Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Owen

Rita88 wrote:Has anyone figured out what the text says above the "be chosen" button?

Following the fire theme and the name that alton towers have had trademarked with the logo i think i may have cracked the cipher....
If it’s the one I think you mean then yes, it was spoken about a few posts up! :)
Kraken

Well fire certainly comes into play somewhere as there is yellow gas piping buried on the construction site (doubtless going to the tarpaulin-covered feature).  The gas piping emerges from a trench next to where the Burger Kitchen was & is on a large reel - doubtless for hooking up to an existing gas supply in the closed season.  
Bexa

Rita88 wrote:Has anyone figured out what the text says above the "be chosen" button?

Following the fire theme and the name that alton towers have had trademarked with the logo i think i may have cracked the cipher....
On The Welcoming website? As far as I'm aware it says Feed The Flames and someone figured it out a while back
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move
PhNx Survivor

I do believe the only "Unique" feature on this ride will probably be how close the structure is to the track, it looked very close on pictures back when the wrapping wasn't there, and that was without any theming! There won't be any sort of secret element due to us already seeing the entire construction. The only possible elements that could be in this ride will either be in the sound tunnels, (I do think these will be themed as that metal strut down the middle of the track on the first tunnel is still there, and would give the clanking sound, would be disorientating), or in the maintenance shed, however due to recent photos of the maintenance shed, I doubt anything will be in there, but it does beg the question.. why sound tunnels before the shed, and after?

Its as if we are entering a section that AT wants to keep a secret from people who look up at the ride to see peoples reactions, hence the sound tunnels. I could be wrong and probably am, but it is weird to have the entrance and exit of the Maintenance Shed enclosed.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Phild94

PhNx Survivor wrote:I do believe the only "Unique" feature on this ride will probably be how close the structure is to the track, it looked very close on pictures back when the wrapping wasn't there, and that was without any theming! There won't be any sort of secret element due to us already seeing the entire construction. The only possible elements that could be in this ride will either be in the sound tunnels, (I do think these will be themed as that metal strut down the middle of the track on the first tunnel is still there, and would give the clanking sound, would be disorientating), or in the maintenance shed, however due to recent photos of the maintenance shed, I doubt anything will be in there, but it does beg the question.. why sound tunnels before the shed, and after?

Its as if we are entering a section that AT wants to keep a secret from people who look up at the ride to see peoples reactions, hence the sound tunnels. I could be wrong and probably am, but it is weird to have the entrance and exit of the Maintenance Shed enclosed.
I believe this is due to noise restrictions on the park. It’s likely that these are going to be the loudest parts of the ride, with a large station making general crowd noise louder and the first turn and drop obviously with the most stored energy being released.

Basically it’s AT trying to keep the locals happy
Aidan Lowe

So ahead of tomorrow in which I expect some reveal I watched the original 1973 version of The Wicker Man. Obviously, it's almost pretty certain Wicker Man will be the name of this attraction and in terms of every other attraction in the world, this at Alton Towers will be globally unique.

These are simply some comparisons I've found, do note however in paganism/festivals/older times etc it's not totally uncommon. I'm not looking into this intently, just a bit of fun. Firstly a few quotes.
We believe that when the human life is over, the soul returns to tree's, to air, to fire, to water, to animals.
Some people questioned if the fire, water, earth sayings in The Welcoming meant anything.
Little rowan loved the March hares.
Obviously, the theme park opens in March but what a nice coincidence if it sticks to the schedule of opening at the season start.

Similar sort of eye features in the movie several times and is quite similar to the prop in the Welcoming.

Summer Isle vs SW8 maybe weathered to make it look similar to the buildings of that decade/island.

The skull in the Welcoming and some similarities in the movie, what part that section of the maze play's I'm unaware of.

Before the tarp went over the theming structure looks like of like the upper left part of this.

Rowan in the movie is said to be dead and buried, in the Welcoming promotion video a girl who looks vaguely similar & a grave are heavily featured.

There are similar Pagan rune symbols in the chemists? shop & the hog or whatever it is is similar.

