Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Robert.W

Okay. Topic changer here. I've heard from members of another forum that much of the smoke / mist effects around the rides tunnels haven't been working properly recently, meaning in the pre-lift hill tunnel, you can see the concrete walls and lighting, and not as much mist in the other tunnels around the ride, lessening the overall experience. :(

Also, on some occasions the I've heard pre-show has been skipped entirely, although I haven't heard any reason for this happening, although I'm guessing technical faults??

Dan

Robert.W wrote:Okay. Topic changer here. I've heard from members of another forum that much of the smoke / mist effects around the rides tunnels haven't been working properly recently, meaning in the pre-lift hill tunnel, you can see the concrete walls and lighting, and not as much mist in the other tunnels around the ride, lessening the overall experience. :(

Also, on some occasions the I've heard pre-show has been skipped entirely, although I haven't heard any reason for this happening, although I'm guessing technical faults??
When I visited last week, there were no issues with any of the smoke/mist effects anywhere around the ride, or with the pre-show. The only issues I witnessed were the intermittent flame effects.

That being said, I was on the first train on both days I visited and the pre-lift section wasn’t as misty as it was later in the day so maybe it hadn’t been switched on long? I imagine wind direction may be a factor too, as it would blow the mist around the ride area rather than allowing it to linger in the area it is designed to.
Robert.W

Yeah, it'd make sense for the mist not to be as thick earlier in the day. Fingers crossed that whatever was happening with the pre-show is now sorted out.

And those flames... what's actually happening with them? Annoying that they are already broken in the first few months of operation, and despite efforts to fix them, they're still not working!

DeadJack5

I'll be on site a week today with my last visit being the 22nd. The mist has been hit and miss from when I've rode it, sometimes really effective and other times not enough. Like Dan said, wind direction will be a factor affecting this.

How has Wicker Man been doing in regards to opening on time recently? I checked and it wasn't until 11 when the ride opened today whilst other times it has opened in time for ERT.

In regards to the flames, I'm not sure what is happening exactly but I did see an image of a van with the company that has worked with the flames on the structure (I can't remember the company name) turning into Alton Towers today so hopefully it is being looked into.
Dungeon-X-Smile

When I visited Monday, I think some of the fog effects weren't working, but I'm not sure if I just me not understanding the ride. 
Spoiler
We had so few fog machines go off in the final corridor, but I don't know if that's how it's supposed to be?
Vladimir Bobinski

Robert.W wrote:Okay. Topic changer here. I've heard from members of another forum that much of the smoke / mist effects around the rides tunnels haven't been working properly recently, meaning in the pre-lift hill tunnel, you can see the concrete walls and lighting, and not as much mist in the other tunnels around the ride, lessening the overall experience. :(

I had my first ride today, initial view, very competent additional to the line up, very deceiving on it's pace from an off ride view.  It's a very well thought out ride, even just the simple use of gravity to get the train out he station and going.  Impressed with the pre-show, it was nearly Eftling Quality.

Had I not have read this, I wouldn't have known any better, I can't say it took away from the experiance, but yes I could see all of the concrete walls underneath the station and of the walls of the sound tunnels.  No idea why the main fire shoulder effect was not in use all day either.  They took until after 11AM to get the ride going this morning, I was there at 9:40 ERT, gave up at 10:30 when gathering it was still in the hands of tech services, came back later in the day.
Robert.W

Yeah, to be fair you probably wouldn't notice wether there was supposed to be a lot of smoke in the tunnels around the ride if you didn't know it was supposed to be there, but when you already know, it really does make quite a difference in the ride experience, I think.

I look at the smoke / mist effects more as an enhancement of the ride experience, so when they're not being used to their maximum potential, its just a bit of a shame. Obviously, things like the wind and the amount of time that the smoke effects have been running for may affect how much smoke is lingering around, but the wind isn't something I'd expect to have much influence over how much smoke is actually inside of the tunnels to be honest.

