Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Tom170499

All I’ve seen is the two for one offer on Kellogg’s cereal. It just shows Wicker Man’s póster on the back of the box in a small circle. Other than that, nothing outside of social media. 
Bert

I've seen Wicker Man advertisements pop-up a few times now, I saw once when I went to Tussuads Blackpool and when I went to Asda as they are doing a deal with Alton Towers. Oh and the ITV news report.

I wouldn't worry about the advertising yet, The marketing hasn't gone big budget mainstream yet. I'vd heard that there has been quite a lot of filming done by various companies for Wicker Man. 
[Insert Signature Here]
Ladyofthelake

It's always a very fine balancing act with marketing anything like this kind of thing - put things out too soon and you end up losing any monentum before it's even opened, put things out too late and you don't have the impact on opening. We need to remember that marketing isn't just simply TV adverts and posters, and also that the approcah to Wicker Man will be different to the approach to The Smiler as, athough they are both Secret Weapons, they are very different rides.

When you take everything into account, there has already been a substantial amount of marketing for Wicker Man. The inital reveal on the Towers Loving Care account; the signage on the construction walls surrounding the coaster throughout last season which will have been seen by anyone who visited the park; the labelling of SW8 on the 2017 park map; the publicity stunts by the London Eye; the inclusion of The Welcoming at Scarefest which introduced us to The Beronan and their story; the various teaser videos published on the Resort social media channels; plus the two major marketing drops this year - one in January which saw just about every major media outlet, including the BBC, ITV and national press, cover the announcement of the ride's name, and the drop just a couple of weeks ago with the first official images which saw similarly wide ranging coverage. Don't forget that The Sun are due to begin their usual free ticket promotion shortly and that will almost certainly centre on Wicker Man too pushing the ride firmly into the general public's consciousness.

As for the TV advert, we may get it just before park opening, or we may not get it until May time. Son't forget that Towers will need Wicker Man to draw in people all season long, not just in March, therfore they will have a marketing strategy which reflects this and see some advertising reserved for just before key trading periods such as the May half term and the school summer holidays.

However, I do strongly believe we will see something towards the end of next week, even if it is in the form of The Sun promotion, or a wider campaign.
MakoMania

There is a media event this week, Thursday I believe but it might have been Wednesday I can't remember 100%. It was supposed to be last week but got cancelled due to the snow.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
ThemeCrafter264

I'm more surprised we haven't seen the episodes that were leaked a while ago
JC13

ThemeCrafter264 wrote:I'm more surprised we haven't seen the episodes that were leaked a while ago
What episodes?
ThemeCrafter264

There were about 3 of them talked about in this PDF, from a film company who were working alongside the park for wicker man.
JC13

ThemeCrafter264 wrote:There were about 3 of them talked about in this PDF, from a film company who were working alongside the park for wicker man.
Oh yeah, I remember that. I saw them but never saved them or looked beyond the first page, then i went to look again and the post was deleted
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I think the fact the document was leaked caused them to be abandoned.
PhNx Survivor

Leaks are the reason we can’t have nice things.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
118hazaman

MakoMania wrote:There is a media event this week, Thursday I believe but it might have been Wednesday I can't remember 100%. It was supposed to be last week but got cancelled due to the snow.
The media event is this Thursday, so expect to hear more about Wicker Man then.
TheDuke

I hope Towers give relevant social media members of the press good access as they seem to be embracing social media as marketing of traditional methods. It would also be nice to see the opinions of enthusiasts as part of the initial press wave.
alicheesy

Just a heads up on the Seabrook crisp situation for veggies- they are vegetarian \:D/
Thank you to Owen for the most fabulous signature to ever exist ever
Zach

As can be seen on the Hotel ticket upgrade section on the website, Wicker Man will be included in the Gold and Platinum Fast track packages.

This will be updated on the tickets section on the website shortly.
Dan

Alton Towers have updated the Queue Times website and section of the Resort app to include Wicker Man. The ride is currently listed under the Family tab, however, it is uncertain whether it will remain there between now and opening day.

As mentioned by Zach above, the Resort have also updated the Fastrack packages on their website. The Bronze and Silver packages remain unchanged, however, Wicker Man is now included on the Gold and Platinum packages, which are both available to purchase from the start of the season.

T0mPr1ce

I imagine it will stay under the family tab, due to the 1.2m height restriction
Robert.W

I don't think it's in the wrong category, they should probably put TH13TEEN in the family section too.

Shame they couldn't add Wicker Man to the Silver Fastrack as that's the package we usually go for, but it's nice to see that it won't just be the VIP pass holders getting Fastrack for it. :)

Dan

T0mPr1ce wrote:I imagine it will stay under the family tab, due to the 1.2m height restriction
By that logic, both Th13teen and Spinball Whizzer should be under the family tab too :P

I very much expect Wicker Man to be listed under the Thrill attractions by the time the park opens.
Robert.W

Dan wrote:
T0mPr1ce wrote:I imagine it will stay under the family tab, due to the 1.2m height restriction
By that logic, both Th13teen and Spinball Whizzer should be under the family tab too :P

I very much expect Wicker Man to be listed under the Thrill attractions by the time the park opens.
Is Spinball not already under the family section? Thought it was, could be wrong though. :)

Dan

Robert.W wrote: Is Spinball not already under the family section? Thought it was, could be wrong though. :)
Nope, it’s under the Thrill tab :)