Duel - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Bubbaride

I was watching this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwLtwrUL7PI&feature=related and it got me wondering that if duel gets replaced anytime soon, could a family dark ride/ coaster fill its place?
Or is it more likely they will keep the same set of ride system?
Last edited by Bubbaride on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sku11dude123

Possibly, I give duel another 3 years though. I want duel to be replaced by a haunted mansion or a new dark car ride
Dom

just take duel, rip out the guns and the flashing lightbulbs u have to shoot and replace it with a 4d experince
DannyNewbro

Ok the queue, the house and the whole themeing of the entrance is fantastic, but the actual ride is disappointing. It's like a ghost train in a fair ground and not only that but with guns. It feels very tacky, it's not magical and doesn't give you the wow like the Haunted Mansion. They should make it feel as if your moving through a house with creepy corridors and your not heading for the fire exit. Right rant over.  Sorry I just feel as if this ride has so much reputation but they can't be bothered upgrading it
hex4ever

The problem with replacing the ride system is the whole building would also have to leave, the front should be fine, but the warehouse round back will have to go, the fire exits, switch tracks and maintenance bay were put in place in relation to the track, and to do all this would essentially be like starting again but it could cost even more because the front would have to line up and fit the new back perfectly. Personally I would like to keep as much of the wardly stuff in as possible, but that's an enthusiasts point of view, if I were the normal chav which is Alton's primary audience, I would want a bad-ass ride innit, which translated means ether a mass inversion rollercoaster or a scaremaze.

Th13teen wasn't over hyped, just over anticipated
aru

So the world is split into 'normal chavs' and enthusiasts? I think the Scooby Doo coaster is a good example of what could be done with Duel once it is ready to go. There is lots of land at the back of the ride which could be utilised. It would be a massive shame to see the ride go though  :(
CoasterCrazyChris

DannyNewbro wrote: Ok the queue, the house and the whole themeing of the entrance is fantastic, but the actual ride is disappointing. It's like a ghost train in a fair ground and not only that but with guns. It feels very tacky, it's not magical and doesn't give you the wow like the Haunted Mansion. They should make it feel as if your moving through a house with creepy corridors and your not heading for the fire exit. Right rant over.  Sorry I just feel as if this ride has so much reputation but they can't be bothered upgrading it
These are exactly my thoughts.

The problem is that they will never spend the millions required to refurbish the inside of the ride and just leave the facade and queue as it is because then the public will just register it as the same ride that was there before.
Finally...

I think they should definitely invest in changing the layout of the ride slightly. Rip out the guns and turn the silly lights off.

Then also utilise some of the area they have to build onto the haunted house a little, so they have a sort of mini-maze (live actors at weekends, halloween season) so you have a sort of adventure walking around a haunted house themed walkthrough attraction before getting to the station.

I would love to see it replaced by another dark ride soon though.
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

The Scooby Doo ride's size would mean that even Duel would be needed to be extended, which there is room for without tree removal. I think Duel still has another good 10 years in it before it gets worse for wear, as the ride gets constant attention each year. Until another park emulates the success of Duel, I don't think Alton will be changing Duel in the near future.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

The Haunted House when it was originally  built lasted 10 years before it was rethemed to Duel. So now maybe Duel's 10 years is up. The 4D Experience is a brilliant idea but I have to disagree with the queue line. though usually sort has no theming and I wouldn't mind if Towers make it more spooky.

I do enjoy Duel, it's a unique ride. It's good to have a laser/shooting game at a theme park that isn't a game stall! :D
Last edited by Benjy Alton Towers Kid on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theme Parks are my way of life.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :)
Keep smiling!!! :)
AstroDan

Has anyone else been on Duel recently? It's the best it has been at any stage since the retheme.

Improvements seem to be taking place every week, little touches here and there.

I have noticed new audio for several effects, including some original Haunted House audio. This is noticeable on The Undertaker, Pillar Demon amongst others. Speaking of The Pillar Demon, the new red strobing is currently timed to perfection.

The heaters in the furnace are also working for the first time in two or three years.

Many coloured gels have been tweaked to enhance the experience.

The fan has returned in Skeleton Corridor, too.

It really is excellent to see such care being taken. Long may it continue!

:)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
mrbrightside

I wholeheartedly agree with you Dan, however last week I felt like it had slipped from where it was at opening week this season...

I noticed the furnace which was fantastic, and I agree that the effects are working brilliantly, but some things have dropped a bit. The fans were no longer blowing warm air, the spacing on the cars was off again and the blasters were turning off way before the exit station.

Despite this, the attraction is still fantastic right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Krazycoaster

Duel is great this season! All the effects were working perfectly when I visited on Tuesday 5th. The only thing I would say needs improving is that the blasters need to stay on for longer. They switch off just before the photo point:(
Coaster_Dude

When I went last week the blasters worked all the way right up until the end. I believe the blasters are programmed to run for a set amount of time, so if you have to slow down more than usual because of spacing issues or whatever, the time set will run out before the end of the ride.
AstroDan

I couldn't care less about the wretched blasters.

I never use them, the ride is far more enjoyable without them.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk
mrbrightside

For you, maybe. However, many people love the shooting aspect of the ride and as it is an essential part of the ride these days, they should work right until the end...

ImageImage
AstroDan

mrbrightside wrote: For you, maybe. However, many people love the shooting aspect of the ride and as it is an essential part of the ride these days, they should work right until the end...

I agree that most people "love" the shooting aspect. But frankly that's only because they are there. I reckon you'd get just as many people going on Duel if the ride had never had the blasters added.

I recall the reasons mooted for the retheme was to make it more re-rideable. I guess it sort of achieves this, but come on - the ride has just as short queues now as it ever did as the Haunted House AND it has less capacity than the old ride, too!

Duel worked for about 1 or 2 years at getting higher queues, but really, 9 years on, I would pretty much say that the addition of lasers and guns failed entirely.

:)
roary01

I think with duel they should get John Wardley back in and renovate it back to the original themed areas, part that have been taken out over time put back in, and return it back to the state of the original haunted house, and i recall some effects that were due to appear in the HH failed to make it due to reliability, maybe so many years on these can be fitted and work better with newer technology available it can be built exactly how John Wardley planned it...
AstroDan

They could remove the lasers and targets, refurbish all original effects, adding some new ones to some areas - making the whole experience more modern.

The problem is, I can't see how they could make it marketable for the general public...
Jordan

I love the changes/fixes to Duel this season. Great to see the pillar demon has been restored.

It would be fantastic to see these small improvements and changes continue. :)