Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Chris
Admin
Admin

People see it as a free fastrack.
Well if that is how guests see it, and the parks are letting it happen, then it is not being managed properly.
Robert.W

The way I see it is if you're a single rider, you should have to collect a single rider ticket (for free, obviously) before you enter the queue. That then shows that everyone who enters the single rider queue actually understands what single rider really means, meaning that guests would be much less likely to abuse the system, and the ride hosts in a better position to enforce it.

AltonOperator

ChessingtonSam wrote:This is such a ridiculous comment
Firstly, please chill out, everyone's opinion is valid.

Secondly, then surely the correct course of action is train the staff to operate the queue correctly not rip it out. When they were first removed the general consensus was that it was for budget cuts.
Thanks Jack
Justin

It is great to read everyone's views, however, let's bring the discussion back to the Wicker Man :)
ChessingtonSam

AltonOperator wrote:

Secondly, then surely the correct course of action is train the staff to operate the queue correctly not rip it out. When they were first removed the general consensus was that it was for budget cuts.
It just annoys me when everyone gets on Merlin's back for every little thing, and assume it's for budget cuts or something like that.
Anyway, back on topic, this lunch pass thing seems like a good idea but whether it will work or not is a different thing.
Robert.W

ChessingtonSam wrote:
AltonOperator wrote:

It just annoys me when everyone gets on Merlin's back for every little thing, and assume it's for budget cuts or something like that.
Thing is, Merlin could make single rider systems work if they were willing to put more money into them. So yes, it really is about budget cuts.

Justin

Once again, please could we return to the topic.

Thank you,

Justin
Team TTSP
jwewan

Wicker Man down. Disappointed? Yes. Surprised? No.
Dan

jwewan wrote:Wicker Man down. Disappointed? Yes. Surprised? No.
Can’t have been down for long as it has a 90 minute queue ;)
PhNx Survivor

How can you be disappointed but not surprised? :lol

What’s been the average wait time for people when going to ride WM?
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Swarm Chris

PhNx Survivor wrote:How can you be disappointed but not surprised? :lol

What’s been the average wait time for people when going to ride WM?
I had a particularly empty day where my average queue time was < 5 minutes. Spent most of my time walking around the queuing system than actually waiting anywhere. I made really good use of that day :)

Otherwise maybe 40 mins off-peak and many hours peak?
Joel Allen

When we went on 6th and 7th April, we queued about 40-50 minutes both times we went on it. I'd monitored the queue times for it through the last few days and realised the queue died down about 2:30, and after started to rise again. Pretty happy it worked out both times :)
Stan.H

I'd say off-peak it's averaged at around the 35/45 minute mark (but dipping to at least 15 minutes later on in the day) and during peak-weekends, I'd say 100 minutes and then holidays 120 minutes (if you're averaging it at the very least) then it seems more than common the ride will open on a good 150/180 minute queue. 
SilverBullet

first time on the Wicker Man this week and what a ride! Loved it.  It felt so fast.

Queue time was 40 mins and after i'd finished it dropped to 20.

One thing I'd say is that although I'm not too fond of the theming (Fed up of horror) they have really paid attention to it and followed through with it.
Stan.H

I strongly disagree with you about the theme being 'horror'. Yes, the theme is slightly dark, but definitely not horror! It is more of a cult/tribal theme, something Merlin hasn't done before. 
Robert.W

I really hate it when people argue that Wicker Man's theme isn't suitable for younger children. A lot of kids won't understand the story of the ride, so the only thing that concerns them should be the experience itself. And what child doesn't love some fantastic fire and smoke effects (when they work anyway)? I know I loved seeing that sort of thing when I was 6 or 7 years old. I'm not saying the ride isn't scary at all, because that would be boring to children as well, but what I'm saying is the depth of the story takes some understanding, which I think only an adult would be able to do. And that's why I think Wicker Man has a pretty clever theme. The story is the scary / dark part of the ride, and if kids aren't old enough to understand it then that fine, they can just enjoy the ride.

Morgan

I'd personally say it's verges on horror, it's certainly a dark theme and I would say it's too scary for many children under 10. I'd say that the audio plays a big part of this, particulary when entering the building- the deep, bassy tones made me a bit nervous first time round; as a young child I wouldn't have been able to handle this.
Fear is subjective however; some kids would be fine watching The Shining and riding big scary coasters, whilst others could be frightened by Harry Potter and anything remotely dark.
Bert

I'd say the ride has a dark theme but I wouldn't say it has a 'horror' theme. It doesn't have any defining horror tropes.
[Insert Signature Here]
Bexa

Can I ask, this seems like the right place, does anyone know any artists who have done work of the structure of the Wickerman? I did an art project based on the wicker man concept and for my related work I need to do an artist study based on an artist who's drawn similar things so I can show what I've done. Hope this makes sense
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move
Robert.W

Bexa wrote:Can I ask, this seems like the right place, does anyone know any artists who have done work of the structure of the Wickerman? I did an art project based on the wicker man concept and for my related work I need to do an artist study based on an artist who's drawn similar things so I can show what I've done. Hope this makes sense
I'd suggest this guy. He did some of the main promotional pieces for Wicker Man. Hope that helps :)