opinion of the general public doesn't count because they don't know what they are talking about".

If you like the ride, good for you. I respect your opinion and hope you enjoy it. Yes, I'm not there today and I can't fairly judge it until I get on it. But to dismiss any negative view as coming from a "hater", "Merlin basher" or "Thorpe fanboy" is hardly fair. Let people think what they want to think. Let people voice an opinion without fear of being lynched. The whole point of a forum is to exchange views. Not everyone is going to agree with you.

And to those people who are about to reply "I'm not a fanboy, I slated X addition", this isn't aimed at you ;)
The Crab of Nemesis

For such a 'crap' ride, it's interesting the queue is still over an hour - th13teens wasn't on opening day...
ImageSince 2008
WildMouse

It's a new ride. People are going to queue regardless. Most of the 'general public' have no idea what the ride entails (in specific detail anyway). It's only once they get off that the reality will sink in.
Graeme

Doesn't have a great throughput....swarm was less than 5 minutes on opening day....
RITA = Flying fish for teens
formula1fan

Swarm did open on a Thursday, though, whereas Sub-Terra has opened today - a Saturday. Common sense dictates that weekend openings are likely to be busier than weekday openings. :)
Balb0wa

Just back, the ride isn't that great, expected more drops, just one, very poor, everyone was saying is that it? we didnt believe it was over.

The bloke with a beard, dont know if he was a ride op or an actor, he was great, shouting at people.

The queue looked big because the pens werent open till gone 10am

Im not sure if it has more cycles, and it was on a fast setting because of the queue , if it went up and down 4 or 5 times, it wouldnt be so bad.

Last edited by Balb0wa on Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scubahood

Loving the fanboys refusing to accept the ride is a let down but instead slamming the peoples reviews as people with poor judgement. As a theme park fan (not enthusiast I hate that term) I will try it out and i'm sure I will probably enjoy it. I find negative reviews help me enjoy rides more cause I expect them to be so shocking and when they turn out alright its upgraded to a decent because of my low expectation
DomB

I think a major part of the public's disappointment is the fact that going on, they have no idea what to expect, and then the actual ride element comes along, which is a few seconds at most, and that's it. 
CogWork

Probably wont get a chance to ride on it until May, but judging by the pictures and reviews so far, here are my opinions.

The ride entrance looks terrible. The logo is mostly flat except for the tentacles, I hoped the eye would atleast be 3D instead of a flat graphic.

I like the details around some parts of the queue line (the sattelites and the air vents are nice details) but the building is ugly, just a large green box with a few words written on it. I knew that it would look something like that from the plans, but I never imagined it would look this unpleasing. The area just before the lift also looks awful.

I like the look of the lift, especially the lighting, and the egg looks like a great centerpiece, though I fear the area around the egg looks bland.

I cant say anything about the ride itself, but reviews dont seem to be positive...
AshleeK

Could anyone say how the ride is rated 12a? Or is that part of Alton Towers hype machine?
JaykeAT

I havn't been on it yet but i think the people getting angry with people rufusing to say its a let down are stupid, people who like it are allowed to like it,it doesn't mean they are "fanboys" it means they like a ride. I'm here tomorrow and will say my opinion then but  I think if someone likes it they should be allowed to
onair

Sub terraBLE. Sorry Alton towers but for the first time in 32 years you disappointed me :(
Nemesis Sub Terra is a joke! The worst ride(if u can call it a ride) ever!!
The fake hype of alton continues then, just like thirteen, it will be the scariest thing ever, .....no we are just kiddin but hey you paid now.

Just some of the stand  out comments from the towers facebook page. It really does sound like the towers has lost the trust of it visitors. Misleading advertising like th13teen looks like it has come back to haunt them. On the other hand the 4d seems to have been accepted as a good new addition and this was not so heavily advertised.

Both Thorpe and Alton are over a 200 mile journey for me and ok its a mid investment attraction but it should still deliver. Anyone wish they left Dynamo there  ;)
TB2

The Crab of Nemesis wrote: For such a 'crap' ride, it's interesting the queue is still over an hour - th13teens wasn't on opening day...
Thirteen opened on a very wet day and it has a throughput a lot larger then Sub Terra. It did open with a 90 minute queue that dropped like a stone very quickly.
It just baffles me how people constantly slate Thorpe park yet the past years alton towers have not added a decent thrill ride since rita
Because thrill rides aren't the be all and end all of a theme park. They already have three very intense rides in Nemesis, Oblivion and Rita which the majority of Alton's visitors may not have ridden before. The Swarm for instance has been actually slated on forums such as Theme Park Review because it hasn't got the all out intensity of older B&M's. The Swarm in a park that already has very intense rides like Stealth, Saw and Inferno.

I'm really trying to look on the other side of the fence here. Sub Terra doesn't need to be intense to be a good attraction. But it does need to satisfy its riders which so far, it seems to have failed to do.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

GoldWolf

onair wrote: Sub terraBLE. Sorry Alton towers but for the first time in 32 years you disappointed me :(
Nemesis Sub Terra is a joke! The worst ride(if u can call it a ride) ever!!
I'm not a 'fanboy', I would call myself a follower rather than an enthusiast but that is just a shocking thing to say, quite laughable really.  :P

However, I do believe Alton Towers have made a big mistake here. The park have been recieving some bad customer responses with their new installments over the past couple of years, and I personally believe that is down to the marketing... The quality of rides are good, but I do think that ALTON have over-hyped Sub-Terra and Th13teen which means that customers will be expecting the very best. I remember the statement that AT sent to TowersTimes stating that it was a mid-term investment, but the way the media marketing and Alton marketing have been have left most of the GP feeling a bit miffed! Just wind the marketing of new rides down a little.

Just my view on the issue, yet to ride Sub-Terra but I think it will be still a good experience.  :)
garyh

Lol another Thirteen, how funny.  Alton Towers, where the let downs never end. 

However, maybe its us who to be blame here - Alton is moving away from the thrill seekers market to become a family resort, the days of Nemesis, Air and Oblivion are gone.  Make way for new, family friendly rides that mums, dads and their kiddies can go on.  Failteen and now this are two good examples of Altons new marketing direction. 

Its clear that if you want thrills, you go to Thorpe, if you want a zoo and a nice day out, you go to Chessington, if you want to be mislead and ripped off, you go to Alton. 

Oh well - at least they didnt hype it up too much like Failteen, maybe Alton's marketing dept knew the ride was going to be a pile of pants. 

Alton is no longer the leader, it will never be for a long, long time, who ever above said they have lost the public's trust is spot on.  People are starting to see through their 3 star travellodge overpriced hotels, and their old and under inspiring theme park with its "average" rides. 

As for those who are holding out hope for SW7 - the very fact it is a Eurofighter is hilarious, an embarissment even for what what once a park which led the way in world class, unique rides.