Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Yappo

I want to keep myself unspoiled in terms of details of what happens, but do we now know whether or not there's any kind of "post-show" in the maintenance shed?
Created with my unofficial Beornen runes font, available here.
DAN31

I've never really ridden wooden coasters apart from the ones at blackpool and never really been a fan, bit too rough for my liking!!
But with this im really excited as this is a full ride experience!! The theming looks incredible, and i'm really intrigued as to how the ride will end?
Will it replace Nemesis as the number 1 ride in the park?
I mean i know its not aimed at the thrill market and more for Families, but im convinced it will be right up there.
PhNx Survivor

If The Smiler doesn't replace Nemesis as the #1 coaster in the country, then I don't think Wicker Man will unfortunately.. if anything I strongly think it will be the 3rd best coaster in the park.. but with theming.. that beats everything :lol

With regards to spoilers I have only seen 1 from snapchat, didn't show anything thank god, but you will most likely be getting loads of leaks the closer we get to the date! Avoid like the plague!
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
krug

Does anyone know if you watch the pre-show standing up in a room or do you watch it whilst sat on the train before the ride sets off?
If you watch it standing up in a room, how long after it ends do you think you will get boarded onto the train? I'm just concerned that the pre-show will lose its impact if you then have to wait 5 minutes to actually get on the ride. 
The latest short vid of the train going through the wicker man chest with the fire FX and smoke looks amazing!
DAN31

PhNx Survivor wrote:If The Smiler doesn't replace Nemesis as the #1 coaster in the country, then I don't think Wicker Man will unfortunately.. if anything I strongly think it will be the 3rd best coaster in the park.. but with theming.. that beats everything :lol

With regards to spoilers I have only seen 1 from snapchat, didn't show anything thank god, but you will most likely be getting loads of leaks the closer we get to the date! Avoid like the plague!
I like the Smiler, it does what it says on the tin as they say but nothing more. And i wasn't really that hyped for The Smiler either, whereas this has really grabbed my attention. I much more excited for this then Icon at blackpool.
And i really anticipate this to be a really great all round coaster and experience.
Jack

Exciting times....
PhNx Survivor

Is that just a promo shot or is that actual effects we will experience?? Cause that looks incredible! Hope it's no spoilers lol.. advert will be fine thanks :lol
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
lewis97
Admin
Admin

PhNx Survivor wrote:Is that just a promo shot or is that actual effects we will experience?? Cause that looks incredible! Hope it's no spoilers lol.. advert will be fine thanks :lol
It's one of the photos released last Friday. It features some of the effects that will form part of the final experience, as well as some which were just in place for the filming of the TV advert.
JenRawrRizzle

It wont beat Nemesis, but its starting to come together really well. Nemesis was when Wardley was in his prime lol. He has slacked off since then, or maybe just had less freedom with budget constraints and planning.
NemesisRider

JenRawrRizzle wrote:It wont beat Nemesis, but its starting to come together really well. Nemesis was when Wardley was in his prime lol. He has slacked off since then, or maybe just had less freedom with budget constraints and planning.
I don’t know about others here, but I’d hardly call The Smiler, Oblivion or even Air “slacking off”. The Smiler’s layout is very well designed and extremely compact - though Wardley only did consulting on that. Oblivion is not as impressive of a layout, but it’s outlandish concept of digging a 100 foot hole for the ride to occupy is really incredible, and highly creative. I think Air also does exactly what John wanted it to do - it provides, in my opinion, a flying sensation unmatched (until the more recent flyers in Asia opened), even if budget cuts did affect the final product.
As for Wickerman, I’ll be trying to avoid spoilers but it may become impossible before opening day... I’m very excited, even if it sounds like it might not be the airtime machine woodie we were hoping for initially.
Uttox83

Come on Towers! Where this 'something new'.. The afternoon is nearly over :o
Morgan

Alton Towers are planning to go live on Facebook at 6pm, could we see a POV?
Loakin

THE RETURN OF FRANCIS JACKSON???
TheBeornen

Not long now if they are gonna go live at 6
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Adam W

Well that was a short stream haha
DeadJack5

Well... It was short but sweet. It shows off the structure well. It does brighten up well.

Did anyone notice the bang/explosion before the train enters the structure first? There is a spark and the structure sets alight and enters the structure. Impressed with that little clip!
Jack

[youtube]QqpmOYkX7to[/youtube]
The video of the ride, to save people searching for it :)
Nickolai

Or it is the ORP camera flashing ;)
Formally Smiler313
DeadJack5

Smiler313 wrote:Or it is the ORP camera flashing ;)
Isn't the ORP closer to the structure? This looks further away from it. I may be wrong but thought it was further back
Loakin

Wow wow wow, fantastic clip! I was hoping for a bit more, but it did look great.