Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Dan

I have to say, I’m really impressed with the visuals that have been released alongside confirmation of the ride’s name. If the end product of the theming is anything close to the artwork then this will be one stunning coaster.

Im definitely looking forward to seeing the finished article in person and I can’t wait to ride it :)
S.J_O'Grady

I love the visuals, love the theme, really hoping the soundtrack will be on par with The Welcoming's, my only concern with the ride is that in terms of track length, it's even shorter than Th13teen. I'm hoping for plenty of speed, but at the same time, I'd like the ride to last as long as possible!
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Benjsh85

Love the name, theme, artwork basically I love everything. And I haven't gone into this one thinking we're getting a high thrill coaster like I did with 13. My initial reaction of 13 was that it was terrible but only later did I begin to appreciate it for what it is. Now I really enjoy it. That was me falling for Merlin Marketing though and I've learned my lesson you could say. 

Some people would moan whatever they do. What do you guys want? Bland names like Batman, Goliath, The Joker etc ala sixflags? At least it's an interesting and unique theme. Thank your lucky stars we're getting that much. Also it's going to look stunning too offride as well as on ride. 

The only disappointment will be for those expecting this to be a high thrill woody which it clearly won't be. I personally think they're onto a winner with this one myself. Family coasters which offer something for everyone are great investments for parks. I can see this being a big hit with enthusiasts as well as the general public. The 1.2m HR is also a good move. 
PhNx Survivor

Just think.. if this ride is a big hit for families.. what would be the possibility that Thorpe Park would get their own GCI.. or dare I even say RMC.. think I'm getting ahead of myself :lol
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
S.J_O'Grady

I agree the 1.2 restriction is probably a positive. At the moment Th13teen has felt almost like a blip in the line up, with it being the one Big Six ride that smaller folks can go on. It'll be nice to have something else that's a step up from Spinball but not quite the high intensity of The Smiler.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Nutty Man

Hello! I'm annoyed I missed all the discussion but quickly watched the video at 8 before I had to leave. :burn: :burn:

I'm glad I did though because I had it keep me going through all the rubbish stuff that happened today. Also, nobody expected the name! We all thought it was going to be called the wicker Man when it's actually called wicker man. :lol
Complete credit goes to the bubbleboi
Joel Allen

I’m getting rather excited to ride Wicker Man later this year. I adore the promotional art for the ride and I think this ride will be a very memorable,unique experience.
Yappo

This announcement hasn't done much other than confirm what we already knew/strongly suspected, but I absolutely love all the promotional artwork! That little animation is particularly cool, if that's really what the flame effects will look like (coming out of various holes on the structure rather than just in one place) it'll look amazing. I wonder if there will also be some kinda lighting effect to make the tunnel through the structure appear on fire as well, like in the picture.

Also gotta hand it to Merlin's marketing department for sinking to a brand new low in terms of "incredibly convoluted and inaccurate world's first claims".
Phild94 wrote:Unless of course every train will be screeching down the tracks  engulfed in flames... now that would be an experience!
Could be! :P
8byfire wrote:It's also been called a 'theatrical experience' with the coaster just part of it- so we could see film/theatrical effects like Hex or maybe even live actors although perhaps this is less likely due to cost, there are rumors of X NWO WD being linked permanently to the scare maze, not sure if they'd do anything like that though.

And could the smokehouse have been a bit of a pun-based easter egg? With all the others it wouldn't surprise me, maybe they are doing one but they've left us to spot the joke first!
It'd be really cool if they kept The Welcoming open for the season, so you could get the whole package as a single experience - go through the maze then get taken straight to the Wicker Man for the final ritual!
Justin wrote:As well as revealing the official name for the attraction, the Resort have also released the first look at the trains for the roller coaster which features a rams head at the front of the wicker styled trains, and what would appear to be a lapbar style restraint system.
The train in the artwork doesn't look anything like a GCI Millennium Flyer though, so I'm taking it to be an "artist's impression" rather than an accurate depiction. But I would guess the ram's head will be on the actual trains, and I'd of course be very surprised if it had anything other than lap bars :P
S.J_O'Grady wrote:I love the visuals, love the theme, really hoping the soundtrack will be on par with The Welcoming's, my only concern with the ride is that in terms of track length, it's even shorter than Th13teen. I'm hoping for plenty of speed, but at the same time, I'd like the ride to last as long as possible!
Yeah, hopefully the preshow(s?) will add more length to the experience.
Created with my unofficial Beornen runes font, available here.
Ben-

Wow, a lot has happened.

I think it is great to have another family coaster, as when I went as a child the only ride I could go on other than Twirling Toadstool and Ice Age (which i didnt want to go on at the time) was Spinball Whizzer, and I was bored waiting for my parents to get off rollercoasters, especially Air as they got stuck on that for an hour.

I also think the world’s first is not the best. I am one of the few who like world’s firsts but this was a little disappointing, but it is better than Galactica.

Looks like a great ride, but I have to wait at least a year to get on it, :@ as im going to America for the first time this year. 
I hope its great and that the effects are good, as then i think it will be... spectacular!

Ben.
In case I don't see ya good afternoon, good evening, and good night, ha ha

Formally bendaboss
Bert

I love the poster for SW8, However the 'World's First Rollercoaster experience fusing fire and wood' is absolutely hilarious.
[Insert Signature Here]
T0mPr1ce

I have a feeling that only the head and shoulders of the structure will be exposed to fire. I seem to remember on images that there are vents on the shoulders, where the fire could be released from. Also the head and shoulders are the only parts made of metal - the rest is wood. Either the whole head will be on fire for periods of time or bursts of flames from the vents.
Jcoaster

so are we expecting opening to be the 17th of march?
Dan

Jcoaster wrote:so are we expecting opening to be the 17th of march?
Unless they encounter any problems between now and then, I believe Wicker Man will open on March 17th.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

T0mPr1ce wrote:Also the head and shoulders are the only parts made of metal - the rest is wood.
While I believe you're right about the head and tops of the shoulders being made of metal, I don't think there's any wood in the theming structure, with the main body instead being made up of timber-themed cladding, as produced by Universal Rocks.
Owen

Lewis is indeed correct that the structure is not wood. That being said, smoke and lighting can easily be used to create a burning effect in areas where it’s not possible to use real flames. The keyholes perhaps? :P
Wagstaff04

I believe that whilst this ride will be cool, and beyond any of my expectations, the ‘world’s first’ element is A) untrue (unless there’s something I’m missing) and B) the most gimmicky thing they could’ve gone for.

It will be good enough on its own, I’m sure. But yes, the effects will be awesome. The only real thing that’s ticked me off about this today is that all my friends have said that it’ll certainly catch fire!!
TheBeornen

Wow this is exciting! The artwork looks absolutely great, and the world's first does sound pretty stupid but I think they're referring to how it'll be more than just little jets scattered across the ride (hopefully) the fire will actually be integrated like I could see a puff of smoke being shot up at you to look like fire as you pass through the statue.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Nickolai

I must say I am loving all the artwork for this ride, and hopefully it resembles the actual ride flame effects! If the actual structure produces flame effects like the ones seen in the images, then we will be in for one exciting ride. Mixed in with the other theming and the GCI layout, this could be a real ride to watch out for!
Formally Smiler313
Luce

I love everything about this new coaster and can't wait to go on it.  However the name hasn't grown on me yet (I didn't like The Smiler to start with but that grew on me and I like it now as well as the ride itself!) and I'm not sure it's a strong enough name but still, a woodie at AT is really exciting :)
Wagstaff04

Someone on instagram said it’s an IP, and whilst i see his point, it just isn’t.