Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Ryan.B

Sadly a hyper coaster would never come due to height restrictions, although we can dream! A floorless coaster could be on the cards, I think it could be likely we may get one as it would be a uk first!
Sentri558

A hyper in a pit similar to the Nemesis/Smiler/Oblivion pit? :3
SmilerLover

Quite possibly. Although it might still not meet hight regulations
Credit to NemesisRider for this awsome signature! :moj
Altontowersbarlow

I think the most realistic and beneficial coaster option for SW8 would be an Intamin Megalite on the Air car park. Megalite coasters deliver thrilling airtime/sensations without the need for inversions, which I believe would differentiate SW8 from the other big six at Alton Towers. Height would also not be an issue as the Megalite Coaster has an approximate drop of 30 m which fits well into the parks height limit, and if a pit was dug the ride could have a decent first drop height. The ride also has the possibility to interact with terrain which would suit Forbidden Valley perfectly. The final aspect in which I think solidifies a Megalite as the best coaster option for SW8, is the 85km/h approximate train speed which is reasonably fast without the need for a launch. The downside of this coaster would be its low capacity (850 people per hour) which mimics the approximate capacity of Sonic Spinball. If Alton Towers wanted to go for the usual "Worlds First" or "Record beating" ride marketing strategy then they could possibly aim for the "Worlds Longest Megalite Coaster" :roll:
Aidan Lowe

Altontowersbarlow wrote:If Alton Towers wanted to go for the usual "Worlds First" or "Record beating" ride marketing strategy then they could possibly aim for the "Worlds Longest Megalite Coaster" :roll:
I think if this were the case and they were to get a Mega-Lite coaster they would have to divert away from the world first baloney, if they went for a world beating track length on a mega-lite then wouldn't that make the already bad throughput even worse due to ride length?
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Ryan.B

I suppose a cross valley hyper could be done, with a few airtime hills, and low lying elements, like fury 325, the lift hill would only have to be 40-65 ft lift, maybe even a launched hyper coaster- to get the worlds first merlin love.
Henry

Could a B&M hyper work as a launch? It sounds like it wouldn't but if it launched out of Forbidden Valley and then across to Dark Forest in a hyper coaster way with airtime hills it might I guess, still extremely unlikely anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!
LiamJDouse

Based on the above poll, a lot of people were suggesting The Flume site for a possible location, has anyone changed their mind after the knowledge that blade will be going was revealed? Or do those that voted Flume still think that?
daveclarkedaveclarke

Personally I would love a wingrider coaster, they are a great coaster type. Too similar to air though? I think so.

So how about possibly a multi launch through the valley, definitely could hung the terrain a lot like cheetah run does.
Altontowersbarlow

LiamJDouse wrote:Based on the above poll, a lot of people were suggesting The Flume site for a possible location, has anyone changed their mind after the knowledge that blade will be going was revealed? Or do those that voted Flume still think that?
There are no signs of the flumes removal or any significant clearing around the flume site. This suggests a development will not be arriving in replacement of the flume anytime in the near future. Despite this, a large area of trees has been cleared close to Forbidden Valley and the Blade is earmarked for imminent removal. This shows that Alton Towers are clearing space for an attraction which is likely to be SW8 and therefore I believe that Forbidden Valley is a likely candidate for the site of SW8.
RIDECRAZY

Altontowersbarlow wrote:
LiamJDouse wrote:Based on the above poll, a lot of people were suggesting The Flume site for a possible location, has anyone changed their mind after the knowledge that blade will be going was revealed? Or do those that voted Flume still think that?
There are no signs of the flumes removal or any significant clearing around the flume site. This suggests a development will not be arriving in replacement of the flume anytime in the near future. Despite this, a large area of trees has been cleared close to Forbidden Valley and the Blade is earmarked for imminent removal. This shows that Alton Towers are clearing space for an attraction which is likely to be SW8 and therefore I believe that Forbidden Valley is a likely candidate for the site of SW8.
Tree clearing in Forbidden Valley has been confirmed to have no link to the development of any new attraction and is simply to stop the spread of a fungus which is killing tree's.
Altontowersbarlow

RIDECRAZY wrote:
Altontowersbarlow wrote:
Tree clearing in Forbidden Valley has been confirmed to have no link to the development of any new attraction and is simply to stop the spread of a fungus which is killing tree's.
Ok I was unaware of this however I still believe that SW8 will be appearing in Forbidden Valley as oppose to other locations on park.
Ryan.B

RIDECRAZY wrote:
Altontowersbarlow wrote:
There are markings in forbidden valley, most likely for SW8, across from the blade and the edges well, and tree clearing by the markings as well as by sub terra, and in the dark forest, as well as a screening application, which means it is likely to be something big, possibly slightly exceeding tree level as The Smiler didnt require a screening application because the station and nothing else needed planning, plus two rides in that area, screening is normally an year before the construction, thorpe ride is 2016, construction of a coaster takes around one year, two rides in forbidden valley are earmarked for removal near the markers for early development, I think all signs point towards a wooden coaster with almost 200 ft drops if not more in the valley, and slightly exceeding tree level so tree removal could be for both the infections AND development
Alex

Not quite sure how markings point to a wooden coaster with 200ft drops, there are plenty of other rides that could go in that space.
Aidan Lowe

Obviously there is a lot of discussion regarding the fungus and tree removal but needless to say imo there is a large clearing ideal for a station close to where the seating area is near to Th13teen's main queue/fast track entrance. And with markings and more removal in FV and the valley it does seem likely this will be developed.

You can see it here in Shawns opening day vlog: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Tom G

A cross-valley ride would seem to be in order, with an entrance relocation also looming.
MakoMania

How long will it be till we can see what this "screening opinion" concerns?
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Danny

Having visited Towers over the past couple of days, and having a good look around I've come to a conclusion.

There is tree removal in EVERY area of the park. Now unless we are getting a hyper that leaves FV, rides across the Valley and around DF and CCL, followed by a loop around X Sector before heading over and around the Flume and the returning, tree removal is nothing to go by just yet.

One of these areas will inevitably be being cleared for SW8 or equivelant, but it's too early to determine where, there are many possibilities, just don't jump to conclusions yet. :)
NemesisRider

To be honest, the only place the tree removal could be for anything that fits would be around Dark Forest where they could perhaps get a thrilling flat in the area which is not SW8 though. However, as the tree removal does seem substantial and I believe the back entrance was closed at Smilefest (I might be wrong though, don't quote me on that).
nemyjoe

i was looking round instagram yesterday and came across a screenshot of an email someone had got from john wardley he said "thank you for your kind email, and i'm glad you have enjoyed reading my book. preparations are well underway at Alton Towers for SW8, and im sure you'll enjoy the result. with very best regards, John". the profile with the picture on is called inside_inversion. :)