Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Justin

I know riding Wicker Man in the dark is going to be one of my highlights for sure. I'm pleased that I have some time both at Scarefest and Fireworks to get on the ride as many times as I can. I really can't wait!
DeadJack5

Not a great start for Wicker Man today. This is the first time I've seen a breakdown whilst on the lift hill(I know these were common in it's opening weeks). Currently still sat at the top of the lift but was lower down before a ride on the rapids.

Hopefully it can get up and running later as the queues are increasing rapidly due to this and Galatica being unavailable

EDIT:

The ride has now re-opened again. Mainly posted to show what the ride looks like during a lift Hill breakdown :lol
Sawboss

Don't use the word breakdown, a Mirror 'reporter' might be around! :P
AltonOperator

HUNDREDS OF RIDERS WERE TRAPPED 120FT IN THE AIR IN DANGEROUS ALTON TOWERS ACCIDENT ON THE NEW WICKERMAN

I hate how this isn't too much of an overexaggeration
Thanks Jack
RideOpMatt

This “breakdown” plus all the speculation about the lift hill chain looking like it was jumping slightly because of the tensioners a while back is a journalists heaven.
nicky.borrill

Justin wrote:I know riding Wicker Man in the dark is going to be one of my highlights for sure. I'm pleased that I have some time both at Scarefest and Fireworks to get on the ride as many times as I can. I really can't wait!
It’s so good our group have all said we’re making it the last ride both when we return for Scarefest again on Mon 22nd and on the 4th Nov for fireworks... Might even squeeze in another visit JUST for Wicker Man in the dark!!!! It really is that good.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention a shout out to the ride op batching on Wicker Man on Saturday evening. He saw my ICON merch and asked what I though of Icon, I was honest and told him it was my favourite. He said “Right, I’m putting you on the back row, in the dark, if you still prefer ICON then you’re mad!” or something along those lines. Top lad, had faith in his ride, and proved his point well!  
Last edited by Dan on Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rita88

Has anyone got an actual definitive version of the Wicker Man runic alphabet?

I am aware of the one already on here but at least one of the letters on that are incorrect if you match up to some that have been proven by Alton Towers. 

I may have also found the correct symbol for the letter “J” if my theory is correct.  All you need to get at least 3 letters are the playing cards for Wicker Man as they use the symbols on the face of the cards for Jack, Queen and King.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Rita88 wrote:Has anyone got an actual definitive version of the Wicker Man runic alphabet?
The table on our SW8 minisite should provide a pretty definitive version. It did appear that two different symbols were used interchangeably for the letter 'I', but the one we list on the minisite is the one that features on the "Rosetta stone".

matt_1985x

Finally rode this the other day. Very pleased with it. All the wood creates a good atmosphere. Everything, the theming, pre-show the station and the ride - all good. :)
It was a lot more aggressive than I thought it would be and It shows what can be done when all parties are firing on all creative cylinders.

My only concern is the fog in the station. It's okay for guests to breathe it as they're only there for little while but is it okay for staff to be breathing that all day?
Bert

I thought the smoke effects were water vapour? If so the most dangerous thing you could inhale would be a bit of water.
[Insert Signature Here]
Nickolai

Some sections are from fog machines as they have a very distinctive smell.
Formally Smiler313
Bert

Ohh that smell, I stunk of the fog machines for ages.
[Insert Signature Here]
Justin

I love the smell of the smoke tunnels.

I think the same fog is used in the station too, but they are in a well ventilated area, so the staff should be fine. It won't be water vapour as that would make the station wet, however it is used in Big Bob.
nicky.borrill

If it’s not ok, I better stop vaping  :lol
Evostance

Whatever it is, they were really pumping it out on the 31st.  Got a sore throat from just being in the queue!

This was taken at the clearest point I could find

altontowerskid

Hi guys, got my first couple of rides in on Wickerman over the past two days, one at opening on Thurs 1st and another late yesterday (Fri 2nd), just a couple of questions...

Firstly, it was evident just how much faster it felt on the late ride, after it had been going all day - what are the physics behind this or am I just imagining it?

Secondly, the batching staff really don't like you asking for the back row, even if you're willing to let people go ahead. Are the staff meant to be in an act of being rude and abrupt or was the staff member just being plain rude? She spoke to a few people in a very rude tone but I thought it could almost have been forced, as in being "in act of sacrificing us to the Wickerman" 

Overall though, I'm so impressed with what they have done with Wickerman and I would say it's just tipped Nemesis as my favourite at AT, which has remained unchanged for 15 years.
Tom170499

I’ve noticed that the member of staff on batching always seems to be rude. Whether in character or not, there’s no need for it. To be honest, I don’t see the point if batching anyway, many parks around the world manage without it just fine. It’s just a waste of money to have a staff member there. 
nicky.borrill

The lad that does the batching sometimes is great, and will happily let you wait for a particular seat, provided you’re happy to wait.
AltonOperator

We just happened to be given the back row then he tried to move us to the front and we said we kinda wanted the back and he was very cool about it he just said yeah that's absolutely fine and left it at that.
Thanks Jack
nicky.borrill

AltonOperator wrote:We just happened to be given the back row then he tried to move us to the front and we said we kinda wanted the back and he was very cool about it he just said yeah that's absolutely fine and left it at that.
I just read about that on your review... It reminded me of the inbetweeners  :lol
To be fair, if it was important he only had to explain the reasoning and I’m guessing you’d have obliged...