Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Uttox83

PhNx Survivor wrote:As cool as that simulation is.. we have to remember it is a recreation, and someone's hopes for the ride. (Even though the ride layout is already seeable so why make a different layout I have no idea..).

Where I do hope we will have something like that ending, (not as bright obviously, pitch black..), we also have to consider the possibility that nothing could be in there.. This sort of video does not help with hype, as if you go on expecting something similar then nothing happens, you'll be disappointed with the ride.

Even if the shed has nothing the ride will have a thrill side to it.. unless you don't think going through the structure 3 times for good headchoppers isn't thrilling enough?  :roll:
Personally, I am excited with what we have seen so far. I am happy we finally have a woodie and agree that the head chopper aspect will be great. Plus, we haven't seen the Wicker Man structure's effects in action yet. I think we just like to speculate and is fueled by the lack of reveals from Towers and silence at the moment. Counting down to the opening and I believe it will be a great addition to the park and fantastic as a bridge for younger thrill seekers who are not ready for the more intense rides yet. My nephew has been trying to pluck up the courage to go on Thirteen for the last three seasons. At least it will give me a break from the Mine Train marathon :o)
T0mPr1ce

The Mummy in Universal Studios Florida has a cool mid-course show scene, which has a fire effect on the ceiling. Something like that could work well. Although, what does confuse me, is that (from a storytelling point of view) you pass through the Wickerman a few times with fire effects on. Why would more fire effects be needed after the brake run?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

An additional photo has been added to the Wicker Man Photography Box page, showing all the items it contains. The page has also been updated to make clear that the majority of items included are exclusive to the box.

Justin

I'm sorry, but that is ridiculously overpriced! I'm all for 'Limited Edition' merchandise, and I am a big fan of Alton products, but I can't get over how little you actually get for your money. This is a big mistake! I'd even have an issue spending £40 on it!
ThemeCrafter264

£20 would be the ideal price, for what is actually inside of it. It's not even like you can use an onride photo, and literally just looks like they went to moonpig and just inserted the wicker man logo for everything.
Jack

I'll take it for £3
Aidan Lowe

Have to admit the quality standard isn't quite there for the price. I'm all for limited edition stuff but don't feel this is worth the price.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Dan

Well, that looks awful. How they can even attempt to justify charging £80 for that is beyond me. It’s a nice idea, but even with the items being Limited Edition and exclusive to the box, it’s still vastly overpriced and probably double what I would even consider paying.
DeadJack5

I must admit when I saw this item I thought it was a joke. It's not worth £80 in the slightest. It does seem a lot for what is essentially an ORP, a piece of wood and a few goodies. I could maybe understand a bit more if the piece of wood you get is the same sized ones available during the end of the season but this is ridiculous.

With regards as well to the amount of advertising (or lack of) I still think we are on track for the normal advertising that we usually see. Lower/moderate advertising such as TV ads I expect to start during the February half term and last a few weeks or even up until opening. A week or so before opening we will probably get news teams experiencing the ride (GMTV with Th13teen and other news teams) and after opening we should see the same ad just with the change of the park now being open. This is all based off previous ride launches and advertising around those :)
Uttox83

T0mPr1ce wrote:The Mummy in Universal Studios Florida has a cool mid-course show scene, which has a fire effect on the ceiling. Something like that could work well. Although, what does confuse me, is that (from a storytelling point of view) you pass through the Wickerman a few times with fire effects on. Why would more fire effects be needed after the brake run?
Yeah i thought the same however, they could go down the Journey To Atlantis route and have a "leaving so soon, i think not" type of ending.. When you think its over and relax you could have The Beornen seal you in the last room and set it on fire.. God i wish Towers would reveal more!! Getting bored and speculative :o)  
jackf1tz

;) There's a 5 metre Freefall drop and then a backwards section
TheBeornen

Yeah news has really dried up and the testing video a few weeks ago really didn't help...
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Nutty Man

jackf1tz wrote:;) There's a 5 metre Freefall drop and then a backwards section
You know that really reminds me of another ride...
Complete credit goes to the bubbleboi
Aidan Lowe

There's a 5 metre Freefall drop and then a backwards section

Stops in the maintenance shed, a section of track turns a 180 so your hanging upside down, artificial fire below lights up all around, you free fall and then all goes dark. your dead lol.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Dan

I do believe there will be some form of special effect “finale” in the covered section of track after the brake run. I can’t see any other reason why it would be enclosed as it’s obviously not for noise reasons.

Hopefully it won’t be too long before the park release more information about the ride :)
Robert.W

With Alton leaving it so long since they last revealed anything about the ride, they seriously are risking people losing interest... If they genuinely don't have anything to show us at the moment, they could have released some footage from earlier stages in the development of the ride that would at least keep us all interested, and talking about it. :)

Ladyofthelake

As I've said before, I wouldn't be too worried about things at this stage. It's not unusual to have a quiet marketing period after the initial announcement. Towers will be wanting to time things just right so they can peak the hype and interest for opening day. If we haven't had any further marketing activity by the first Monday in March (5th), then I would be concerned about delays. Don't forget that the Resort are also in the middle of their February Half Term event too which from their recent posts is the focus of their current activity. It may be that we get some news once this event is finished.
Robert.W

I think it's quite clear that as things stand, this ride isn't delayed... I'm just worried that with such a large gap in their marketing, apart from the release of their overpriced Photography Box, it's a bit easy to loose interest in the project. 

It dosen't help, I don't think, that the last we really heard of the ride was of a video that really underwhelmed many people who saw, and I would have thought more marketing since then to try and appeal to anyone who might have been put off by the testing video, would have been a good strategy to have.

lewis97
Admin
Admin

You speak as if this “interest” can’t be relatively easily piqued again with the revelation of some exciting photos/video and a release or two to the national press :P As Ladyofthelake says, we’ve still got over a month until it (presumably) opens, which is still plenty of time to build hype amongst the general public so that it is at its peak come the start of the season.

Only a relatively small proportion of Wicker Man’s target market will have seen the testing video, so I think any potential negative impact from it is limited.
Robert.W

lewis97 wrote:You speak as if this “interest” can’t be relatively easily piqued again with the revelation of some exciting photos/video and a release or two to the national press :P
No, that's not what I'm saying, I'm just saying that at the moment, there doesn't seem like there is much interest in the project, because of the lack of updates etc. from Towers. I did say in my first comment, that even if Alton released some footage from earlier in the rides development, that it would draw people's attention back, at least until Alton have some actual info to share with us. :)