Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

There’ll still be just over two months until SW8’s (assumed) opening following Monday’s announcement, so I would expect some things to be kept back for a little longer in order to allow the hype to continue to be built upon in the lead up to opening day.
Dungeon-X-Smile

I think they did put effort into the date. I think they chose the 8th for SW8, but I might be wrong since it's also the first Monday of the new year.
T0mPr1ce

1st January 2018 was a Monday
PhNx Survivor

Depends if you were conscious to see Monday from all the drinking :drunk:
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
8byfire

A sacrifice to the sun? The 'burning eye'? Solar deity?
"The almighty scale of our ancient savior will summon a chosen few from miles around and in his shadow..."
Again could be the wicker man structure but it could equally be a representation of the sun, could this be our clue to 'theming envelope 1', is this, in fact, a so far unseen part of the reveal?

http://www.allposters.co.uk/-sp/The-Wic ... 44224_.htm

The place to look closely is theming envelope 1 on viewpoint PV5 & PV7: as the wicker man / ram is theming envelope 2, could 1 be something sun-like? 1 is bigger...

http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/sw8/ride-plans/
Note: "with queuing below" and "on old station site" (not 'in old station building' as has been incorrectly implied elsewhere)
TE1 is just behind the ride entrance and also right in the middle of the large circular banked curve (where main queue will be) prior to the 'man/ram (Wicker Man side)'. You go under ram, past TE1 then into man I think ride-order wise.

Welcoming the wicker man, awaken
Beornen, burning, be chosen
T0mPr1ce

I think it's been assumed the first themeing element has been scrapped. Seeming as on the plans it is a structure as tall as structure we have as theming element 2, I doubt it will be built or even could be built in time for opening in March. I'm more than happy with this as being able to watch the trains thunder around that banked curve into the Wickerman while queueing will be quite cool!
Phild94

I don’t believe there are any foundations completed for TE1 so it would be unlikely that they were build the entire ride up around this area to dig back down.
8byfire

T0mPr1ce wrote:I think it's been assumed the first themeing element has been scrapped. Seeming as on the plans it is a structure as tall as structure we have as theming element 2, I doubt it will be built or even could be built in time for opening in March. I'm more than happy with this as being able to watch the trains thunder around that banked curve into the Wickerman while queueing will be quite cool!
It's possible it is already built but just needs securing in place- it could be simple but visually impressive and may not need building in situ, the 8 of SW8 does link to symbols used for the sun and the recycled pirate prop wicker man stand-in had the SW8 letters above - they keep using the eye imagery even highlighting the London Eye (which itself looks a lot similar to the circle and triangle of the 8 symbol) in the London video (but then that is Merlin-owned!) and referencing the sun, I'm still thinking we can't rule out the possibility of this not just being coincidence.
So excited for Monday and even more so for March!

PhNx Survivor

Themeing Envelope 1 was meant to be the ride station of The Flume.. but was taken down.. like Phild94 has stated, the foundations haven't been put down for such a structure if you look at previous photos of that area. I would assume that the area is now queue ready, and tarmaced for vehicles or gravelled? No idea.. but as T0mPr1ce has said, will be a photogenic area of the ride for people in the queue..

I do have to say, which I had completely forgot about.. I cannot wait to see the clearance of the structure and the ride, it looked so close whilst in construction and now with the added themeing.. going to be a very extreme headchopper!
8byfire

PhNx Survivor wrote:Themeing Envelope 1 was meant to be the ride station of The Flume.. but was taken down..
That's what I've read in forums but looking at the plans they state quite specifically "with queuing below" and "on old station site"  which I'd read to mean where it was rather than using the station (unless this is clarified on the plans elsewhere) for TE1, this doesn't of course rule out the possibility of them changing the plans and scrapping this theming element though, is there anything they could yet add over the queue line? We shall see...

Dan

8byfire wrote: That's what I've read in forums but looking at the plans they state quite specifically "with queuing below" and "on old station site"  which I'd read to mean where it was rather than using the station (unless this is clarified on the plans elsewhere) for TE1, this doesn't of course rule out the possibility of them changing the plans and scrapping this theming element though, is there anything they could yet add over the queue line? We shall see...
It’s fairly obvious from seeing the site as it is now that the only theming envelope that will end up as part of the finished project is Theming Envelope 2.

On the initial plans for SW8, it detailed a restaurant on the site of the old Flume turntable (this was then amended to TE1 and the plans for the restaurant ended up being the Smokehouse that is planned for the Mutiny Bay Courtyard).

As we all know from following previous construction projects, the most common thing that gets scrapped is theming elements, which is usually down to budgetary reasons and I believe this to be no exception. The area that was planned to contain TE1 now forms part of the queue-line and there’s no room to fit anything like the size of the structure detailed on the plans.
PhNx Survivor

Smokehouse? Oo.. gonna have to try that when I next go to AT =P~

It is a shame about the themeing but I am positive it will be for the better on this ride.. other examples for older rides is just to upsetting to think about..
Colinweir

Depending on what TE1 is it may still appear. It could be something that’s yet to be installed. A tall burning tower/lantern that the human face is looking towards which might be what the gas tanks are for. Could be as simple as installing a tall lamp post and isn’t something that’s needing to be done to allow for testing etc and wouldn’t be a lengthy install either. Anyway - just a thought.
PhNx Survivor

Could be, but like what was stated above, that area is practically already finished, to install something like that now would take a bit of time, not to mention the testing needed for the gas tanks if it were to be connected to such a thing..

The gas tanks do make me curious however, as there are quite a few for just a few pyro effects, I do believe the structure will hold a lot of the effects as to what we saw when the structure started to be constructed, and I do believe something will be used in the maintenance shed or pre-show areas.. those tanks could be for anything as I have several at my work, gas, air, water (doubtful), we'll just have to wait and see \:D/
Nutty Man

If my predictions are correct, today's video will include Air/ Galactica...
Complete credit goes to the bubbleboi
Dan

Nutty Man wrote:If my predictions are correct, today's video will include Air/ Galactica...
Considering Wednesday’s video was Nemesis and Thursday’s was Oblivion, I think you might be right :lol
ATI

^You are correct:-
[youtube]qq9dJnCTGqo[/youtube]
So therefore I predict tomorrow's video will be of Th13teen, and then Sunday's as the Smiler. And then I think Alton will make a video on Monday announcing SW8 in a similar format.
We were born to fly...
Nutty Man

I don't know why but that is my least favourite video so far... probably because of the musjc.
Complete credit goes to the bubbleboi
jackf1tz

Nutty Man wrote:I don't know why but that is my least favourite video so far... probably because of the music.
How dare you. I love that ride theme and won't hear a word said against it.  ;)
I find it a bit strange that merlin are all of a sudden marketing the secret weapon series as a whole, considering that the marketing before was so, so, much better. I really hope we hear that tribal - inspired rendition of ITHOTMK again, and I can imagine them including it in the resort advert , in the same vein as the smiler advert in 2013.
PhNx Survivor

That would be something wouldn't it.. the soundtrack is the same as The Smiler but made Tribal and Pagen like instead :lol