You could work the story and pass off Alton Towers are Lord Summerisles residence.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Bert

This is the first time I've fully watched a ride construction actively in person for the past two years, since the beggining with the teaser back in Feb 2016 so it feels after strange that the ride might be revealed tomorrow...  :O
[Insert Signature Here]
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Bert2theSpark wrote:This is the first time I've fully watched a ride construction actively in person for the past two years, since the beggining with the teaser back in Feb 2016 so it feels after strange that the ride might be revealed tomorrow...  :O
There will not be a full reveal tomorrow. The marketing is still in its "prequel" stage until the end of the year, meaning the full announcement will likely come in January, as is usual for Merlin's new attractions.
Bert

lewis97 wrote:
Bert2theSpark wrote:This is the first time I've fully watched a ride construction actively in person for the past two years, since the beggining with the teaser back in Feb 2016 so it feels after strange that the ride might be revealed tomorrow...  :O
There will not be a full reveal tomorrow. The marketing is still in its "prequel" stage until the end of the year, meaning the full announcement will likely come in January, as is usual for Merlin's new attractions.
Hmm, I can agree with the full announcement but I think we are getting at least something tomorrow if taking the 'on the day when the living meets the dead' is halloween, even it's just a teaser. 
I can wait for the SW8 announcement, Even if it ends up being the last 2018 coaster to be announced. 
[Insert Signature Here]
Rita88

I thoight we already knew the name? Its all over google, pr atleast the supposed trademarked named with logo is on google, also on the code bit has anyone figured out the rest of the letters to decode the bit on the bottom of the welcome page?
Adam.W

Rita88 wrote:I thoight we already knew the name? Its all over google, pr atleast the supposed trademarked named with logo is on google, also on the code bit has anyone figured out the rest of the letters to decode the bit on the bottom of the welcome page?
If we're both talking about the same thing here, then it's just "bechosen" multiple times at the bottom of the page. Most of the runes were decoded months ago :)

We have a very good idea what the name will be (The Wicker Man), as it was copyrighted towards the end of last year/earlier this year by Lane IP (who currently work with Merlin). The logo was also copyrighted fairly recently too.

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmcas ... U016221269
dazza4783

Adam.W wrote:
Rita88 wrote:I thoight we already knew the name? Its all over google, pr atleast the supposed trademarked named with logo is on google, also on the code bit has anyone figured out the rest of the letters to decode the bit on the bottom of the welcome page?
If we're both talking about the same thing here, then it's just "bechosen" multiple times at the bottom of the page. Most of the runes were decoded months ago :)

We have a very good idea what the name will be (The Wicker Man), as it was copyrighted towards the end of last year/earlier this year by Lane IP (who currently work with Merlin). The logo was also copyrighted fairly recently too.

The name will just be "Wicker Man" not "The Wicker Man". Both were trademarked but the logo being used confirms it will be "Wicker Man". Even if some people still refuse to believe it.
Tom170499

Everyone believed The Smiler was going to be called The Innoculator or The Marmaliser because these names were trademarked in a similar style so until Alton Towers confirms the name, it is not a definite that the ride will be called Wickerman. 
Phild94

dazza4783 wrote:
Adam.W wrote:

The name will just be "Wicker Man" not "The Wicker Man". Both were trademarked but the logo being used confirms it will be "Wicker Man". Even if some people still refuse to believe it.
I hope they scrap the full name and just go for Wicker. It sounds much better and fits with their (generally) one word SW names (excluding The Smiler obviously)
Aidan Lowe

Elliot Crawford who is the guy in the promotional videos has tweeted here.

This is nothing new but posted hours before the 31st for me hints that we'll be seeing exactly what happens on site on Halloween. I'm thinking similar to CCTV / DBGT video.

Perhaps a video where we see construction workers and the community from the woods perhaps maybe capturing them? We'll see.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
T0mPr1ce

I know we are a while off yet but I'm looking forward to the tv advert for the ride, I love Alton's adverts, they're usually wicked
PhNx Survivor

T0mPr1ce wrote:I know we are a while off yet but I'm looking forward to the tv advert for the ride, I love Alton's adverts, they're usually wicked
Its a shame they don't advertise The Smiler one anymore.. the Halloween one was brilliant! But I can imagine the structure definitely being the focal point of the advert.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
JC13

Do we know if anything happened today? I’ve not been able to have internet for most of the night so I haven’t seen anything about what happened today about SW8 reveals
Loakin

Nothing has really happened unfortunately
JC13

That’s a shame, at least I didn’t miss anything!