Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
jamesc

Maybe a SFX Coaster to replace Duel as the building is big, maybe even extend it.

Rumoured that Thorpe Parks new 2016 dark ride is one of these, it maybe a bulk buy to get two at a discount.

But if Alton Towers get one in the same year would be interesting, as it may take customers away from Thorpe Park.

The cost is to believed to be in the region of £35 Million.
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!
MakoMania

Alton's next big investment will be in 2017 not 2016, Nick Varney said it himself. So it won't clash with Thorpe's 2016 dark ride. (which i'm soooo excited about☺)
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Georgie

And even so, I very much doubt that Merlin would want both parks to get similar rides within a few years of each other, as John Wardley mentioned that they would have taken the wing coaster route for SW7 if it wouldn't have stolen thunder from the swarm.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
mark_h

I doubt Merlin would want to order two copies of a currently unproven ride system. If it turns out to have reliability, throughput or satisfaction issues they won't want that at both Thorpe and Towers.

Later examples of rides tend to be better than the first builds as the manufacturers can improve on the designs.

A SFX coaster may make a good SW9!
TheBeast

Sorry but I disagree... I can't see a SW ride being an SFX coaster, mainly as they aren't as flashy as most, especially if they are indoor, and so far each new SW has been intended to top the current rides, given not all of them did but I doubt an SFX coaster will be the choice... for all we know, the Thorpe 2016 ride could be one
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
Ladyofthelake

TowersTimes News have just published an article detailing the first clues we have about SW8.

The details, revealed in a screening option indicate a ride including a pre-show, tunnels, and perhaps most interestingly that it will have 'timber trusses'. The location seems to indicate it will be on the side of Fobidden Valley where Burger Kitchen currently resides.

This certainly seems to be the strongest indication yet that SW8 could be the long awaited woodie :)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The full Screening Opinion can be found here.

There's almost no denying that this will be some sort of wooden coaster, however it remains to be seen whether it'll by a hybrid or a traditional woodie. I know I'd prefer to see a RMC rollercoaster join the park's ride line-up, and a hybrid would perhaps find the medium ground, with Merlin's belief that wooden coasters don't go down quite as well with the average guest.

With these first substantial hints to what the next major coaster will be, exciting times lie ahead!
Max

*crosses fingers for RMC*
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
Morgan

*touches wood to wish it's wood*
We can only hope at this stage. Very exciting!
:D
Tom

Whilst I was really praying for a Mack Megacoaster, I'm super excited about the potential prospect of AT finally getting a wooden coaster after all these years!

The Screening Opinion document seems to suggest that there will be quite a bit of change going on the eastern side of Forbidden Valley. I think everyone's sort of guessed that Blade and Ripsaw would be vacating some time soon, but I would presume from this that they will be going along with the shops and games stalls that currently reside in the vicinity. Should this be the case, it does fit in quite nicely with yesterdays news regarding the new restaurant in the Air shop.

Fingers crossed that it does end up being an RMC, I think anything other than an RMC wouldn't have the same edge. I can see a well laid out RMC going down very well with the GP, especially considering there's nothing like one in the UK (GP therefore probably have never seen anything like it).
Nathan_Fisher

I've heard very good things about RMC so fingers crossed this is what's proposed, there're other manufactures that also sound promising such as GCI, but as i keep saying, we'll just have to wait and see.
Karnan

Karnan wrote: Alton Towers 2017
Max Height: 20 m (I believe this means from lowest to highest point, not highest section of the structure)
Launch Velocity: 68 kmph
Launch Angle: 20 degrees
Max Velocity: 80 kmph (I am not sure what part of the layout this speed is reached, possibly following the first drop from the launch?)
Total Length: 885 m
Inversions: 2
"Barrel Roll"
"Zero G Roll"

Total Ride Time: 90 sec
Capacity: 1080 pph
Other interesting features:
Elements include: "Wave Turn" "120 degree Overbank" "S turns" "Corkscrew Float" (twisty airtime hill, doesn't invert)
2 tunnels underneath pathways. (One after the wave turn and near the station, the other further along the layout on the other side of the station.)
14 moments of airtime.
Do you guys want to reconsider what I told you in December? I still stand by my claim. Notice how I mentioned a low maximum height and two tunnels? The coaster won't extend far, just up a hill and back, certainly not cross-valley. Get excited, people!
Jack

Couldn't have put what Tom said any better there. :)

In my opinion, there are only 3 manufacturers that will really suit this area with their style of rides. RMC, GCI or GG.

I personally cannot see this being anything other than an RMC, it is the only one out of those that will really strike a chord with the GP and will definitely please every single person to ride, be it enthusiast or GP.

Something to also note is that John Wardley is involved in this and seems to have finally had his way with a wooden coaster of sorts :P
dazza4783

If you watch the neme21s video on youtube when Nick Varney is asked about possibly installing an RMC ride he seems to be trying too hard to make it seem like he's never heard of them or that they haven't installed any decent coasters. When asked about if he'd work with them as they have installed some very good rides he replied "Such as?", I think this was a deliberate attempt to put people off the scent. Maybe they are building Wardley's Woodie as a retirement gift and for John's final coaster before fully retiring.
Last edited by dazza4783 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Awright92

I hope its a cross valley coaster!
Altontowersbarlow

This is a surprising announcement but I am very excited about the prospect of a wooden hybrid coaster arriving at the Alton Towers resort in the near future. If Alton Towers choose to follow the RMC route I feel that this will strengthen the parks ride line-up and variation immensely. An RMC would allow airtime along with inversions which would fill a gap in the type of current ride experiences at Alton Towers and the wooden aspect of the coaster would also be a first for the park. Looking into the plans in more detail, I also feel it is very promising that a preshow building has been detailed in the early stages of planning, as this shows a commitment to the theming of SW8 as well as the physical ride experience. I would not be as impressed by a standard woodie however I still think it would add a different thrilling ride experience to the park which can only be a good thing I suppose. In terms of theme, I think they might have exhausted the Nemesis legend now and therefore it will be interesting to see how they mould SW8 into the existing theme and storyline of Forbidden Valley. The 14.5m height limit does not sound substantial for a thrilling coaster though unless major below ground level pits were excavated?
Last edited by Altontowersbarlow on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MakoMania

Didn't RMC say a while back they had interest from a park in the UK? Also, does this mean it won't be cross valley?
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Aidan Lowe

Pleased with this development to say the least. I don't personally like the visual aspect of a wooden coaster (bit of an eyesore) but the experience riding one is awesome.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Danny

This sounds very promising and I'm sure will make a lot of enthusiasts very happy!
If it's on the far side of FV, then it wouldn't need much height as there is a steep drop in to the Valley which they will probably use, but it is interesting that it mentions large ground level changes which could be for the tunnels?
I know everyone is wishing for RMC, and I'd love it myself, but I've got a strange feeling we may see GG here. Don't ask why, just a hunch. Either way I look forward to finding out more! :)
razgriz33

Exciting news there on sw8 and the restaurant, investment after investment can only be a positive thing for the customers, manufacturers and the jobs that they make

However personally after trying out the woodies at BPB I just don't like them. Overall they make me feel like I'm at the end of a jackhammer. They're seemingly a lot to look after in both money and labour. While this may appear contradict my first paragraph it's important to make a sustainable investment. Take alton mouse for example, it only lasted 3 years.

I'm sure merlin know what they're doing though so I'm still excited to see what we get