Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Dungeon-X-Smile

I don’t think it’s worth risking it. The weather seems too awful in my opinion.

Also....

March 24th (next Saturday) has rain but a wind speed of only 11mph and a high of 9 degrees Celsius. That’s a maybe, right?
Stan.H

In other news, Wicker Man has now been added to Ride Times!
Loakin

ITV news are just saying "halt", doesn't mean it is definite, especially since Towers haven't actually confirmed anything. But as saw-x-smile says, no point in risking it, even if there is no snow, the ride can't operate in those temps. 
PhNx Survivor

All I’m gonna say is that people who intend to be there tomorrow, (me included), should wait till morning of around 6am to 7am. Hopefully, if no snow, Alton can release something of good news perhaps.. either way, i shall hopefully, fingers crossed, see some of you tomorrow!
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
RobHand

So glad I booked my trip for next Monday. It's a real shame that the weather has ruined the official opening day (I was planning to watch highlights from peoples experience on it over the weekend) to build the hype.

I'm praying the weather is good and  that they open it starting Monday if they choose not to open over the weekend, will just have to wait and see. Failing that, I'm there Tuesday too, so hopefully...
Justin

At present, a final decision will be made tomorrow, if not it will soft launch from Monday, with the official opening next Saturday.
8byfire

No spoilers but having seen some pics and videos from the press launch prepare to have your minds blown- especially in the evening (and even in the shop as there is some very tasty, or should that be toasty, merchandise- I suspect there will be a few more awesome surprises not in the pics, and there's even something you can get for the mere pocket money price of £3k, which might actually be true- it's not April 1st yet!) - I think Alton have got everything right for this ride and they did hold some 'wow factor' back for launch day.

Such a shame the weather may scupper it for those going tomorrow which is now today although you may get lucky - guessing that's in the realms of wishful thinking a bit, it might be more snow man than wicker man, but it will look great as the yeti / snow ram version so good for pics even if it does snow! But the weather could of course be better than expected - it is merry England after all.

The vids we've seen so far have been mere teasers, the effects are big! And it seems I might have been right about the designed-in potential for different interpretations of the story...

"A great work, as old as time itself. An enduring figure of devotion and protection passed from generation to generation. Now in his mightiest form. The Wicker Man is ready to rise. But perhaps when it's a bit warmer and it gets its birthday present."

Welcoming the wicker man, awaken
Beornen, burning, be chosen
Whoguru5

I hope its able to open as I'm in a alton hotel room atm I know they said the weather could stop it but I've been on some pretty cold days in October and November so I've still got the tiniest little sleep deprived hope it will be open come 9/10am

Thanks to lewis97 For the signature.
8byfire

See we're so excited we can't sleep (and I'm not even going to Alton yet, my sixth sense must have known about the weather as I changed my plans!)

Interweb says it's 1 degree there at the mo and an expected -2 tomorrow, snow still possible, so the weather may not please the wicker- our wooden friend likes things much hotter!

Welcoming the wicker man, awaken
Beornen, burning, be chosen
PhNx Survivor

I live in Derby.. 30 mins away from Alton.. there is no snow in Derby, it even looks like it might be a sunny/cloudy day.. fingers are crossed!
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Doublethink

Well the forecast has changed: no snow but winds are looking to be a problem gusting up to 50mph most of the day. Tomorrow (Sunday) now looking promising- gusts of 15mph, no snow either
MakoMania

I'm at the Enchanted Village, apart from a few gusts of wind (nothing out of the ordinary, the park could definitely open, just might have to close one or two rides) the weather seems absolutely fine. No snow, no ice, no frost. Nothing at all. It's not even that cold.

It just depends if they have already told all their staff not to turn up.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Whoguru5

It would make me very annoyed if they did because I know I was only informed about possible park closure at past 8pm last night at the hotel but I'm hopeful weather will improve now it's daylight

Thanks to lewis97 For the signature.
Doublethink

Right I think I'm going to try and head over but will try to arrive an hour after opening that way I can divert on route (IKEA shopping day instead ) i out that things are not looking good. See you all in two hours I hope!
ATI

The stats!

I don't get the 952pph capacity fact, because the ride has 3 trains... doesn't it?
We were born to fly...
Phild94

ATI wrote:The stats!

I don't get the 952pph capacity fact, because the ride has 3 trains... doesn't it?
I don’t get it either, if the ride time is 3:30 as suggested this leads to a throughput (using 2 cars as previously confirmed) as 822pph.

(60mins/3.5mins)x(2trains x 24seats)
Vladimir Bobinski

No rides whatsoever today. 

https://twitter.com/altontowers/status/974945628336852992

Despite this clearly being a result of conditions and not the park this time around, trying to ride The Smiler on opening day put me off that idea for Wickerman some time ago, although credit to them for how this project has been managed.
Last edited by Vladimir Bobinski on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
SmileAlways

I’m gonna be honest, I know they want to open Wicker Man on a Saturday, busiest day and majority of the Big 6 opened on Saturdays, but there’s everyone who has already booked tickets and stays for between the 19th and 24th who are now disappointed. I’m one of them. Granted, I’m going on my birthday on Friday and planned that before they’d even announced Wicker Man’s opening date, but having them push it back a whole week just because they couldn’t do the intended Saturday is really frustrating. I get it’s not their fault, they can’t control the weather, but is a Saturday opening really so important? Rita opened on a Friday, so did the Smiler, as long as the ride opens, I don’t see the problem, you know? Then again, that’s just me being frustrated cause I’d love a birthday ride on it. At least I can hope for a soft opening that day, right? I mean, they did it with Nemesis 3 days before, Galactica had a soft opening on my birthday, so there’s hope I guess.
If you hear people singing random songs on a rollercoaster, it's probably me and my best friend #SmileAlways

Instagram (there's bunch of random stuff but a tonne of theme parks): @jess_baker.98
Doublethink

They did say they plan to soft open this week comming and then have the official launch next sat. I have a day off work Tuesday so hope to head down then and get a ride in. Sat in Nottingham at the moment waiting for updates before heading to the Towers.
SmileAlways

Yeah, either way, if it’s not soft opened on Friday, then I’ll be disappointed but at least there’s still my annual trip in September, and hopefully I can get a drive down there sometime before that. Only thing that’s honestly going to bug me at this point is how unnecessarily busy it’s going to be. We’ve been on my birthday before and it’s always been nice and quiet, queues have been pretty much straight ons, hence why we go in September too, but with everyone thinking Wicker Man would be opening today, I imagine that the park will be a heck of a lot busier with all those who have bought tickets especially to ride it. And with that being closed, the hope of queues being super low on other rides while everyone queued on Wicker Man for the morning have shattered.
If you hear people singing random songs on a rollercoaster, it's probably me and my best friend #SmileAlways

Instagram (there's bunch of random stuff but a tonne of theme parks): @jess_baker.98