The "Ultimate" Fireworks 2012

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
NickT04

Well I'm not quite sure how many years they can claim to be the "Ultimate" ones but they are returning for 2012 as demonstrated by posters on the park!

2 - 4 November 2012 are your dates, buy tickets now for £20.40!
BigAl

Last years fireworks were spoiled when I went (can't remember which day it was now) because the smoke from the early fireworks wasn't clearing so this blocked the view for the rest of the display. From what I did see, it was good though. 2010's display definitely deserved the "Ultimate" title as they were simply amazing! I'll deffinitley be returning this year; hopefully on a better day, too! :P
Stelios7
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Extend the show by 10 minutes and add some more Alton songs in to make it more personal. Nemmy, Blivvy, Air and TH13TEEN themed Fireworks for 2012.

I think it's fine apart from the mass amount of pop music! :P
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
AWTSW90

To use the 'Ultimate' title, they really should surpass previous events!
Seeing as there's no way of knowing what the show will actually involve this year, I'll make a bit of a wishlist :P
First of all, I'd like the soundtrack, as previously mentioned, to use music featured around the park.
Perhaps mixed into a medley, 20 seconds or so of each song, taking you on a musical tour of the park.
To give the show a bit more of a story and feeling, I think the park should invest in large projectors to be pointed at the towers. 2 examples I can think of these being used in other park are: Disney, for the new 'The Magic, The Memories and You' show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JUgeE1skTE

And USF used the technique during last years Halloween Horror Nights in the 'Acid Assault' scarezone to give the impression the buildings were crumbling down around you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdrsPelXVJY

Having seen both in person last year, I found it to be very effective and extremely enjoyable to watch, however at points, Disney's show did feel as though it was 'dragging on' which I think coupling it with fireworks in order to tell a story would solve.

Looking further into the future, a water and light show on the lake in front of the towers would be fantastic all year round, and a different show could be used on firework nights to compliment the event creating a very immersive and modern firework experience unlike anything currently seen in this country! There are a few great example of these shows, but the end of the 'Fantasmic' show at Disney's Hollywood Studio's springs to mind when coupling a water show with fireworks. Absaloutely stunning!
AstroDan

The only change I would like is more Alton focussed sections, using the theme parks heritage, rides and attractions more. Add that to the pop music and jobs a goodun.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Pennywise

Stelios7 wrote: Extend the show by 10 minutes and add some more Alton songs in to make it more personal. Nemmy, Blivvy, Air and TH13TEEN themed Fireworks for 2012.
Extend the show!? EXTEND IT? Are you aware of how long the display has lasted over the last two years? It's already at the point where, for me, the display (despite being splendid) is beginning to evoke slight boredom by the time that it reaches it's somewhat spectacular conclusion. Extending it even further would be a mistake, in my opinion, it's about quality not quantity!

That being said, I would agree that more Alton Towers focussed sections should be put in place as a replacement for some (not necessarily all) of the 'generic pop' segments. For me the 2010 display got this spot on; Th13teen theme, pop music, In the Hall of the Mountain King. If we see something similar to that this year, but with the opening themed to Sub Terra (or a big advertisement for SW7, I don't care so long as the fireworks are good!) then I'll be very happy. 
Last edited by Pennywise on Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDan

It could be extended if it was mixed up with other effects.

jackgcse

I always felt they should have done another show after the main display about an hour later, that show being 'Light up the towers' display, simple and not that spectacular however that would keep a lot of people in the park for a little while longer.
PeteB

They can't possibly be considering running a 3rd year with this format?  Even the old shows only used to run in the same format for 2 years before changing.

This is gonna be the first year in a long time that I'm going to avoid the fireworks and go elsewhere.  I'm simply not prepared to travel 380+ miles for whats essentially a council display with a few flashy lights. 2011 was that diabological it was a 20 minute assault on my eyes and ears.

When they remember how to entertain guests again I'll be back!
Pennywise

PeteB wrote: This is gonna be the first year in a long time that I'm going to avoid the fireworks and go elsewhere.  I'm simply not prepared to travel 380+ miles for whats essentially a council display with a few flashy lights. 2011 was that diabological it was a 20 minute assault on my eyes and ears.

When they remember how to entertain guests again I'll be back!
Well I can honestly say that this is the first genuinely negative feedback I've heard with regards to the Alton Towers 2011 display. Granted, Disney it was not, in that it lacked a storyline and was generic to an extent... but the display itself was the most spectacular that I have seen (including Orlando and 2012 London new year display), and it left a lasting impression upon me, and the majority of TTF, I'd dare suggest. The number of times the word "magic" rolled off the tongues of fellow members in the aftermath of the Sunday display meant that I lost count. 

I can understand that you might have disliked the show on a personal level, it wasn't to everybody's tastes in terms of music nor style, but to describe it as 'diabolical' and suggest that the park need to 'remember how to entertain guests' is a ridiculous exaggeration and whining for the sake of it, in my opinion. They had a format last year and the year before and it worked; drawing the crowds and entertaining 99% of them... there's no need for change.
PeteB

It's Jubilee thats why, not Alton Towers.  If you look at some of the stuff they've done their fireworks are always pretty good, but most of them are the same though.

Take a look at some of the competition shows like Southport, Catton Hall etc and you'll see that apart from the lights Altons show is pretty much the same as what 99% of other big displays are like, by mulitiple companies. 

Theres nothing unique about it any more, and all I'm saying is I don't need to go to the expense and hassle to watch a bog standard show at Alton Towers when I can stay local.

