Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Phild94

If anyone hasn’t seen the video it’s nothing spectacular that we haven’t seen HOWEVER...

1. There’s a visible staircase to the Wicker Man’s shoulders (behind the scenes tour excitement builds)

2. The music at around 0:16 is really great, hope this is used in the same way as the Smiler’s TV ad laughing version.

3. Once again an empty train looks to be shifting along quite nicely on the tracks! Looks like we’re in for a speedy ride
fillc85

i think it is looking really good in the day, all the themeing is going to be one of the best (if not the best) themed rides in the UK.  echoing what others have said i just wish AT would open late throughout the year so we can see the flames and get the full effect - i guess scarefest will be full of enthusiasts this year hahaha
dazza4783

The video has also been posted to youtube.
[youtube]wMArxq6g2_A[/youtube]
Robert.W

lewis97 wrote:New drone footage has been released by Towers, as posted on the TowersTimes Facebook page. It shows off the theming structure and the surrounding area during both the day and night, plus there's even sound (albeit it sounds as though it's been added in post-production) :P

And in other news, Seabrook have provided more details of their partnership with Alton Towers to promote Wicker Man. The main feature being the introduction of a new limited-edition crisp flavour, Fiery Woodsmoked BBQ, which will be available from April.

Definitely going to have to try these! :P

TheBeornen

I don't know if there is any ride with a theming element in the UK on par with the Wicker Man statue, the marmaliser and the nemesis monster are probably the two closest in my opinion.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
fillc85

For me Raptor Attack at Lightwater Valley has the best theming on a coaster (in the UK), in terms of queue line and ambience. The ride isn't all that great though. As you enter the sewer it feels like you are going further and further underground. Wicker Man seems to have the build up and story telling that Nemesis, Thirteen and The Smiler lack, if you didn't know the back story you wouldn't get it from the ride or queue. To me AT rely on a central piece of themeing with little story telling, other than Hex and Wicker Man.
chrisgeorgiou46

TheBeornen wrote:I don't know if there is any ride with a theming element in the UK on par with the Wicker Man statue, the marmaliser and the nemesis monster are probably the two closest in my opinion.
Remember, Thorpe have an abandoned log flume to help make SAW even more terrifying. Now that is dedication!
Dan

Once again, I’m really impressed with that video from Towers. It gives us some close up, day time shots of the Wicker Man itself which is appropriate considering the limited amount of dark-riding we’ll get over the course of the season.

It would be nice if they released some footage of the effects going off during the day, although I don’t expect them to as it obviously won’t look anywhere near as good as it does in the dark, and considering how well this whole project seems to be going down on social media, they won’t want to give anyone reason to criticise and reduce the hype for it.
Dom

If AT were clever, they would open Wicker Man for hotel guests only in the evening and have a bus take guests to and from an entrance to allow them to ride. This way people would have the ability to experience it more during the evenings and in the dark year round. By doing this is would mean the hotels would probably fully book as people would not only get ERT on it but they would get to experience it during the time which they are heavily advertising.
fillc85

Dan wrote:Once again, I’m really impressed with that video from Towers. It gives us some close up, day time shots of the Wicker Man itself which is appropriate considering the limited amount of dark-riding we’ll get over the course of the season.

It would be nice if they released some footage of the effects going off during the day, although I don’t expect them to as it obviously won’t look anywhere near as good as it does in the dark, and considering how well this whole project seems to be going down on social media, they won’t want to give anyone reason to criticise and reduce the hype for it.
Totally agree its great to see some daytime footage and to actually see everything.  if you pause the vid at 0.11 you  get a great view of the whole area. I I was originally worried about the tunnels and how they would effect the look of the ride. but IMO they look so good and add to the overall look. The wood and rock work look amazing.  One thing i have noticed (don't know whether its deliberate or the time of year) but there doesn't seem to be much foliage or greenery around the site.
PhNx Survivor

Foliage has been planted, you can see in pictures taken from aerial views. It just means we have to wait for it to grow a little.. will look great in the future though!
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Jcoaster

Phild94 wrote:If anyone hasn’t seen the video it’s nothing spectacular that we haven’t seen HOWEVER...

1. There’s a visible staircase to the Wicker Man’s shoulders (behind the scenes tour excitement builds)

2. The music at around 0:16 is really great, hope this is used in the same way as the Smiler’s TV ad laughing version.

3. Once again an empty train looks to be shifting along quite nicely on the tracks! Looks like we’re in for a speedy ride
I doubt the stairs are for behind the scenes tours, more for maintenance and safety. 
Phild94

I know they’re for maintenance and safety but think they would be great to use as part of a behind the scenes tour!
Jcoaster

Phild94 wrote:I know they’re for maintenance and safety but think they would be great to use as part of a behind the scenes tour!
As much as that would be awesome and offer great views of the Wicker Man ride area, I believe that Health and Safety would go wild if guests were that close to the real fire effects. Even though they'd obviously be turned off, I still think it's a potential issue in the eyes of Health and Safety
MakoMania

ITV news now reporting that Wicker Man will open on March 17th!

SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Adam W

To be expected but here was the response I got when asking about a maximum height restriction:

Dom

MakoMania wrote:ITV news now reporting that Wicker Man will open on March 17th!

ITV have since deleted the tweet, so i think the information wasn't supposed to come out yet :lol
Dan

The link to the tweet still works, but the article has been changed to say the ride is opening in Spring.

Either ITV inadvertently released the opening date, or they guessed. Either way, we still don’t officially know when Wicker Man will open, despite everything pointing to it being March 17th.
Dom

I think its having a funny 5 minutes as it doesn't work on my laptop, but works on my mobile :lol
MakoMania

Typical Towers :P

Perhaps the date will be announced during the media event next week?
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]