Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Altontowersbarlow

pleaty wrote:Just a thought but with the powered/launched lift hill and the relatively short track could the trains make 2 circuits of the track with a different speed of launch on the second circuit to give an out of control/runaway train type of feel. Not sure how this would work with multiple trains but maybe there could be some kind of switch track in the station building so the running train doesn't actually pass through the loading area, just close by adding to the out of control feel.....
My knowledge on layout is fairly limited, but if it is possible for trains to make multiple circuits even on multiple train operation, could the train complete a forwards launch and a backwards launch? Or even just a standard backwards and forwards lift/circuit like fire chaser express at Dollywood? This would be a European or worlds first surely?
I'm not aware of any wooden attraction that travels both backwards and forwards. This would explain the short track layout and adds some motive for Merlin to call it a SW. Furthermore some people have indicated that there is a show building before the lift hill and this could presumably hold a turntable of some sort paired with a few effects.
Evostance

Looking at the plans, the first drop in the sound tunnel seems somewhat lacking.

Perhaps the lift hill is not a launch as such, but just to get the rid up to speed. Perhaps theres an inversion in the tunnel.

Just for the sake of it, i'll go way out there - worlds first inverted woodie :yes:
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Whilst it doesn't look like the most impressive wooden coaster layout in terms of scale, I am hopeful that it will be a solid coaster that appeals to guests of a wide age range. It also looks like there's the potential for a fairly well-themed experience, with the theming envelopes suggesting that the two main theming features could be quite large, along with the documents stating that the sound tunnel will be themed and the inclusion of a substantial 140 second pre-show.

The plans don't really give any idea of what the Secret Weapon / world's first element, but perhaps it wouldn't be a bad thing if SW8 is more just a project name for a well-thought out and well-finished rollercoaster. It's also good to see that the construction schedule has them completing the project in December 2017, hopefully providing enough of a buffer for them to open it with the park in March in order to get the maximum benefit from the investment.

It does seem that some people are underwhelmed by this proposition mainly due to being teased with what could have been in Forbidden Valley, although I wonder if those plans will resurface in the future when the resort are in a better financial position. Clearly that project was initially viable as it had seemingly gone a fair way in the planning stages, the only significant change since then has been The Smiler incident and the consequent impact on visitation and revenue/profits. If the two experiences are sufficiently different (e.g. GCI family wooden coaster & launched RMC with inversions) I don't see why it wouldn't be feasible.
Altontowersbarlow wrote:
pleaty wrote:Just a thought but with the powered/launched lift hill and the relatively short track could the trains make 2 circuits of the track with a different speed of launch on the second circuit to give an out of control/runaway train type of feel. Not sure how this would work with multiple trains but maybe there could be some kind of switch track in the station building so the running train doesn't actually pass through the loading area, just close by adding to the out of control feel.....
My knowledge on layout is fairly limited, but if it is possible for trains to make multiple circuits even on multiple train operation, could the train complete a forwards launch and a backwards launch? Or even just a standard backwards and forwards lift/circuit like fire chaser express at Dollywood? This would be a European or worlds first surely?
I'm not aware of any wooden attraction that travels both backwards and forwards. This would explain the short track layout and adds some motive for Merlin to call it a SW. Furthermore some people have indicated that there is a show building before the lift hill and this could presumably hold a turntable of some sort paired with a few effects.
Although it isn't the longest of layouts, I don't think it is short enough to justify multiple circuits, there is also nothing to suggest that there is a switch track around the circuit. When the train exits the station it makes a rightwards turn and presumably descends enough to go under the main station building (going under the pre-show room and what looks to be a short interior queue section) and then turns left until reaching the lift hill, which is in a broadly similar direction to what the train emerged from the station in.
Evostance wrote:Looking at the plans, the first drop in the sound tunnel seems somewhat lacking.

Perhaps the lift hill is not a launch as such, but just to get the rid up to speed. Perhaps theres an inversion in the tunnel.

Just for the sake of it, i'll go way out there - worlds first inverted woodie :yes:
Assuming you're referring to it having an inversion rather than it being an inverted coaster in the style of Nemesis etc. , several wooden coasters with inversions have opened in the last few years with the first being Outlaw Run in 2013.
MakoMania

lewis97 wrote: Assuming you're referring to it having an inversion rather than it being an inverted coaster in the style of Nemesis etc. , several wooden coasters with inversions have opened in the last few years with the first being Outlaw Run in 2013.
I think it was a joke :P
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Ryan.B

thinking of what could be a worlds firs, it doesn't necessarily have to be a "Worlds First" it could be a European first, I was thinking a tilt track or something indoors on a pre show where the straight is, or maybe even cars like on seven dwarfs mine train. Unlikely, but not impossible.
Evostance

lewis97 wrote: Assuming you're referring to it having an inversion rather than it being an inverted coaster in the style of Nemesis etc. , several wooden coasters with inversions have opened in the last few years with the first being Outlaw Run in 2013.
It was a joke ;)

