Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
haydn!

I actually would like to see what Merlin could come up with if they ploughed £20m into a dark ride. That said, from a commercial and business perspective, it's likely a dark-ride wouldn't draw the same level of attention as a headline coaster therefore it would take considerably longer to recoup the returns.
AdrenalineAlex

haydn! wrote: I actually would like to see what Merlin could come up with if they ploughed £20m into a dark ride. That said, from a commercial and business perspective, it's likely a dark-ride wouldn't draw the same level of attention as a headline coaster therefore it would take considerably longer to recoup the returns.
What about Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey and Spider-Man at Universal though? However, that is arguable because they have IP's designated to them and I'd rather Alton steer away from going for brands/franchises.
haydn!

They also cost $100m+  not £20m, and studio parks like Universal and Disney are heavily subsidised by city sized resorts and their studio parent companies.
Last edited by haydn! on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZozMeakizz

See, I disagree, I think Merlin would LOVE to build a dark ride, as it would mean more shipping container metal everywhere.... :lol: I personally don't want that, or a dark ride.. A simple but different beautiful coaster outside somewhere on the park would be my preference :)
R.I.P. Beastie!! You were my first terror!! :')
http://zoztpg.blogspot.co.uk/
Kenzie2012

I'd love to see a new haunted house... Something hugely immense that could rival DLP.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
SuperWill

I really want SW8 to be a wing coaster but it might not happen and here are some 3 reasons why it might not happen!

1 : We all know that any ride being built at Alton Towers can't go above tree hight.
2 : A wing coaster would need so much space like The Swarm at Thorpe Park.
3 : And finally the other reason is that it could be a different type of ride.

So those are my 3 reasons why we might not see a wing coaster!

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
Kenzie2012

Whatever it is... If they start work on it now, we may actually get a completed ride opening on the first day of the season.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
andy86

SuperWill wrote: I really want SW8 to be a wing coaster but it might not happen and here are some 3 reasons why it might not happen!

1 : We all know that any ride being built at Alton Towers can't go above tree hight.
2 : A wing coaster would need so much space like The Swarm at Thorpe Park.
3 : And finally the other reason is that it could be a different type of ride.

So those are my 3 reasons why we might not see a wing coaster!
I agree AT has too many restrictions which is sad in some respects, as it could have a lot more potential. I would love to see a wing coaster or even a classic b&m sit down looper, again space is just a problem AT faces. If the new Paramount Park gets the thumbs up, I bet we can count on seeing large coasters there. But that's a different story.
ADM182

My money is on a new ride on the flume site, the posters about the ducks days being nubered wernt a red herring in my opinion, I think Alton Tower just had a change of plans. 
If it were a red herring all it did was highlight how badly the flume need either replacing or updating, why do a ploy to creat a negitive image of a section of the park! Simply doesnt make sence froma  business point of view.

So SW8, something new from our friends is Switzerland!
ImURNemesis

ADM182 wrote: My money is on a new ride on the flume site, the posters about the ducks days being nubered wernt a red herring in my opinion, I think Alton Tower just had a change of plans. 
If it were a red herring all it did was highlight how badly the flume need either replacing or updating, why do a ploy to creat a negitive image of a section of the park! Simply doesnt make sence froma  business point of view.

So SW8, something new from our friends is Switzerland!
The posters were just a joke from Merlin to get us all talking about something, but I do agree that the flume site will be where the next SW will be placed, if not Air's car park. They were unoffical plans posted a while ago for an water interactive coaster with a gimmick for a lift hill.

Plus, the flumes site makes an awesome site for a B&M, Woodie or water coaster!  :D
scw55

I hope SW8 will be a 'new type of train/coaster type' because it's always exciting when that happens. Gives more to speculate other than "trick track" which we now all seem to expect.
Alton13Nemesis

I indeed had heard rumors of a 4D wing rider roller coaster back when SW6 was in development. I however don''t think Alton Towers is the right park to put a wing rider in.
For a start, a wing rider needs height, which Alton simply don't have. You could dig it down into the ground like they did with Nemesis and Oblivion but to be honest i don't really want a wing rider at Alton anyway.

I think the next Alton Towers roller coaster will be some sort of world first design, possible built by intamin, (i thought some sort of "techno coaster") down beyond air.
It could carry on with the nemesis story and have a stron horror theme.
insidethetowers network
CJH

Few rides I would like.

A wooden hybrid: outlaw run, the new Texas giant etc, through the valley. Unlikely but we can dream.
B&M hyper through the valley, they refused to comment when asked if inversions can be added to this concept.
A low wing coaster built on the Air car park, but this could seem similar to Air.

I could see a cross valley steel coaster, less trees to be removed etc.
Chris 21 Manchester
JaykeAT

I would love a hyper on the Air car park,putting air and sw8 in there own area and creating an area around the concept of floating
RCT3Bross

You guys know Hypers are those high out and back coasters. :? Not good for a park that has a hight limit of trees. :roll: I personally hope that SW8 is aether a Wooden coaster or a Europe's first. A Woodie is always good and with Outlaw run new rising of inversions I guess that could be something for AT (GCI said they would make a inversion make that the first all wood). ;)
JaykeAT

Hypers don't always have to be massive,just give us some lovely airtime
jb19852

a hyper could fit in the valley
CJH

RCT3Bross wrote: You guys know Hypers are those high out and back coasters. :? Not good for a park that has a hight limit of trees. :roll: I personally hope that SW8 is aether a Wooden coaster or a Europe's first. A Woodie is always good and with Outlaw run new rising of inversions I guess that could be something for AT (GCI said they would make a inversion make that the first all wood). ;)
Yes I am aware that a 200ft hyper coaster is highly unlikely for a park with height limit. UNLESS the park in question has a HUGE valley to play with.
Chris 21 Manchester
TomL

CJH wrote:
RCT3Bross wrote: You guys know Hypers are those high out and back coasters. :? Not good for a park that has a hight limit of trees. :roll: I personally hope that SW8 is aether a Wooden coaster or a Europe's first. A Woodie is always good and with Outlaw run new rising of inversions I guess that could be something for AT (GCI said they would make a inversion make that the first all wood). ;)
Yes I am aware that a 200ft hyper coaster is highly unlikely for a park with height limit. UNLESS the park in question has a HUGE valley to play with.
But there are grade 1 listed gardens in that valley...
jb19852

tleady wrote:
CJH wrote:
But there are grade 1 listed gardens in that valley...
not on all of it