Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Phild94

Stan.H wrote:What about the fire effects used on Scorpion Express at CWoA?
Isn't this a Steel ride anyway?
Justin

Apart from the wooden Wild West scenery; yes, it is!
Bert

Phild94 wrote:
Isn't this a Steel ride anyway?
Scorpion Express is a Mack Powered coaster and indeed a Steel coaster. 

Just a thought, The Swarm's fire effect only goes once every 3 trains and water effects the other times. With Scorpion Express as it goes round more than once you have the fire effect on the first time than just the water effect any extra times going round. 

Do you guys think SW8 will have a similar fire effect to that of The Swarm where only certain trains get the fire effect, Imagine how much gas SW8 would eat up if it had a fire effect on everytime a Millennium Flyer train first enters the wickerman surely it would alternate effects.
[Insert Signature Here]
Phild94

I think it's much more likely to be smoke and stage lighting, probably with some fire effects maybe at the head of the structure.

I doubt they'll choreograph a fireball for every train, for exactly the reason you've just said!
Chris
Admin
Admin

The fire on Apocalypse has not worked for a good while now.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Any actual fire effect would presumably be located at the top of the theming structure (which is made from metal), well away from the wooden structure of the coaster itself, potentially to create a fireball effect that mimics the 'head' of the figure in the trademarked logo. However, if actual fire is included I can only seeing it being an intermittent effect for the reasons that have been discussed (i.e. cost).

If they want to give the impression that the theming structure is continuously burning then I think the most achievable way of doing that would be with smoke and lighting located inside the element, although I'm unsure on the effectiveness of that during the light of the day.
Justin

I must agree, unless the theming structure has a dark internal structure to make it appear the figure is smouldering?
Danny

I'd consider Scorpion's Express fire effect to be fairly small in comparison to what SW8 would require to have the desired impact. Also the fact the surrounding area will be 90% wood I just can't see AT taking the risk :)
MakoMania

There are valid arguments about fire effects being expensive to run etc but with regards to safety, just because the ride is wooden doesn't mean that there has to be any sort of risk from using fire, it just has to be a safe distance away from the structure, that's all.

I don't know if this ride will or will not have fire effects, but a fairly large control room seems unlikely to be just for some steam and light effects.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
RobJackson85

A short burst of flame as every other train passes will probably not affect a wooden structure. Only a constant source of heat will create a danger. Valhalla at Blackpool has massive, and relatively close to the ride vehicle fire effects - and that's indoor!
Rabz46

Towers has just posted a video up for their scare maze based on the theming for sw8, looked at the translations
On the coffin - gift
On the hand - chosen

Don't know if there is anything else I missed
Phild94

Rabz46 wrote:Towers has just posted a video up for their scare maze based on the theming for sw8, looked at the translations
On the coffin - gift
On the hand - chosen

Don't know if there is anything else I missed
Was just about to post about this!

EDIT: Video available from TT Facebook

Last edited by Phild94 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colinweir

Wondering if anything has been confirmed about the name being "Wicker Man" yet?  Just a thought, but is "The Welcoming" maybe a clue?  A wee look at information on the domain "thewelcoming.co.uk" that doesn't currently have any content brings up the following.

Domain name: 
thewelcoming.co.uk 

Registrant: 
Merlin Entertainments Group Limited 

Registrant type: 
Unknown 

Registrant's address: 
3 Market Close 
Poole 
Poole 
Dorset 
BH15 1NQ 
United Kingdom 

Data validation: 
Nominet was able to match the registrant's name and address against a 3rd party data source on 20-Dec-2016 

Registrar: 
Ascio Technologies Inc. Denmark ? filial af Ascio Technologies Inc. USA t/a Ascio Technologies inc [Tag = ASCIO] 
URL: http://www.ascio.com 

Relevant dates: 
Registered on: 06-Sep-2017 
Expiry date: 06-Sep-2019 
Last updated: 06-Sep-2017 
Dan

Colinweir wrote:Wondering if anything has been confirmed about the name being "Wicker Man" yet?  Just a thought, but is "The Welcoming" maybe a clue?  A wee look at information on the domain "thewelcoming.co.uk" that doesn't currently have any content brings up the following.

Domain name: 
thewelcoming.co.uk 

Registrant: 
Merlin Entertainments Group Limited 

Registrant type: 
Unknown 

Registrant's address: 
3 Market Close 
Poole 
Poole 
Dorset 
BH15 1NQ 
United Kingdom 

Data validation: 
Nominet was able to match the registrant's name and address against a 3rd party data source on 20-Dec-2016 

Registrar: 
Ascio Technologies Inc. Denmark ? filial af Ascio Technologies Inc. USA t/a Ascio Technologies inc [Tag = ASCIO] 
URL: http://www.ascio.com 

Relevant dates: 
Registered on: 06-Sep-2017 
Expiry date: 06-Sep-2019 
Last updated: 06-Sep-2017 
The name hasn't yet been confirmed but I highly doubt it'll be Wicker Man, despite it being trademarked. I could be wrong though.
Colinweir

I kinda get a feeling that the fact there is a scare maze in the theming of it and the second part of that name is "Be Chosen" is a bit indicative of how they're going to be choosing some of the first riders of the ride. Also, the promo video for SW8 had "Be Chosen" a lot throughout it.

I don't think they'd register a domain name just for the scare maze. However, I'm probably wrong - ask my wife, I often am!
dazza4783

Dan wrote: The name hasn't yet been confirmed but I highly doubt it'll be Wicker Man, despite it being trademarked. I could be wrong though.
So despite the fact that the name was leaked by a worker way back when the flume was being demolished, and that they are building a big Wicker Man statue as theming for the ride, and that they have trademarked the name and a logo, not to mention the Pagan theming they are going with. You still highly doubt that is the name? I would say that all of what we have seen so far is a lot of effort for them to go to just to troll coaster enthusiasts. 
Capt.Barnacles

And we know from the past that Merlin like to troll enthusiasts. So yes I entirely believe that whilst I was wrong about the theming element not being a wicker statue, I still doubt the name of the ride itself will be wicker man given that the statue itself doesn't resemble the human shaped effigy usually seen, and instead seems to resemble a rams head.
dazza4783

Capt. Barnacles wrote:And we know from the past that Merlin like to troll enthusiasts. So yes I entirely believe that whilst I was wrong about the theming element not being a wicker statue, I still doubt the name of the ride itself will be wicker man given that the statue itself doesn't resemble the human shaped effigy usually seen, and instead seems to resemble a rams head.
If you are talking about the poster that hinted that the flume would be replaced by a Secret Weapon coaster, then maybe you are right  :lol
Also, don't be fooled by the word "man" in the title. This is a Wicker Man statue
Doesn't look human to me.
TheBeast

I don't really understand how the ride could be named "The Wicker Man" considering its supposed to be fitting into the Mutiny Bay and Katanga Canyon kinda area? Unless they are retheming the area and ive missed something! Not been on for a while!

Any chance somebody can post the link for this promo video mentioned above? (re the "be chosen" stuff) :)
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
dazza4783

TheBeast wrote:I don't really understand how the ride could be named "The Wicker Man" considering its supposed to be fitting into the Mutiny Bay and Katanga Canyon kinda area? Unless they are retheming the area and ive missed something! Not been on for a while!

Any chance somebody can post the link for this promo video mentioned above? (re the "be chosen" stuff) :)
There is a link to it in Phild94's post.