Robert.W

jackf1tz wrote:
Robert.W wrote:So what, we've got Seabrook, Peperami and Pringles all promoting Wicker Man!?! Wow! :lol
There's also Kellogg's, Carex and I've seen a few on Cadbury products!  :lol
To add to this, I've just seen that Goodfellas pizza are promoting Wicker Man as well! :lol

Joel Allen

Robert.W wrote:
jackf1tz wrote:
Robert.W wrote:So what, we've got Seabrook, Peperami and Pringles all promoting Wicker Man!?! Wow! :lol
There's also Kellogg's, Carex and I've seen a few on Cadbury products!  :lol
To add to this, I've just seen that Goodfellas pizza are promoting Wicker Man as well! :lol
Yes! I saw that in my local supermarket yesterday.
demz_4

Heard in person today, the lad at the entrance to Wicker Man’s queue line confirmed that the fire effects have been fixed, work properly but are turned off!! Hinting that busy weekends looking likely to be only time the fire is in use! Absolute joke if that is the full truth :( we’re not even a season in and Merlin have seen the gas bill and put the brakes on!
Tom170499

I don’t get it, the main feature of the ride is the fire. It’s like removing an inversion from The Smiler and still saying it’s a 14 looping rollercoaster.

I said this would happen, it would only be so long before the cost cuts start. Typical Merlin. I just didn’t expect it to be only two months in.
demz_4

Completely agree Tom!

I’ve never understood any of the comments on here implying that the flames being off doesn't make the experience much worse. I look up at the structure as I approach it each and every time, expecting flames and nothing happens. It’s the whole themes centre piece. I absolutely love the flame effect and think it really is the highlight of the visual experience. How can we feed the flames when there ain’t none haha
Dan

If that is accurate information, I’ll be highly disappointed, but not surprised.

I know Thorpe Park only operate the fire effect on The Swarm when the park is expected to have a certain number of guests in the park, so it seems that Alton have adopted this system on Wicker Man too.

I honestly thought that they would keep all the effects on for the first year, and then start slowly cutting them back.

Obviously, in an ideal world we wouldn’t even be talking about effects being switched off to save money, but it’s unfortunately the kind of thing we have to live with while Merlin are at the helm.
Jack

I doubt they'd spend the amount they have on the fire effects (to even install them the way they have) and then turn them off without good reason. I expect there is an issue with the fire that is caused indirectly which has made it difficult to make it work without causing the ride to break down in the worst case. Sounds 'out there', but I really don't think it's as simple as is being made out here.
Robert.W

They've been replying on Twitter that the "Beornen are preparing for the summer solstice and the fire will be lit soon"... that could be interpreted in any number of ways, but if it was broken, wouldn't they say something along the lines of "our teams are doing everything they can to make this available as soon as possible"...?

Mikw

Robert.W wrote:They've been replying on Twitter that the "Beornen are preparing for the summer solstice and the fire will be lit soon"... that could be interpreted in any number of ways, but if it was broken, wouldn't they say something along the lines of "our teams are doing everything they can to make this available as soon as possible"...?
I'd guess that means it'll be turned for just before the summer holidays, when the park is busy.
Justin

I'd be disappointed if it was true. Then again, as Dan pointed out the other week, if the effects were being manually operated then there may be more to it? Regardless, it is a great ride :)
Jack

Everyone always has to assume the worst of Merlin, don't they? :lol

They aren't just going to turn off the selling point of their brand new ride that has been incredibly successful and has expensive effects set up just because it's not busy enough guys, I know Merlin aren't seen in the best of light but they'd either A) Say something about it, or B) Have a legitimate reason for it to be turned off.

I know this is my second post saying the same thing, but I'm aware that this is what people are believing with no solid proof either way which really isn't fair on the park in my opinion. Wait for official word, or wait for the peak season. Until then the discussion is based on blame and the fact it's just off right now :)
Robert.W

Well, the flames are currently not working. Wether that is because they are genuinely broken, or have some sort of problem etc., or given Merlin's track record, they might be turned off to save on some money. Judging by their track record, I would not put it past them to have them turned off... and I am fully aware that for some time they were genuinely having problems with the effects. But those issues did eventually get resolved, and now with their social media telling guests that the fire effects will operate at a given date... all sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Swarm Chris

When I was there on a super off-peak week day the flames that worked were running. But each morning tech services seemed to eye then with suspicion and I believe there's a control box or sensor box near them which they spent a fair while each morning at.

Whilst I do expect them to be turned off during off-peak days, I'd expect that more in the following seasons.

As a side note, we got some flames for a few hours at Thorpe this weekend and it was quiet enough for Walking Dead walk-ons. In April they even had the fire effect attempting to work on days where they physically couldn't get the fire lit, so were just pumping gas out onto Swarm island. :lol