Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
wamdue

This pre show hut, is it not going to be total hell in this heat? You stand around in the queue, very hot, maybe over heated.

Then ok maybe it's slightly cooler in there, but you are still hot, and you are all crammed together? Just thinking about it is very off putting.
Swarm Chris

wamdue wrote:This pre show hut, is it not going to be total hell in this heat? You stand around in the queue, very hot, maybe over heated.

Then ok maybe it's slightly cooler in there, but you are still hot, and you are all crammed together? Just thinking about it is very off putting.
I didn't actually notice the temperature in there as being particularly hot. The line leading into bag drop is probably the hottest point in the queue, so getting inside felt quite cool in comparison.
wamdue

Swarm Chris wrote:
wamdue wrote:This pre show hut, is it not going to be total hell in this heat? You stand around in the queue, very hot, maybe over heated.

I didn't actually notice the temperature in there as being particularly hot. The line leading into bag drop is probably the hottest point in the queue, so getting inside felt quite cool in comparison.
Thanks, I'm not someone who does well in the heat, and right now I'm suffering, so maybe I'm seeing hot spots that dont exist.
Swarm Chris

wamdue wrote:
Swarm Chris wrote:

Then ok, maybe it's slightly cooler in there, but you are still hot, and you are all crammed together? Just thinking about it is very off putting.
Thanks, I'm not someone who does well in the heat, and right now I'm suffering, so maybe I'm seeing hot spots that dont exist.
No problem, have a similar issue with the heat! Just make sure to have water before entering the queue, as parts of it can be fairly toasty. But the trains do at least provide an occasional breeze.
PhNx Survivor

The temperature in the pre-show area is actually surprising cool, but as Chris has stated, the stretch of queue just before the baggage area is the hottest part, so your body will naturally adjust to that heat and feel cooler when going inside.. the shop is usually open so ice cream and drinks are a recommendation.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Dan

Feed The Flames!

Filmed at TowersTimes’ Summer Festival, in conjunction with Alton Towers, we bring you an exclusive POV of Wicker Man. Join the chosen ones as The Beornen invite you to join them in their secretive world and participate in their ritual.
The Front Seat POV begins at 01:36. The Back Seat POV begins at 03:53.
AltonOperator

Shame the fog happened to be off in the first sound tunnel for the video. It does a good job of concealing the non-diegetic electrical boxes. Brilliant video though nice one!
Last edited by AltonOperator on Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks Jack
Chris
Admin
Admin

Both the fog in the pre-lift section, and steam in the Wicker Man structure were on for the shooting, as they would be normally.

You may notice that the picture goes a little cloudy after passing through the structure - this was the best version out of three taken. The other two literally had water droplets on the lense.
AltonOperator

Chris wrote:Both the fog in the pre-lift section, and steam in the Wicker Man structure were on for the shooting, as they would be normally.

You may notice that the picture goes a little cloudy after passing through the structure - this was the best version out of three taken. The other two literally had water droplets on the lense.
just updated the post. I meant in the first sound tunnel
Thanks Jack
Chris
Admin
Admin

AltonOperator wrote:
Chris wrote:Both the fog in the pre-lift section, and steam in the Wicker Man structure were on for the shooting, as they would be normally.

just updated the post. I meant in the first sound tunnel
Ah ha, yes! Looks a little bare.
Aidan Lowe

Smiler313 wrote:
Adz wrote:It's not just Wicker Man that has that 'issue' with the chain lift, a fair few GCI's have a strange rocking motion from time to time. I wouldn't think it's anything to be concerned about. 

