Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
scottpowell123

Hi all, new poster here.

I have a quick question regarding larger guests.

I'm pretty stout guy and I queued for around 180 min on Wicker Mans opening day to be told to leave the ride due to the restraints not closing for me. Has this issue been resolved or is it still the same for larger guests? (I fit on every other ride in the park fine)

I'm going Sunday so won't bother queuing if it's the same (It's not worth the embarrassment haha)

Thanks all
Dan

scottpowell123 wrote:Hi all, new poster here.

I'm pretty stout guy and I queued for around 180 min on Wicker Mans opening day to be told to leave the ride due to the restraints not closing for me. Has this issue been resolved or is it still the same for larger guests? (I fit on every other ride in the park fine)

I'm going Sunday so won't bother queuing if it's the same (It's not worth the embarrassment haha)

Thanks all
Hi Scott, welcome to the forum :)

Unfortunately there are still occasional issues with the restraints on Wicker Man. I visited earlier this week and on one of my rides, a guest sat in the row behind me couldn’t ride because his restraint wouldn’t register as being locked. I could be mistaken, but I believe the ride system isn’t happy if a restraint is locked to anything less than 3 clicks.

A test seat at the entrance would really help avoid the issue of people queuing to then find they’re unable to ride.
scottpowell123

Dan wrote:
scottpowell123 wrote:Hi all, new poster here.

Thanks all
Hi Scott, welcome to the forum :)

Unfortunately there are still occasional issues with the restraints on Wicker Man. I visited earlier this week and on one of my rides, a guest sat in the row behind me couldn’t ride because his restraint wouldn’t register as being locked. I could be mistaken, but I believe the ride system isn’t happy if a restraint is locked to anything less than 3 clicks.

A test seat at the entrance would really help avoid the issue of people queuing to then find they’re unable to ride.
Thanks for the reply.

I probably won't risk it then although I will ask the staff when I'm there. The joys of being a bit tubby aye  :lol
Robert.W

Holovis have just released this behind the scenes video showing how they created the pre-show for Wicker Man! :)

[youtube]JqiIN2Z1fE4[/youtube]

Jack

Very nice to hear Pete Cliff still being heavily involved in Alton Towers, he can't seem to escape :lol
PhNx Survivor

They should make a projection for the maintenance shed.. the art style they used for the pre-show is gorgeous, could have quite a spectacular ending to the ride.. enhancing the experience further.. then that cheeky little scare with the triggered effects.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Dungeon-X-Smile

PhNx Survivor wrote:They should make a projection for the maintenance shed.. the art style they used for the pre-show is gorgeous, could have quite a spectacular ending to the ride.. enhancing the experience further.. then that cheeky little scare with the triggered effects.
I think the art style is by far the best thing about Wicker Man, and agree with you 100% that a projection on the shed would look awesome. The ending now, although pretty good, could be made so much better with this. I think it would be awesome if something projection mapped followed the cart into the dark maintenance shed. But, also I think my bias is showing because personally I'd adore anything that meant more of that incredible art style. I think there should have been some merchandise or something else that continued using that style. Never have I wanted a book about the art of a ride as I have wanted one for Wicker Man. 
Robert.W

Scruffy Dog shared this – a comparison of the concept art and the end result!

Sawboss

One thing I want to point out about Wicker Man is how effective the head choppers through the structure itself are. I'm usually not susceptible to them, but something about these actually made my brain go 'Woah, watch out!' and automatically pulled my hands down. It really feels like your going so close you could touch the roof to me.
Capt.Barnacles

Okay THIS. There's only ever been one other coaster to make me genuinely question clearance and that was Colossus on the two headchoppers either side of the 'airtime' hill. But Wicker Man set a new level because I'm putting my hands down for the first fly through EVERY TIME.
Justin

Love this advert...

[youtube]cMhwj8swU_0[/youtube]

Animal also takes on The Walking Dead: The Ride!
PhNx Survivor

That advert is brilliant :lol
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Nutty Man

Are they selling the wickerman crisps at AT? And are they selling them at AT only?
Complete credit goes to the bubbleboi
Robert.W

I contacted Alton Towers via social media ages ago about this. They ignored me. Something's telling me they don't sell them onsite though. I also didn't see any in any of the cafes / F&B stands around the park when I visited either.

Nutty Man

I've never seen them in shops like Tesco (although I didn't really think they would sell them there). So where do they sell them?
Complete credit goes to the bubbleboi
Robert.W

I've heard that Asda and Morrisons are selling them, although I don't know exactly whether that is just certain stores or if they are selling them in all of their stores. You can also buy them online on Seabrooks website if you're desperate to get them. 

Dungeon-X-Smile

I've seen Pringles with Wicker Man pics on them at Tesco I think, but they were part of the 2 for 1 special - they also had Thorpe Park's logo on them. 
AltonOperator

saw-x-smile wrote:I've seen Pringles with Wicker Man pics on them at Tesco I think, but they were part of the 2 for 1 special - they also had Thorpe Park's logo on them. 
The lady who sorted out tickets told us there'd be 2 for 1s on pringles. We noticed someone had brought a whole box of cereal for the 2 for 1s and she said it was quite common and they get whole boxes of cereal and soap and stuff quite regularly and that she was hoping people would do it with the upcoming pringles ones :lol

The Seabrooks crisps are available at Asda. The packaging looks great
Thanks Jack
Justin

I took this photo back in March, just before the season started...

Robert.W

So what, we've got Seabrook, Peperami and Pringles all promoting Wicker Man!?! Wow! :lol