Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Dom

I can totally understand why people are slightly disappointed in the advert as it doesn't really focus on the backstory of the ride, which is a shame, but given its sticking with the way the other adverts have been done, including Smiler, it fits in that way. I think what wins it over for me is that it is a family friendly advert, while also keeping an air of mystery but showing off the rides main themeing feature. We could have had another 13 style advert, which I don't think anyone wanted. 
TheBeornen

Dom wrote:I can totally understand why people are slightly disappointed in the advert as it doesn't really focus on the backstory of the ride, which is a shame, but given its sticking with the way the other adverts have been done, including Smiler, it fits in that way. I think what wins it over for me is that it is a family friendly advert, while also keeping an air of mystery but showing off the rides main themeing feature. We could have had another 13 style advert, which I don't think anyone wanted. 
Yeah if this advert was more like the Beornen teasers we've had before, it wouldn't really have appealed to families and would've been one step too close to the old Th13teen advert.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Jack

The advert is there to sell the product to the masses, not the story to enthusiasts and I feel that needs to be remembered. This ad will hype up non enthusiasts to ride Wicker Man in the end, and that's what we all want considering how long we've waited for a wooden coaster, isn't it? Remember guys, although Alton Towers will interact with Enthusiasts a lot, tease you all and make you feel front and centre, the people they want to get buying into the new ride en mass don't care about the finer details as we all do.

And bearing all that in mind I think it's the perfect ad, it does it's job perfectly and sells the rides image better than many of us could have done being in the position of selling such a difficult product considering the last few years at Merlin. :)
Justin

It certainly is a great ad and I do agree with Jack. It hits the general public well. It is slick and dramatic and will appeal to many.
DeadJack5

I really like the tone of it and the music used up until the end of when the actore kneel in front of the Wicker Man, The long note of music really adds to it, I personally don't like the rest of it but it's typical Towers. The first half is mysterious and eerie, It really adds to the tension.

I do agree with what's been said above, it's aimed at the GP so doesn't need added lore in the advert as they will get this when on the ride. The advert is perfect for what it needs to do, show the theming, on ride video and where to go to experience the ride. It shows the ride is aimed at the family market with the actors used and gets that point across. I don't think the GP will bother too much with the use of GCI, they'll just see that the structure is set on fire and will expect that on the ride. Like I've said, I like this advert and think it will mix well with the public. The official opening is now 2 days away, I can't wait to see what this ceremony will consist of.
Aidan Lowe

Here is some beautiful off-ride shots in 4k 

[youtube]GeqXclds7A8[/youtube]
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
PhNx Survivor

Looks great! I should have been going tomorrow but due to my car deciding to shut down I can no longer go.. so upsetting!
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
TheDuke

Dom wrote:I can totally understand why people are slightly disappointed in the advert as it doesn't really focus on the backstory of the ride, which is a shame, but given its sticking with the way the other adverts have been done, including Smiler, it fits in that way. I think what wins it over for me is that it is a family friendly advert, while also keeping an air of mystery but showing off the rides main themeing feature. We could have had another 13 style advert, which I don't think anyone wanted. 
I like the ad it gets the job done perfectly well so I don't really get the issue, 13 had an interesting ad as it played to the theme and mystery but didn't really show the actual ride so it didn't get the family element across i quite like it.
zappomatic

If you want to stay dry, sit on the left (or hope that they've fixed the faulty mister!)
Aidan Lowe

zappomatic wrote:If you want to stay dry, sit on the left (or hope that they've fixed the faulty mister!)
Well considering its on the old flume site some may like the "moist" aspect. 
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Tom170499

zappomatic wrote:If you want to stay dry, sit on the left (or hope that they've fixed the faulty mister!)
The effects have already started to break then
Owen

The effect was broken on Thursday as well...

Needless to say when you’re hit in the face with water at 30+ mph it’s not very comfortable!
JC13

I was on the first train today, second to back. The theming is awesome, but the ride didn’t impress me like I thought it would. It is intense, but doesn’t have much airtime
MakoMania

The queue is painfully slow. Getting about 200 people per hour currently.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
JC13

MakoMania wrote:The queue is painfully slow. Getting about 200 people per hour currently.
Seriously?
MakoMania

JC13 wrote:
MakoMania wrote:The queue is painfully slow. Getting about 200 people per hour currently.
Seriously?
Yeah, it's going down every 5 minutes, which is understandable with a new ride, but many people are getting really annoyed.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Dannyski

And now it’s shut, q line cleared. Another Merlin triumph!
ThemeParkEwan

Wonder if it will even open later today, since the queues been evac'd. TowersStreet are saying they’re giving out priority passes excluding Wicker Man, so either that means they know it won’t reopen today or they just don’t want a herd of fastrackers all at once if it reopens

Edit: apparently at the station they’re giving out Wicker Man passes. So hopefully will be back up today!
Dannyski

We were just on the final queue section and we got Wicker Man priority passes.
ROYJESS

Owen wrote:The effect was broken on Thursday as well...

Needless to say when you’re hit in the face with water at 30+ mph it’s not very comfortable!
So were there more to the effects as you go through the Wicker Man?  I rode it several times on Thursday and I wasn't impress with the special effects.  The fire effects on the Wicker Man felt too artificial to me.  The leaking water was very annoying though 

I feel so sorry for those on park today, especially with it being busy, 3 hours queues as well as breakdowns.  I'm glad that I gave the weekends a miss, I hope that you all manage to get a ride on Wicker Man today soon