One thing that was mentioned in the presentation was some slight changes have been made in the last couple of weeks in regards to the way the preshow operates. I can't recall exactly but something to do with the resetting of it and the doors has now been improved. It goes to show they are constantly tweaking the ride to get it up to its optimum operating capacity. 
When I went during school season the preshow was what slowed down the queues, they were struggling to close the doors in synchronization with the show start and finished, which resulted with empty trains going around the circuit. This now makes sense to why the pre show was having issues! :)
When I reached the preshow yesterday everyone was just holding the doors from the baggage hold & into the station then some host came & said I don't know why you all think it's a queue it's not, then fiddling getting ppl in for it to start. Got myself a nice recording of it for my own viewing but unless someone is present on busy days people won't know it's a preshow.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Justin

It still needs tweaking as it is not working. I prefer them batching to be quite honest; however, last Friday, there was a good host who really got into character in the preshow and gave the audience instructions. It was very much a DBGT/Dungeons style which immersed you further. 
Swarm Chris

Host interaction I found was lacking this weekend (glad you had a better experience on that run through), which is strange seeing as how they're meant to have had a character developed for them.

Other than station batching, I don't recall any of the hosts saying a word, other than "move forwards, fill all the space". A bit poor, especially when compared that to Walking Dead, where the staff are in character nearly every ride at batching, pre-show and station. I even had one run where bag check were in character.
Steff15

There’s supposed to be host interaction? I’ve ridden 9 times in 4 weeks over 4 visits. I didn’t know there was supposed to be any host interaction.

The pre show is great, but the automatic doors aren’t working so whoever is at the front is shouted at to open the door until they hear, which can take a while but this is better than the door opening before the preshow finishes which I’ve had happen a couple of times.

I don’t use the baggage drop so I can’t comment but the guys at the photos are just always so warm and friendly.

No character from the team member (is there a AT version of Disney’s cast member or are they just staff/team?) that lets us from the RAP line into the main line, nor from the person telling us which “pen” to go into. Just a number almost yelled at us to go stand in.

Did not realise once that it was supposed to be more character led.
Justin

They have apparently been trained to be descendents of the Beornen. This was the first time I saw any interaction. It would be nice to see this worked upon!
jamietee

Justin wrote:They have apparently been trained to be descendents of the Beornen. This was the first time I saw any interaction. It would be nice to see this worked upon!
Descendents of the Beornen?  I think not.  When we were last there the ride stopped and one of the team had to go to the top of the lift tower to reset - meanwhile two female hosts in the station were having a very loud conversation with each-other, and I quote, "I'm not paid enough to do that, no way in hell would you get me up there!"
Hosts != Cast Members.
Jamie
Swarm Chris

jamietee wrote: Descendents of the Beornen?  I think not.  When we were last there the ride stopped and one of the team had to go to the top of the lift tower to reset - meanwhile two female hosts in the station were having a very loud conversation with each-other, and I quote, "I'm not paid enough to do that, no way in hell would you get me up there!"
Hosts != Cast Members.
Jamie
Of all the rides to be upset about having to go up the lift hill! I can hear Oblivion operators laughing in the background. :lol

Also hello :wave:
Jack

jamietee wrote:
Justin wrote:They have apparently been trained to be descendents of the Beornen. This was the first time I saw any interaction. It would be nice to see this worked upon!
Descendents of the Beornen?  I think not.  When we were last there the ride stopped and one of the team had to go to the top of the lift tower to reset - meanwhile two female hosts in the station were having a very loud conversation with each-other, and I quote, "I'm not paid enough to do that, no way in hell would you get me up there!"
Hosts != Cast Members.
Jamie

Friendly reminder that the staff are people and are allowed to have conversations with each other, even if you don't like what they've said, they've not said anything insane, it's literally just saying they don't like the heights to their friend.
Robert.W

Jack wrote:
jamietee wrote:
Hosts != Cast Members.
Jamie

Friendly reminder that the staff are people and are allowed to have conversations with each other, even if you don't like what they've said, they've not said anything insane, it's literally just saying they don't like the heights to their friend.
I think Jamie's comment was referring to the fact that the ride's staff have supposedly been trained to act like descendants of the Beornen. And in that case, what was said is completely valid. Would you expect to hear the staff talking about their pay and / or fear of heights whilst they are supposed to be portraying a specific character? 

lewis97
Admin
Admin

While the staff working on Wicker Man were given guidance on how they could present themselves as Beornen, in terms of the way they behave and speak, I don’t believe they’re expected to remain in a certain character for the whole duration that they’re working on the ride, as ultimately they’re not in an actor role.