2012 Map & Marketing

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Chris W

It isn't usually released until later in the week.
Adam

I like it! Kinda wonder why no-one has ever thought to do that before!

Also I assume this is the image that will be used on the front page of the map... if so, is this the first time they have not used the current logo on the front page?

Good to see the new Marketing Director is making his stamp on the resort! :)
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
AstroDan

I believe the dates are as follows:

3rd March: Commencement of promotion in The Sun
7th March: Full pull out (incl. map)

:)
Longy

The pull out is indeed going to be in the Wednesday edition of the Sun, which will contain the map.

All the details of the Sun offer will be in the Wednesday edition also.
BigAl

I like how they've done N:ST, Ice Age and Twirling Toadstool. Other than that... meh.
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

Towers need to get there Park map out soon. With Thorpe Park's released weekes ago, I'm DYIN' 2 see it!

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :p
Theme Parks are my way of life.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :)
Keep smiling!!! :)
JaykeAT

Benjy Alton Towers Kid wrote: Towers need to get there Park map out soon. With Thorpe Park's released weekes ago, I'm DYIN' 2 see it!

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :p

It's being released on wednesday in the sun along with the free tickets booking form.

p.s r u new here,I havn't seen you b4,if so welcome to the forum
Benjy Alton Towers Kid

Thanks mate. I joined today. I now have a strange urge to buy the Sun on Wednesday.  :D
Theme Parks are my way of life.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :)
Keep smiling!!! :)
JaykeAT

Benjy Alton Towers Kid wrote: Thanks mate. I joined today. I now have a strange urge to buy the Sun on Wednesday.  :D
my god i wonder why...
James

Better quality version of the 2012 promotional image.

I have also moved this topic to Alton Towers General, as we're now nearing the start of the 2012 season and more promotional images are due to be released over the coming weeks. 
Last edited by James on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mattia

Was given this the other day and all I could say was "Oh My God".

Whoever thought making the towers look like an old Windows '98 PC Game front cover, was seriously disturbed.
Like the Ice Age bit - only because of scrat. :)

They're trying to make Alton look too "escapey" and busy now. Since when did it have tropical palm trees and islands? Think someone was on the trusty MDMA when designing this...
Poison Tom 96

Mattia wrote: Was given this the other day and all I could say was "Oh My God".

Whoever thought making the towers look like an old Windows '98 PC Game front cover, was seriously disturbed.
Like the Ice Age bit - only because of scrat. :)

They're trying to make Alton look too "escapey" and busy now. Since when did it have tropical palm trees and islands? Think someone was on the trusty MDMA when designing this...
Isn't AT meant to be escapey? the Palms must be for escaping and for Splaaash
Mattia

It detracts from the original points and motif. Guests of the general public aren't really going to make the assumption of the spa or splash from looking at the island and palm tree. If the island had an image from the spa or water park on it, then maybe.

The image is too reliant of this years offerings and then the main "flagship" images we have seen since 2008/9. It's time for new renderings and other rides/availabilities from the resort to make a début.
djtruefitt

I dont really like that at all, I wonder if that will be the front of the park map this year?

The text does seem to big and bold and pretty ugly, I prefer the more fun fonts they have been using during the past few years. I also dont like the cut and paste feel that it all has, Alton have been using the same promotional images for years now, like the horrible Nemesis one or the Oblivion one with the woman with big hair. This looks like someone has just opened up paint and cut and past the various ride images together. For me there is just way too much going on.
CoasterCrazyChris

I've never been a fan of these cheap promotional images they've been using over the last 4 years.

What they need to do is take high quality images of the park's attractions being enjoyed by REAL people with REAL emotions and expressions.

It always feels like they're promoting the park to a bunch of 10 year olds.

The only exception being the All Time Greats poster. Now that was quality.

:)
aru

Someone got let loose with the stock promo images!! I liked the simplicity of the bubbles era:
http://towersnerd.com/gallery/?image=744  :)

The 2012 cover is doing too much and trying too hard.
AWTSW90

I count 29 people on park in that image, and three in the waterpark.
That'll be a 4pm ride close.
James

Sonic Spinball Photographic Visual

PeteB

CoasterCrazyChris wrote: I've never been a fan of these cheap promotional images they've been using over the last 4 years.
I quite agree, but to be honest I think the designers of these images have got it hard.  How do you design something around "being an escape" and making it look all exciting?

Now if they just went back to that "where the magic never ends" stuff, you'd get quality promotional images. Its much easier to design for.

And that brings me to another point, no doubt these images have to appeal to a wide range of people but mainly families with kids and teens.  Kids don't understand what an "escape" is.  What do kids need to escape from?  They do understand magic though!  :)
Adam

James wrote: Sonic Spinball Photographic Visual
Wait.. is that really an official release?

It looks quite blurry to me..  :?
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."