Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
ScareTOUR

I'm so pleased to see that everyone is raving about Wicker Man. It really is a stunning ride. It will be a massive hit during our exclusive hire during ScareCON!  (We have a few "Scare fan" tickets available for when we open the park on May 23rd for 2 hours on Wicker Man, a very special House of Monsters and the return of Skinsnatchers)
Robert.W

The designer has now revealed the full rune alphabet! :)

DeadJack5

Tomorrow at 6:30pm, Alton Towers will unveil the new TV advert featuring the Wicker Man as confirmed on their Twitter account.
Yappo

Robert.W wrote:The designer has now revealed the full rune alphabet! :)
Brilliant! I guess it's time for another font update then...
Created with my unofficial Beornen runes font, available here.
TheBeornen

Man I can't wait to ride this, all the videos from the night press event has really got me hyped, April 2nd can't come soon enough.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Wagstaff04

I've been thinking. What if Alton towers called the weather warning late on purpose to generate media involvement and get more people talking about it?
Dan

Wagstaff04 wrote:I've been thinking. What if Alton towers called the weather warning late on purpose to generate media involvement and get more people talking about it?
I’m sorry, but no.

I believe they left the announcement so late as they wanted to give as much time as possible for the weather forecast to change, and when it was clear it wasn’t going to, they adjusted their operational schedule.

Having been there at the weekend, there’s no way it could have opened, the weather was just too poor.
Ladyofthelake

Wagstaff04 wrote:I've been thinking. What if Alton towers called the weather warning late on purpose to generate media involvement and get more people talking about it?
I can assure you that Towers would in no way have done that. They were all set for opening on Saturday 17th March - that's why the Press Night was the 16th so that media could experience it that evening then cover opening day the following morning. They will have also had to rearrange a significant amount of other elements which were in place for the 17th, something which will create some additional expense for them to move to the 24th. As Dan mentioned, the only reason they would have left things so late would have been to give the forecast chance to improve.
jwewan

Wicker man has opened as a part of ERT today!
Justin

Having travelled up for opening weekend, I'm really looking forward to visiting again next week. Having seen it in person, I'm probably even more excited about riding it than I was before! :)
PhNx Survivor

I didn’t make it to the gates last weekend, due to the Facebook status made by AT.. this weekend however I will be there nice and early for the grand opening! Will be nice to see others there from this forum :P
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Liam.W

Justin wrote:Having travelled up for opening weekend, I'm really looking forward to visiting again next week.  Having seen it in person, I'm probably even more excited about riding it than I was before! :)
I'm the same! Seeing it in person and teasing me knowing I could have been riding it has just made me even more excited for riding it! Saturday can't come fast enough!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

JC13

The advert is on their facebook, and it’s, interesting...
homer22422

Quite disappointed with the advert :I 
GRREGG

Worst TV ad they’ve put out for a SW. Massive shame, this had so much more potential to showcase the story of the Beornen and to really generate some interest. Instead we’re fed with heavily CGI’d track shots, no clear story and a really half arsed attempt.
Liam.W

I absolutely love that advert :love
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Justin

I really, really like the advert. It is very good!
TheBeornen

I actually really enjoyed that advert, it followed the similar style of the previous two ride tv adverts as well which I liked (The Smiler and Galactica.)
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Nickolai

I really like their advert! I think it fits in with the other SW advers (like The Smiler), quite well! The fact it is youths and families riding it shows the target market to the GP well. Well done Towers in my opinion!
Formally Smiler313
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The CGI used on the Wicker Man itself looks a bit odd (and I don't really get why they've had to use it to the extent they have, as it looks great as it is), but otherwise I think it does what it needs to and it's pleasing to see the use of some actual ride footage.