Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Aidan Lowe

I'm sorry but this is a step backward, why have CGI flames? I'm pretty sure they are not the real thing as we've all seen the real footage.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
PhNx Survivor

What I want to know is.. why are they using CGI flames on that video and not the real deal..

EDIT: Whoops, beat me to it :lol
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Phild94

Aidan Lowe wrote:I'm sorry but this is a step backward, why have CGI flames? I'm pretty sure they are not the real thing as we've all seen the real footage.
It’s likely due to the fact that the real effects aren’t intended for prolonged flame effects, but short blasts.

Also was it just me or did the first statue in that clip look a lot like the 8ft one we saw in the construction area!
Dan

Phild94 wrote:
Also was it just me or did the first statue in that clip look a lot like the 8ft one we saw in the construction area!
I was thinking that. It does look slightly different from the actual structure so I was wondering if they used the miniature one.
Justin

Am I the only one who is a little disappointed that they have set the Wicker Man story back in time? I thought their story was one of being outcasts as such, rebelling against technology etc. I'd prefer it if they were part of today's world, although it is not a big deal.

I really can't wait till this weekend. It is going to be epic!
Dan

Justin wrote:Am I the only one who is a little disappointed that they have set the Wicker Man story back in time? I thought their story was being outcasts as such, rebelling against technology etc. I'd prefer it if they were part of today's world, although it is not a big deal.

I’m not sure they have.

I think what they’re trying to convey in the video is that the Beornen have been worshipping the Wicker Man for a thousand years, such is their belief and faith in their way of life. The rebelling against technology may stem from the fact that they are still living like they were in 1018.
TheBeornen

I think it's to show that it is an ancient tradition that they have done since then rather than taking us back in time.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Justin

Dan wrote:
Justin wrote:Am I the only one who is a little disappointed that they have set the Wicker Man story back in time? I thought their story was being outcasts as such, rebelling against technology etc. I'd prefer it if they were part of today's world, although it is not a big deal.

I’m not sure they have.

I think what they’re trying to convey in the video is that the Beornen have been worshipping the Wicker Man for a thousand years, such is their belief and faith in their way of life. The rebelling against technology may stem from the fact that they are still living like they were in 1018.
Logical. That addresses my issue :lol
air_head

Not sure if anyone has seen this, but the Sun somehow seem to have got a forward facing POV and uploaded it to YouTube...
Spoiler
[youtube]nNNpGMc9zr0[/youtube]
Last edited by Dan on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spoiler tags added
Froboi

The POV looks amazing. I'm well excited
Dan

Would you like to be featured on TV? Channel 4 have been documenting the construction of Wicker Man, and have reached out to TowersTimes members for a chance to be involved. Full details are below:
For the last few months, Channel 4 have been filming behind the scenes at Alton Towers, covering the building of the new Wicker Man ride.

As part of our film, we are interested in seeing your own personal videos or photos of your journey to Alton Towers on opening weekend to ride Wicker Man. We would love to hear from as many people as possible.
For more information on how to get involved, please email - euan.duncan@filmsofrecord.com

PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FILM ON ANY OF THE RIDES, WE WILL NOT USE YOUR FOOTAGE IF YOU DO.
TheDuke

Dan wrote:Would you like to be featured on TV? Channel 4 have been documenting the construction of Wicker Man, and have reached out to TowersTimes members for a chance to be involved. Full details are below:
For the last few months, Channel 4 have been filming behind the scenes at Alton Towers, covering the building of the new Wicker Man ride.

As part of our film, we are interested in seeing your own personal videos or photos of your journey to Alton Towers on opening weekend to ride Wicker Man. We would love to hear from as many people as possible.
For more information on how to get involved, please email - euan.duncan@filmsofrecord.com

PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FILM ON ANY OF THE RIDES, WE WILL NOT USE YOUR FOOTAGE IF YOU DO.
We haven't had a proper towers documentary in years can't wait to see it.
Justin

As posted in the offers and vouchers thread, The Sun Superdays website contains a brand new version of the Wicker Man promotional image with all the other rides mixed in. It would be good to see the park map cover in a similar style as this looks epic!

TheBeornen

That's a really cool looking poster

Be Chosen...
Phild94

So when are we expecting the full TV advert?

Surely it should be airing any day now?
Robert.W

My guess is that the advert will air either on Friday night, or Saturday night. Having said that, they could leave it till much later to increase visitor numbers during the Easter holidays.

TheBeornen

I hope they release the trailer on friday night, to build hype for us who have been following the construction but it would also grab the attention of the GP if it says something like "open now" or "opening tomorrow".

Be Chosen...
matt_1985x

Is the fog round the track fog from a fog machine or water vapor?

In any case everything looks great. Glad you guys finally got the woodie you've been wishing for for ages.
Robert.W

matt_1985x wrote:Is the fog round the track fog from a fog machine or water vapor?

In any case everything looks great. Glad you guys finally got the woodie you've been wishing for for ages.
I've heard from people who went to the "Meet the Makers" event that they use both types, just in different areas of the ride. :)

matt_1985x

Oh right, cool. Thanks!