Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
daboywunda

bensaund wrote: Yes Thorpe have brought a tin of paint for Colossus, but I don't think 2 litres will cover it.
They'll give it a damned good go though... With some spare for Rush too no doubt
seanyboyuk

I think sw8 will be built on the log flume site. Some kind of water coaster im guessing or a valhalla clone.
WillXav

DiogoJ42 wrote: The 4D B&M is a myth. The pipe dream of a deluded fanboy. There has never been a shred of evidence that they are planning such a ride.

:no:
....I wonder which deluded fanboy you're talking about  :roll:

I saw in some Italian web article that there was going to be a B&M 4D coaster installed in the UK. It's possible that Thorpe have the non-4D version and Alton will.
Kenzie2012

Has anything been released on SW8 yet??

If not, any ideas when we might get the first bits?
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
Henry

Im hoping that John Wardley will help us with a new B&M concept it the air carpark!
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!
LPAJ13

Kenzie2012 wrote: Has anything been released on SW8 yet??

If not, any ideas when we might get the first bits?
Guessing how it was announced last time, probably within a few weeks/months of 7 opening.
Its not what ya take out that works, its what you put in that makes it work
Kenzie2012

It's crazy that I'm more excited about that announcement ATM than I am about anything SW7 related.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
adrenilinejunkie

what is b & m?  :?
Kenzie2012

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com/index_en.aspx

Try this.... Heaven!!

I should probably mention they are the guys behind Nemesis and Inferno, Oblivion, Air and Stealth to name a few.
Last edited by Kenzie2012 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bensaund

Kenzie2012 wrote: http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com/index_en.aspx

Try this.... Heaven!!

I should probably mention they are the guys behind Nemesis and Inferno, Oblivion, Air and Stealth to name a few.
Stealth is Intamin like Rita. Or did you mean "The Swarm" rather than Stealth?
If you go down to the woods today
Kenzie2012

bensaund wrote:
Kenzie2012 wrote: http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com/index_en.aspx

Try this.... Heaven!!

Stealth is Intamin like Rita. Or did you mean "The Swarm" rather than Stealth?
Bleurgh.... I really did mean The Swarm.

Very tired last night..
scw55

SW8 needs to offer something AT lacks.
They already have a flier.
They already have a suspended underneath the track.
They already have a launch.
They already have 'vertical'.
They already have a freefall drop.
They will have a sit-down-inverting.

So what's lacking is height which is impossible, and sort of already covered by Oblivion.

If they replace the Flume it'll need to be a water coaster. Could be interesting what could be built. I don't think waterrides are taken seriously in the UK. They're seen as flumes and that's it. Thorpe Park has that thing. Could be potential to push the tracked-water ride. As SW8 has to be a coaster, it should be a water coaster.

A cross-valley woody would fill a niche AT lacks. 'Upy-Downy Air Time Coaster thing with big drops'. It would need to be wooden otherwise it might bear resemblence to Th1r733(pi).

Other alternative is some exciting fresh new idea which is outside the box. B&M is my favourite manufactorer because of the aesphetics of their coasters. But their coasters benefit from having large spaces to 'breath in'. Granted it hasn't stopped them in the past with AT (Oblivion and Nemesis) with making great rides. But with Air it does feel like there's a missed oppurtunity. If SW8 is a B&M I hope it doesn't get overshadowed by its future siblings. I think Oblivion and Nemesis have cermented their own identities by being unique (only Dive Machine into a sub-terrain vertical hole and only Inverter themed around a Monster trying to kill you).

I hope AT don't rely too much on Trick Tracks for the future. In SW7 it looks like they won't thankfully. I don't think a trick-track should be the centerpiece of a layout. I think Tilt-Coasters are the best example, or B&M Dive Machine Holding Breaks. They are 'trick tracks', but they add so much. They're also not hush-hush surprises. You know the coaster will do that act. But each time it will thrill you regardless. I fancy B&M doing a Wing-Rider with a Vertical section. Or B&M adding those half-loop drops to all their Coasters. That's SW8 unrelated. I should stop as I am rambling.
truckaddict

Wing Coaster! The SWARM is amazing but Alton Towers could make one better! Cedar Point in Ohio is currently building a winger and OMG it looks amazing! Alton need to do something big and better than thorpes to stay the top theme park in the UK

Bi and proud
Liam B

could take away the haunted hollow. take away the flume. and have that HUGE area for a new dark water ride. that is a lot of space to build something good in! with many different elements mixed in. wooded areas. dark areas. water areas are all possible things. it should be something they look into as the flume is becoming dated, and I dont think a refurbishment and a new name will do the job.
SamSimkin

A wind rider in gloomy wood. Ducking in and out of the trees, based around you are riding a witches broomstick or something like that

That's my dream!
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
ZozMeakizz

Right... Let's go.
I don't think a Wing rider is right for Alton, you need space for that, and I also think a lack of trees is a good idea too. ;) I would love a wing rider, if they could somehow fit it into the planning constraints? (I would love to see a launched B&M wing rider.. but not at Alton, that'd take away from Rita). The only place I can see it going is in the air car park, but it'd take away from air completely. Therefore, unfortunately, I personally have to cross it out on my dreams list. :(

So, yes as I previously mentioned, the air car park is a possible site. If they do use this, then I would say that they go for air and the car park being a separate section to Forbidden Valley, I mean I'm sorry, but does air really fit into FV? Nope. Maybe they could go for an elements sort of theme, so Earth, Wind, Fire,Water... Wind is covered by air. So then there are just 2 more... It may mean that they would only see 4 rides as necessary though, and then just leave it to age, whilst the rest of the park gets updated.

Another possible placing could be Coaster Corner as a completely new area? I don't know much about Coaster Corner personally, or the sort of state it's in, but it's still a possibility.

The final position which is my preference would be for it to be in Gloomy Wood, I think it's such a good little section and needs more. I think that if this is the case then The Flume will obviously have to be removed. But on the lake? tank? (I don't know what to call it) The bit at the bottom of the final drop? You know where I mean? I think will be used as a family Pirate-themed Swan boats thing or similar. Then the Gloomy wood end of the Haunted Hollow can be used for the new roller coaster :) The area can also then be expanded by just simply going further along towards Mutiny Bay.

Now, for the ride itself. So it sounds like it'll be a B&M. But, it might not be, we've already 3 B&Ms and that's quite a lot for such a customer-picky company. It's got to be something unusual... Now what I'd love.. and I've literally just come up with it, but I myself LOVE it :) What if the track went 2 ways.. so it was like a duelling coaster, only it started as one train, then split into 2 at some point, using a junction?? I would love it to be themed around something in Duel, like the spiders maybe?? But yeah, that's what i would love for SW8 :D
R.I.P. Beastie!! You were my first terror!! :')
http://zoztpg.blogspot.co.uk/
Marcus

SW8 = Cross valley wing rider pleaassee  [-o<
AJLlama

Moley wrote: Transformers or Spiderman style dark ride please.
Totally Agree, or Harry plopper and the forbidden journey style
Kenzie2012

Marcus Assab wrote: SW8 = Cross valley wing rider pleaassee  [-o<
I just can't ever see them getting permission for anything in the valley area..... Shame.

:santa:
Marcus

Kenzie2012 wrote:
Marcus Assab wrote: SW8 = Cross valley wing rider pleaassee  [-o<
I just can't ever see them getting permission for anything in the valley area..... Shame.

:santa:
They would never accept it due to the amount of tree's getting rid of, noise and the fact that its a historic place. The air-time on it would be mental.