Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Bexa

Went on it today and can confirm their was smoke in the station, and both shoulder flames were on
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move
PhNx Survivor

Holy hell that looks so cool! Will definitely have to go back for Scarefest!

I’m eagerly awaiting to see Wicker Man with all the red lighting and actors walking around, should be a brilliant year!
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Justin

Get yourself to Scaremazing! :)

I am really looking forward to experiencing Scarefest this year, and in particular, experiencing more night rides. It should be really good; Wicker will look amazing. I did see it through the fence the night before opening and even that was impressive!
Ismail

Wicker Man at night :love
I can't wait!!!
Stan.H

Has the resort confirmed that the Wicker Man actors will be surrounding the area, or is that purely speculation? Nevertheless, I'm VERY excited to ride Wicker Man in the dark - however, I'm sure the queues will be more scary than the ride  :lol
Dan

Stan.H wrote:Has the resort confirmed that the Wicker Man actors will be surrounding the area, or is that purely speculation? Nevertheless, I'm VERY excited to ride Wicker Man in the dark - however, I'm sure the queues will be more scary than the ride  :lol
At this stage it’s speculation, however, there were wraiths around Thirteen during Scarefest in 2010, so it may be that there are a few actors around the Wicker Man plaza this year.

With The Welcoming: Be Chosen being situated next door to the ride, it is plausible that the maze will be allocated some extra actors to try and blend the atmosphere between the maze and the ride.
Morgan

It's a great idea but I'm unsure if it'll happen. It seems that Towers struggle to hire actors so they'll be focussed on using them in the mazes.
Justin

Dan wrote:Speaking of effects, it seems the smoke effect in the station is finally working as it was originally intended, as shown in this picture taken by Thrill Nation on Thursday.

Only saw it like this at the beginning of the season. How epic will it look at Scarefest!!!
Adz
Admin
Admin

The smoke shouldn't be behaving like that. It's not supposed to leave the wicker wall on the other side of the station. 

I would surmise this is why you don't see the effect on very often. 
Nickolai

I think it looks quite effective how it is in my opinion.
Formally Smiler313
black_rose2186

Station smoke wasn’t on on the 13th September, shame, it looks so effective! Mist through the structure was working well though, quite a soaker in the front row!
ATI

According to GCI's website, Wicker Man actually has a track length of 2,609ft:-

https://www.greatcoasters.com/?p=wickerman

In disbelief, I used the path tool on Google Earth to see how long the rides layout is, and I got around 2,400ft (excluding elevation). So if you include elevation, this statistic actually makes a lot of sense. I always thought 2,028ft of track was too short. I assume this statistic means from station to brakes or top of lift hill to brakes, as that would make a lot more sense and make everything I have just said true.
We were born to fly...
Morgan

Rode it last night and wow, it's even more fun in the dark. We managed to get put near the back and the thing was abosutely hauling through the course- probably the fastest I've seen it.

Dan

How awesome does it look in the dark? :love

Can’t wait to see it for myself next week.
Swarm Chris

It does look amazing!

Wish they had done evening rides for it earlier on in the year. Make it a hotel only ERT and they wouldn't have had problems selling rooms in April/May.
RideOpMatt

Rode WM last night, first time riding it late on, and it was one of the best rollercoaster experiences I've ever had. It's ridiculous how much a full days operation has on the speed!  Definitely should offer late night rides on more occasions. 
ROYJESS

Dan wrote:How awesome does it look in the dark? :love

Can’t wait to see it for myself next week.
It looks absolutely amazing in the dark, looks like real fire, and you can see the flames too when riding it in the dark, looks like you are going through real fire.
CoasterWorld

Is there real fire on this ride?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

CoasterWorld wrote:Is there real fire on this ride?
Yes, on the shoulders of the Wicker Man itself.

nicky.borrill

WOW Wickerman just stole 2018 right at the post for me. I’ve loved both of the UK’s new additions this year, have ridden Wicker Man around 35 times. But ICON just edges it as the better rollercoaster for me. However, and it’s a massive HOWEVER. Tonight Wicker Man gave me the best ride experience of any ride, old and new, that I’ve had for a few years. It’s incredible in the dark, after a full day’s operation, and especially on the back seat. It absoloutely flys around the track, offers air time in places where previously there was none, the low light dissorientation and brilliant theme lighting just cap it off perfectly.

If you haven’t ridden it in the dark, late on yet... You must, ASAP!!!!