Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
jwewan

Theme Park Worldwide have a review out on their YouTube channel
Chris
Admin
Admin

Talking of YouTube..

We have uploaded the off-ride footage first published on our Facebook page yesterday in full HD goodness. Enjoy!

[youtube]MbnuFDvLG-Q[/youtube]
Kraken

It all looks very impressive.  The only concern I have is all that plain wood in the queueline fences & those fake rocks being a magnet for graffiti the nanosecond the ride suffers from downtime & the queue stops moving.  I know Towers can't win here, as if they paint the fences black it takes time / money & a lot of paint... and the vandals will just scratch their names into the black paint.  
Ladyofthelake

simononestop wrote:did Katie on the video get to ride it? pre show?
I can confirm I definitely did ride it, more than once yesterday, including experiencing the pre-show (which I've been asked not to disclose the contents of by the Resort). As Lewis mentioned, all those attending yesterday got the chance to ride and everyone agreed that it is a fantastic addition to the Resort's line-up and an incredibly well executed attraction. I'll post a more detailed review later on, but there will be further coverage from TowersTimes in the coming days.
vandark

Wonder if the pre-show is on ride?
Also.. the Shed! Does it really contain nothing?
Robert.W

vandark wrote:Wonder if the pre-show is on ride?
Also.. the Shed!  Does it really contain nothing?
I believe the pre show is in the building just before the station, the one with the pointed roof... I don't think that describes it that well haha :)

Added picture. The Orange square is where I suspect the pre show takes place (In the building on top of that concrete tunnel shown in the picture below).

PhNx Survivor

It’s quite harsh to think we are in the presence of people who have been on the ride, but can’t say anything.. as much as we all want to know what happens, I bet it’s even harder to keep it all a secret when people will be guessing what happens, and only the Admins know if it’s true or false :lol
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Ladyofthelake

PhNx Survivor wrote:It’s quite harsh to think we are in the presence of people who have been on the ride, but can’t say anything.. as much as we all want to know what happens, I bet it’s even harder to keep it all a secret when people will be guessing what happens, and only the Admins know if it’s true or false :lol
Believe me, I want to say so much about this ride - it's almost torture not being able to share everything with you all. There will be a comprehensive article being published on TT News soon which will include as much as we are allowed to say :)
PhNx Survivor

Ladyofthelake wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:It’s quite harsh to think we are in the presence of people who have been on the ride, but can’t say anything.. as much as we all want to know what happens, I bet it’s even harder to keep it all a secret when people will be guessing what happens, and only the Admins know if it’s true or false :lol
Believe me, I want to say so much about this ride - it's almost torture not being able to share everything with you all. There will be a comprehensive article being published on TT News soon which will include as much as we are allowed to say :)
I’m sure the article, and most importantly the ride will deliver on being a fantastic addition.. opening day can’t come sooner! :)
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
thekitkatshuffler

Ladyofthelake wrote:If you are referring to the metal bar then I can confirm that is due to be painted before 17th March :)
I was.  Sorry, I should've been more specific.  Good to hear it's getting painted, so thanks for that.    :o)

It would've been a shame to have all that high quality theming be punctuated by a raw metal girder.
Ladyofthelake

TowersTimes News now has a full review of yesterday's Wicker Man 'Meet the Maker' event, including a review of the ride itself and and summary of the Q&A with Bradley Wynne, Neil Walker, and Francis Jackson!
Robert.W

It's so good to see that even though they've achieved the intended effect with the maintenance shed then they're even considering putting in additional effects! :)

lewis97
Admin
Admin

Steve DeLaMare, the artist who created a 1:60 scale maquette of the Wicker Man structure to aid the creative team, has posted a montage of photos of the model on Facebook.

Dan

That’s stunning!

I really hope they have a miniature Wicker Man model available to buy from the shop, as that will be a definite purchase.
ThemeCrafter264

I would love to get my own mini Big Bob :D
Chris
Admin
Admin

Would be nice to see it in the shop permanently.
Nickolai

It seems pictures will not do this ride justice if that is the size of a person on the model!
Formally Smiler313
Stan.H

I hope they sell a miniature wicker man in the shop in two forms, 1, just the wicker man (like Dan said) and 2, incorporated into the ride resin as well. If Towers do the products in the shop well I think the shop will be a goldmine with both, enthusiasts and the GP.
Yappo

I had a dream about opening day last night. Towards the end of the day as the sun was setting, they'd actually built a second wicker man out the front of the park and properly burned it down to celebrate the ride's opening, and it looked absolutely spectacular against the sunset. How cool would it be if they actually did that? Come to think of it, that'd be a great idea for this year's fireworks. I mean, two years ago the display was all themed around Galactica which opened that year, so a display themed around Wicker Man wouldn't be unexpected, and an actual burning wicker man would be an obvious element to include!
Created with my unofficial Beornen runes font, available here.
ewoodier82

A week until opening day and still no TV ad, is that normal? Now that we know the opening date I would have thought we would have seen something by now, as I can't really think why we haven't got one yet.