Most disappointing day-out at Alton

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
JaykeAT

When was your worst day at alton? It could have rained a lot, or rides broken down, or a powercut etc etc...

For me, it was when I heard a massive rumble of thunder on Oblivion. After our carrige the ride was closed for an hour or so!
Last edited by JaykeAT on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poison Tom 96

I have never had a disappointing day!

Even Saturday
Last edited by Poison Tom 96 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voke

I've never had a bad day at Alton due to there being just so much to do on the Park. So it doesn't really matter if a few of the rides are down, there's still plenty more and the chances are that they'll be back in operation after an hour or so.

If something does go wrong on the Parks front, they usually offer some form of compensation. The four free Fastracks on Saturday for example. Even though it wasn't their fault, they still offered something back due to the lack of coasters! :)
Bear

Saturday of the Scarefest meet. Got on 3 rides by 2pm, when I got there at 11 there was a 70min wait for Oblivion single rider!! Luckily, the park cleared out for night time when I got TONS of rides in.
Magrathea

I can honestly not recall one disappointing visit to Alton Towers. I personally tend to find the days in which I ride less are the most enjoyable! (See Saturday of Fireworks: Carousel and Rapids x1, one of the best days evaar.)

:)
Don't_Look_Down

One day back in June last year. It was the hottest day of the year and the park was absolutely heaving. I managed three rides all in all.

Gave up and came home in the end.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
Danielle

July 2008. After an 8 hour bus journey, it was 70+ mins queues for most things. Since the person I was with had never been before, we queued and queued and queued. The weather was unbelievable so we were burnt within an hour. Got on Oblivion and Nemesis, then after queueing for Air for 90 mins we were at the loading gates when it got closed and we were told to come back later. We didn't, and instead spent the rest of the day (before the 8 hour journey back) on Duel!
Rudge69

Like a  few people have said already, i have never had a disappointing day at alton towers! Even though the last time i went it was raining all day, but i still enjoyed it. :D
Pennywise

I think the term 'disappointing day' could be interpreted in two slightly different manners, which will ultimately result in completely unique responses. The first being comparing your day at Alton Towers to your 'average' day. By this stretch, Alton Towers being my favourite place on Earth, I (like many others) have never had a day there which could be considered disappointing, it has never failed to leave a smile upon my face. Undoubtedly though, were I to compare certain days to others, they would be inferior... and the same goes in that my trips occasionally fall short of expectations, for whatever reason.

For me, I have two trips which fell flat of my ridiculously high expectations... the fact that there have only been two, in spite of regular trips to Alton, says a lot about what I think of the park, as does the fact that these trips remained more than satisfactory days out. Don't get me wrong on that point! Both fell last year and, in fairness, Alton Towers themselves (in spite of said year being less spectacular than desire suggested) can't be held entirely to account for either of them.

The first fell during the infamous 'school trip season', y'know, that ridiculously busy time of year when arrogant, loud-mouth teenagers descend upon the park like a swarm of angered wasps taking revenge upon the idiot who made the rash decision to smash up their 'home' with a baseball bat, whilst they were having their afternoon tea. On the occasion, more than anything, it was the lack of good company that let the visit down. I enjoy visiting with family, with TTF, even wandering the park alone... but, what with it being a school trip, it was judged necessary that I take upon me the burden of wandering the park with a fellow loner from my school. Eh, awkwardness.

The second, I must agree with Bear, was the Saturday of TTF Scarefest. I do love Towers Times, and I do love Alton Towers. But a combination of the mazes (bar Boiler House <3) failing to live up to expectations and the almost laughable amount of faff did cause slight frustration. Then again, I suppose if I had genuinely be annoyed by this, I would have abandoned TTF for the sake of getting on a few more rides... so I suppose I'm just petty in making that complaint, and I developed a number of firm friendships over the course of that day, making me question as to whether I would even choose to change it!

In short, Alton Towers is awesome, but it sets a high enough bar for itself that some days will disappoint. Never have I had a bad day on-park, however.
Last edited by Pennywise on Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
formula1fan

I've never had a bad or disappointing day at Towers, but that could be because I've only been four times. :P Each time I've gone has been better than the previous time, and that's partly why I love the place so much.
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

The Day I first rode Charlie.

With a 2.5 hour queue.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
Dingerbell

But that doesn't matter, because it's such a great, entertaining ride...

Oh wait... no
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

^ It was even worse for me being a eager 8 year old. I don't remember much else about that day, all I remember is being very disapointed on Charlie. And wondering that it was longer than Toyland Tours.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
sku11dude123

My disappointing moment at alton was laying my eyes on Charlie. : D
AstroDan

I don't like this thread, it's kind of breathing the negative vibes of a bad visit. I can't actually recall a "beyond the pale" day at the park. Perhaps a by accident visit in 2002 during the school visit days in July. It was hell. The queues were a nightmare and we didn't ride much at all.

Air I recall was 150 minutes.

:P
SpinballEdders

A disappointing day out at Alton is like eating a dreadful Bacon Sandwich for me. I would never have a bad day at a theme park, even the most disappointing for me would be a excellent day out.

:)
formula1fan

AstwoDan wrote: I don't like this thread, it's kind of breathing the negative vibes of a bad visit. I can't actually recall a "beyond the pale" day at the park. Perhaps a by accident visit in 2002 during the school visit days in July. It was hell. The queues were a nightmare and we didn't ride much at all.

Air I recall was 150 minutes.

:P
In fairness, Dan, Air did only open that year, and was suffering from technical gremlins for a while.
Blaze

Scarefest 2010.

Can't remember what day I went, but it was in half term.

It was freezing and all I had was a jacket. It was rammed so we hardly got on any rides. Waited 45 minutes for RMT at the start of the day, went on a broken Hex twice simply because it was warm, over an hour for Thirteen, stuck behind the world's largest family in the SINGLE rider line for Oblivion, first time I've been without going on Air or Nemesis. Went on a coach and they screwed us over with timings.

All in all a dreadfull day, which is a shame because it seemed to be the best Scarefest of them all so far.
BSwiss

Me and three friends decided to go the day after a house party without going to bed. Seemed like a great idea at the time, the sun beating down on our car. We get there, hangovers kick in. Grouchy and feeling sorry for ourselves, we nap on the lawns. We're dumb.
Maaarrrvelous

Last year when we me and a couple of my mates went to the Scarefest I didn't enjoy one abit. It was the rides or anything to do with the actual park, it was to do with the people, we went when all the gypy's decided to invade AT :P I reckon it was a good 80/20 spilt with the majority being gypsy's and they just made AT look horrible. They were so rude and alot of them were the scum of the earth. No manners, pushing in queues, really rude to staff and you could see in every shop, they were looking to nick something, even the little kids. And to make things worse, we went on Terror of the Towers but one of the actors decided to hit my mate on the top of his head, threatening him and swore at him  :shock: I thought at first it was a joke, but surely the actors can't hit you  :? so obviously we had to complain about it, left my mate with a great lump on his head. I think in the end he got some vouchers to go next year and I think they caught the actor on CCTV, he got sacked.