...and no, I dont think Alton know how to entertain anymore.  Entertainment in general went out the window years ago and I'm getting sick of the watered down crap the feed us. I'm not prepared to pay for it when there's better elsewhere.
Last edited by PeteB on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoasterCrazyChris

Just having a good fireworks display is not enough.

This is Alton Towers.

Unless it is as good, or better than those of the 90's then there is every reason to be negative.

:)
Islander

Eh, can't quite believe I'm going to say this, but...

I agree with PeteB. To an extent only.

I think he's being over the top, but whilst it's undeniable that Towers' fireworks are very, very good - if not spectacular - they're not exactly unique. I'd personally rate Lego's *yes, fanboy, I know...) above Towers, simply because they always have such a strong story behind them, with a theme which carries on into the show itself.

I love, adore Towers' fireworks, but they're not unique, and (based on two displays) they're not my favourite.
Poison Tom 96

I personally think that the fireworks this year will be like 2010 and feature the new rides and then have generic music afterwards.

The setup in 2010 was better than 2011
Ripsaw Raver

Just imagine the use of them projectors on the towers,

With say vines rising up the towers and wraiths projected in the windows with-dont go alone projected on the building with 13 music and a train being shown behind the glass of the main window then creaking and it falls out of view.

Then the windows go red and wraiths disappear we hear "sit back its fright time". Two big nemmie eyes appear in the main window - the towers strobe and the vines turn into nemmie tentacles and begin smashing up the building, phalanx gun fire is then shown as well as shots from the 94 advert and the beast is subdued - eyes disappear and the wrecked towers is shown.

Oblivion arrows are then shown on the smaller windows and the lord of darkness appears in the main window laughing and looking over to the right-ie x-sector-then looks at the crowd, says don't look down, the towers go all fuzzy like on a broken telly, then we see a pov shot of the train dropping into the hole, as soon as we hit blackness - SW7 Flashes on the main window and the plans flicker all over the building the train then flies out the other side and the building reemerges, another strobe and tree smashes through the main window and then chains fly from the ground and the gypsy is seen in a window, and disappears, sparks then run up the chains and the towers, and the building is restored.

Only briefly though as the entire towers becomes covered in clouds and the windows glow blue "prepare for air" is shown on the building NOW FLY and multiple pov shots of air are shown as the clouds become a storm you crash down in dark forest, vines once again creeping up the castle "YOU MUST ESCAPE" is heard the castle goes from red to green and the train is seen launching across the towers from right to left, the towers then begin to freeze up and the crazy nut thing from Ice age smashes though the window with a nut, finally the towers go dark and the phalanx logo is shown in the main window, a loud rumbling is heard and the roars of the beast, the towers strobe red, tentacles rip out of the ground up and over the towers and then rip the whole structure underground.

A black empty space with hints of CCL are shown as if the towers have gone, In the hall of the mountain kings booms our and shots of all main attractions past and pressent flash over the towers, the logo emerges in the centre-explodes and the towers re-appear in sparkly form then fully return.

Just an idea
Last edited by Ripsaw Raver on Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
AstroDan

As I have said, the park need to make them more Alton Towers-y. Like they always were. They remain very good but the music is all generic. There is a place for some of that but not the whole thing.

PeteB

Nice to know some people can see where I'm coming from with this.  I know my opinions can seem a little harsh at times but I'm just speaking my mind, in a blunt mannor.

I think Islander is right though, the Legoland shows have been consistently well themed and seem to be getting better each year? Granted their shows aren't like towers 90's/00's but they do well with their budget.
Rob L

The fireworks last year were outstanding, however I do agree that making them more unique would be better with some sort of relation to the theme park. Having different sections themed as it were to different rides/areas using theme music and suitable fireworks. I think some "generic" music is fine, and possibly needed also. And ending on ITHOTMK is vital as that is Alton Towers.

I did suggest about having sections of the fireworks relating to rides on park etc to senior management after the 2010 fireworks when they wanted ideas for 2011, clearly they didn't agree! :P

AstroDan

Rob wrote: The fireworks last year were outstanding, however I do agree that making them more unique would be better with some sort of relation to the theme park. Having different sections themed as it were to different rides/areas using theme music and suitable fireworks. I think some "generic" music is fine, and possibly needed also. And ending on ITHOTMK is vital as that is Alton Towers.

I did suggest about having sections of the fireworks relating to rides on park etc to senior management after the 2010 fireworks when they wanted ideas for 2011, clearly they didn't agree! :P

I agree, and hope that Alton don't keep using the same formula. I liked the Th13teen section in 2011, for example. It felt much more "custom" and "special". Also,was it just me or was the way ITHOTMK cut into the ending done quite badly in 2011? It just seemed to cut in half way through?

Rob L

AstwoDan wrote:
Rob wrote: The fireworks last year were outstanding, however I do agree that making them more unique would be better with some sort of relation to the theme park. Having different sections themed as it were to different rides/areas using theme music and suitable fireworks. I think some "generic" music is fine, and possibly needed also. And ending on ITHOTMK is vital as that is Alton Towers.

I agree, and hope that Alton don't keep using the same formula. I liked the Th13teen section in 2011, for example. It felt much more "custom" and "special". Also,was it just me or was the way ITHOTMK cut into the ending done quite badly in 2011? It just seemed to cut in half way through?

Yeah, the Thirteen section in 2010 was brilliant, and some development of this with other themes would be great. It wouldn't surprise me if they did something hinting at SW7 in this year's fireworks.

ITHOTMK was badly edited in 2011 yes, which was a shame, but I'd rather that than them not use it at all. I don't think they wanted the long build up to the main section of the music in 2011 like they did in 2010, so just cut in where it really gets going.