Although I meant an inverted woodie, not a woodie with inversions
dazza4783

Has anyone else noticed that Burger King is on the plans, meaning that unless it is coming back to the park in 2018 these are pretty old plans. Could well be one of the Woodies that John Wardley designed for the park after all. He did say there were a few that he had designed, not just the Cross Valley one.
Morgan

Lots of the plans for Chessington still refer to Pizza and Pasta as Pizza Hutt, so I doubt that Burger King will return :)
COASTERGENICS

guys!!

we have made it to the trending story on theme park review!
full credit for signature to NemesisRider!
CJH

With this being within the GDO, I can actually see these plans not being too correct.
Reasons being:
Smiler only shown 8 inversions on the original plans.
Burger King still being listed which shows to an extent these plans ain't correct.
The fact it states wooden track with steel topper (I am reading this as RMC topper track)

Yes it states the rides it has been likened to with the sound tests. But what would be the implications if this turned out to be a different manufacturer then hinted at? It's within the GDO after all. Expect the unexpected with this.
Really hoping it isn't a GCI as the ones with inversions already get slated for roughness. Like Hades at Mt Olympus.

Still holding out for an RMC, maybe wishful thinking but something smells fishy about all this!
Owen

Personally, I very much doubt the attraction will be much higher and an inversion is very doubtful, I definitely see this being a family coaster because firstly a smaller wooden coaster would likely be seen as less 'dangerous' as well as they would have to compete with Blackpool if they were aiming at a thrill market, which looking at that would be a very silly idea.

I do see the plans being slightly altered, but not as drastically as we saw with The Smiler.
xylyx

To my eyes on those plans there's no real room for any gimmick, unless something weird happens as you leave the station, a la The Smiler, hopefully this will just be a really exciting well designed, well constructed, well themed coaster. I personally think it is going to trade on the ground hugging qualities, which will be amazing if true. Can't wait. Now to wait until September when construction or more likely destruction starts lol
MakoMania

CJH wrote: The fact it states wooden track with steel topper (I am reading this as RMC topper

Really hoping it isn't a GCI as the ones with inversions already get slated for roughness. Like Hades at Mt Olympus.
1: All wooden coasters have some sort of steel topper :lol

2: Hades isn't a good comparison because it isn't GCI as you say, it is Gravity Group.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
dazza4783

CJH wrote:With this being within the GDO, I can actually see these plans not being too correct.
Reasons being:
Smiler only shown 8 inversions on the original plans.
Burger King still being listed which shows to an extent these plans ain't correct.
The fact it states wooden track with steel topper (I am reading this as RMC topper track)

Yes it states the rides it has been likened to with the sound tests. But what would be the implications if this turned out to be a different manufacturer then hinted at? It's within the GDO after all. Expect the unexpected with this.

Still holding out for an RMC, maybe wishful thinking but something smells fishy about all this!

It doesn't say it will be topper track, it just says that the wheels run on steel strips on top of the wood, all wooden coasters have these.
Hades is quite an old coaster, part of it was replaced to add an inversion when it became Hades 360 but only a small section of it was replaced. The rest of it is how it was when it originally opened in 2005.
Adz
Admin
Admin

There doesn't appear to be a gimmick, which to me is a good thing.

It's pretty much stated to be a GCI in the plans as it mentions other GCI coasters being used for noise comparisons, amongst other things.

GCI is a great manufacturer, and anyone who has ridden Wodan, Joris, Troy etc will agree.
Evostance

I'm still holding out for an RMC, rather than a GCI.

My concern here is that woodies are known for speed and airtime which ultimately leas to that out of control feeling.

Based off the plans shown, there doesn't look to be enough room for any of this

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
JaykeAT

I really hope the theme for this isn't as dark as other recent Merlin attractions. I understand it's a lot harder to create a back story or theme for something without a dark edge or idea to it but I feel like the park needs a bit more light relief in this department
Aidan Lowe

JaykeAT wrote:I really hope the theme for this isn't as dark as other recent Merlin attractions.
Given its location in the park one would imagine that the theme would remain quite light for this attraction. A good marketing team can market anything.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Spacemonkeys

Hey folks, long time stalker new poster.
Been playing around with Nolimits today. Not perfect and a little artistic licence used but may help to picture the possible layout.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pthyjf0k2hb9e ... 0.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygdszcs0puu9p ... 4.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0xst9il0qxwu ... 1.png?dl=0
JaykeAT

I hadn't thought of that. With that in mind I think the theme will be something to do with a pirate ship or something like The Kraken.