Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Morgan

It seems not even Wicker Man is safe from upsells and stands, as this picture from TowersStreet Facebook proves!

Last edited by Dan on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Linked to original source
Robert.W

Yep, it's really silly. Like I said on TS the other day, what if someone has travelled hundreds of miles, and are only able to visit the park for one day, and have yet to see Wicker Man for the first time, only to find some bright green camper van selling shower gel parked right in front of it? It just isn't really fair in my opinion. 

These types of marketing campaigns should be limited only to areas like Towers Street and Fountain Square. :(

Swarm Chris

Robert.W wrote:Yep, it's really silly. Like I said on TS the other day, what if someone has travelled hundreds of miles, and are only able to visit the park for one day, and have yet to see Wicker Man for the first time, only to find some bright green camper van selling shower gel parked right in front of it? It just isn't really fair in my opinion. 

These types of marketing campaigns should be limited only to areas like Towers Street and Fountain Square. :(
Doesn't the van roof double as a nice viewing platform? Because, that's what I'd assume it was there for. :lol

But it really makes no sense. Spend a huge amount theming, then shove this thing there. Do we know if it made an appearance again today?
Robert.W

It was just for one day, I think. Original Source had been running a competition a while back for people to win tickets to the resort. 

I just don't get why though. Since when did shower gel have any relation to Wicker Man's theme? It's just typical Merlin after every penny they can get sadly. :(

Swarm Chris

Well, as a Google search for "original source wicker man" gives predominantly links about the source material for the 1973 movie and a single page stating the competition terms, looks like that promotion was beneficial to all parties!

I can understand Merlin attaching anything to Wicker Man, as it's cheap advertising that can appear on shelves across the country. I could also understand them having a photo shoot with their van where it is. But to keep the van there when guests are in, it's the theme park equivalent of the person on their phone in the cinema.
Dungeon-X-Smile

Morgan wrote:It seems not even Wicker Man is safe from upsells and stands, as this picture from TowersStreet Facebook proves!

That’s ridiculous! This ride is all about theming... and they’d do this.

But hey, we don’t know. Maybe the old, technology hating gods of the ride can’t go without their shampoo?
Dan

The flames are back!

Clicky clicky click
Swarm Chris

Flames on both the left and right side? What is this witchcraft!?
Dan

Given the video I linked above didn’t show the flames very well, have a picture.

Credit: InstantlyInverted on Twitter.
wamdue

Oh yeah, that van is dumb. Wicker Man should stand alone, it doesn't need anything else in its skyline.
Rustyo

Finally got to ride Wicker Man on Friday and what can I say but wow. I’m so pleased they got the fire working (for my birthday as well) but only for the off ride visuals. The ride itself is incredible and the fire effect is great but in no way would I think lesser of the ride if it wasn’t working.

Brilliant, top marks to Alton Towers and Merlin.
Justin

I think people underestimate how good Wicker Man is. While it doesn't look fast, it is certainly an intense ride, especially when it banks towards 'Big Bob'.

I think Alton have nailed this coaster (excuse the pun) as I believe it has the right atmosphere which has been created perfectly with music, ride aesthetics and the actual ride experience. It certainly sets the benchmark for any Merlin coaster now, and I strongly believe any coaster should have a backstory and high quality theming to allow riders to immerse themselves into a different world.
Liam.W

Has Wicker been opening for 9:30 recently?
Going on Wednesday and need to know if I should bother heading to WickerMan during ERT.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

ThemeCrafter264

When is Wicker Man the quietest to ride (apart from ert which normal guests don't have access to)?
Jack

It's always hard to tell, it just depends on the day I guess. I'd think lunch time would die down a bit and then near the end of the day when people begin to leave the park :)
Dan

Liam.W wrote:Has Wicker been opening for 9:30 recently?
Going on Wednesday and need to know if I should bother heading to WickerMan during ERT.
I believe it now opens on time more often than not
Justin

Liam.W wrote:Has Wicker been opening for 9:30 recently?
Dan wrote: I believe it now opens on time more often than not
They will check your tickets or Annual Pass though to ensure you are entitled to ERT, so don't discard any hotel tickets or MAPs :)
Stan.H

ThemeCrafter264 wrote:When is Wicker Man the quietest to ride (apart from ert which normal guests don't have access to)?
Recently the best time to ride it is around 2pm, as afterwards, it starts to pick up again. Or maybe head over when it's broken down as many people bail. Otherwise, there's not really a quiet time for the ride (which I guess is quite a good sign, because it's proven quite popular). 
Dan

Wicker Man’s reliability gremlins appear to have struck again over the past couple of days.

Yesterday it was very late opening, and today it is yet to open.

It saddens me to see such a well executed attraction having such extended downtime. Yes, it’s a brand new coaster and teething issues are expected, but this, by and large, is a standard GCI installation, there’s nothing revolutionary or “world’s first” about it.

Whatever it is, I hope they get it sorted soon.
MakoMania

No fire on Wicker Man again today :(
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]