Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Mikw

So, is the answer to just reduce it to two trains?  Not great for throughtput, but better than having to reset and send empty trains around surely?
ponder

DeadJack5 wrote:
ponder wrote:I'm struggling to understand why a GCI woody with a fairly straight forward lay-out is having so many technical issues. You can understand it with new tech (like with Air), but it seems a bit baffling that they're having so many issues with this.
Apparently it is overshooting, every time it does this the system is tripped and has to restart again. This is why they are sending around empty trains so often because they need to reset the system. I maybe be wrong but this is what I've been told by staff.
Like I say, baffling. For an established manufacturer like GCI and a park with the experience of AT to have made such an error just seems odd, especially after all the testing etc. You'd have thought this would have been flagged, and corrected, in time for opening. Even more so when it opened a week later than scheduled.
DeadJack5

ponder wrote:
DeadJack5 wrote:
ponder wrote:I'm struggling to understand why a GCI woody with a fairly straight forward lay-out is having so many technical issues. You can understand it with new tech (like with Air), but it seems a bit baffling that they're having so many issues with this.
Apparently it is overshooting, every time it does this the system is tripped and has to restart again. This is why they are sending around empty trains so often because they need to reset the system. I maybe be wrong but this is what I've been told by staff.
Like I say, baffling. For an established manufacturer like GCI and a park with the experience of AT to have made such an error just seems odd, especially after all the testing etc. You'd have thought this would have been flagged, and corrected, in time for opening. Even more so when it opened a week later than scheduled.
Whilst yes it is sad to see this happen, its pretty much the first time it's been put through its paces with the GP riding. Yes it has had preview events and testing but you will never truly know of a problem you have until it is tested with the public in a normal scenario. GCI will be looking into this extensively so that this problem is resolved. Like I was told a few days ago, this is the first wooden coaster in 21 years and GCI's first coaster in the UK, they'll want to stop this and resolve it as soon as. All new coasters have problems to start with in some shape or form, it's just a shame it's had to happen with the eyes of the media and world looking down on Alton Towers after previous events
PhNx Survivor

Even though this is the first coaster in 21 years in this country, and being a GCI.. it shouldn’t really matter since GCI make coaster across the globe with the same technology.. I’m sure it’ll all be sorted soon enough, and hope it’s okay on Sunday as that’s when I attempt to go again for the 4th time this month :lol
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Justin

Yesterday, I was lucky enough to be on the last ride of the day, for the second day running, however, as we left the shop maintenance had taken control of the ride and switched on additional lighting.

Along with the evacuation lighting along the track, Big Bob also had lighting inside his head. I took a few images below, but it was really cool to see it all lit up. It looks like there is a service platform in there too.

TheBeornen

Monday seriously can't come quick enough, can't wait to ride this beauty.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Joel Allen

Today, strangely, it seems Wicker Man is not on Early Ride Time. Instead, it’s Oblivion and Spinball Whizzer, with Wicker Man opening at 10am today.

I wonder if they are doing some work on it to make it more reliable?
Ryan.B

Over the last two weekends I've been on the ride four times, with three of them being yesterday and not once did I queue over 70 minutes. I wasn't too optimistic about the ride but it's honestly beaten all expectations! Onto yesterday, first time I ride it it broke down in the queue in the afternoon, was under the lift hill at this point and by the time it reopened I was straight on pretty much.

Went over to The Smiler and Oblivion quickly, did both and got in the queue again, thinking it would be the last ride of the day, mainly because I'd seen a queue board saying queues close at 5, which was wrong, I ended up joining the queue again once I realised and must have been around 3/4 trains off the final train of the day.
What can I say? It's fast, forceful, well themed and probably the mosy fun ride on park, it may not be the best, but it's only beaten by Nemesis and The Smiler, and as a coaster it's the most complete package on park, and from what I saw, everyone that went on enjoyed it.

Ive sat in row three twice and the front twice in a row yesterday, and it seemed fast so I can't wait for a back seat ride! No idea what to expect :lol

Only problem I had is it was running on my first go yesterday without the fire, and was so for a bit. Anyone know why?
Chukensky

I wouldn’t see them dropping down to a two train operation having much effect throughput wise.

On all 7 occasions of me riding, there was always a train waiting behind the one in the station, so even if they did drop to a two train operation, there would always be a train in the station.

Also, anyone know whether they’ve fixed the faulty mist machine?
Adz
Admin
Admin

Chukensky wrote:I wouldn’t see them dropping down to a two train operation having much effect throughput wise.

On all 7 occasions of me riding, there was always a train waiting behind the one in the station, so even if they did drop to a two train operation, there would always be a train in the station.

Also, anyone know whether they’ve fixed the faulty mist machine?
Once the operational issues are sorted out the three train operation will really come into play and the throughput will be greatly improved. Right now there's issues which are causing delays and are partly the reason for the stacked trains in the station/brake run.

Not sure on the mist machine, it was still pouring water out on Thursday.
Ryan.B

Would it be a good idea for a test seat? I saw 3 people have to leave the ride and it did affect it. The queue was generally moving quickly though, a train was on the lift as the other rolled onto the brake run quite consistently. The ride team genuinely seemed like one of the most efficient in a while, considering all the issues which aren't their fault, so props to them!
Zach

Ryan.B wrote:Would it be a good idea for a test seat? I saw 3 people have to leave the ride and it did affect it. The queue was generally moving quickly though, a train was on the lift as the other rolled onto the brake run quite consistently. The ride team genuinely seemed like one of the most efficient in a while, considering all the issues which aren't their fault, so props to them!
It is to my understanding a test seat is on order/ to be installed at some point in the future. The issue with generously sized guests I have noticed as it does cause issues for waiting time as well as the host who have to awkwardly explain to the guest they have to get off the ride.

I believe it’s in the best interest of everyone a test seat is installed sooner rather than later.
Chris
Admin
Admin

The restraints are being way too sensitive at the moment and the ride is not permitting average to large sized people to ride, when these same people would not have any issues on the other coasters in the park. Seems like even when the restraints are locking, the computer still says no.

We rode five times on Sunday, and every single train that we saw had to have rechecks, significantly reducing the dispatch times.

Just two members of staff on the platform does not seem enough when they have to check the whole train and one of them kept being distracted at the exit.

We understand GCI are still on site tweaking as required.
Justin

Right, I have a problem! :lol

Joel Allen

Wow! I love the Wicker Man resin near the back. How much does that cost? I’m going there this Friday.
Justin

I believe it was £9 :)
Joel Allen

Justin wrote:I believe it was £9 :)
That's not bad. I'm getting one!!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Justin wrote:Right, I have a problem! :lol

That problem being that they don't sell a Wicker Man duvet cover? ;) 
Tom170499

How much have you spent!? :lol 
Justin

lewis97 wrote: That problem being that they don't sell a Wicker Man duvet cover? ;) 
I think the tartan works well ;)
Tom170499 wrote:How much have you spent!? :lol 
I don't think I want to know! :lol