Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
jwewan

Hello all, new to all this, but just played the video backwards and nothing could be understood unless I was an idiot and missed it. What I did notice (although this probably isn't true) is that the two people speaking did sound somewhat German, which I did notice was also the website http://www.wicker-man.com/ language. Probably nothing, but you never know, eh?
Teammaddiz

jwewan wrote:Hello all, new to all this, but just played the video backwards and nothing could be understood unless I was an idiot and missed it. What I did notice (although this probably isn't true) is that the two people speaking did sound somewhat German, which I did notice was also the website http://www.wicker-man.com/ language. Probably nothing, but you never know, eh?
Did that myself when the video was first published and as far I could tell there was nothing to find when played backwards, which was to be expected really considering they spoke intelligible English throughout the video (although the scream on Thirteen had a chance of being something). Think you're trying too hard to make a connection, from the appearance of the website there doesn't look to be any link to Alton at all, just a slight coincidence that its inception and recent SW8 news coincide to similar dates. 
Phild94

Could be something or nothing but this UK advertising company is holding onto the website: http://www.the-wickerman.com
TheDylag

I like and appreciate IMAScore's music and in certain cases they can exceed expectations (such as The Smiler, Helix, etc) however an IMAScore score would simply not fit SW8. In my opinion their music is simply too electronic and 'computer sounding', which works in cases such as The Smiler, but not so much when we are talking about scoring a wooden roller coaster (which will be marketed as such) based around a pagan/witchcraft cult that hates technological advance. That Mystic Timbers score for example, it's a good piece of music, but in no way would I say it fits the ride it's designed for nor does it create a suitable atmosphere, which is precisely what a good score must do. I think Alton Towers will very much market this ride as an 'old' wooden coaster and will strive to remove any sort of obvious technologically advanced stuff from the experience. This is why I believe that ideally they have summoned an outside composer to work on the score, such as in the case of Hex, which coincidentally is my absolute favourite score at Alton Towers, but that's just wishful thinking on my part, they probably have worked with IMAScore.
Capt.Barnacles

I think you might need to take a listen to some soundtracks like that of Schwur Des Karnan at Hansa Park. Entirely recorded with a symphonic orchestra and written by IMAscore. They're more than capable of non-electronic sounding audio.
jwewan

Wow! I messaged Alton Towers on Facebook last night and they replied with this...

Do you guys think this is something worth getting excited about? I also sent them another message after that one which read: That's cool! Do you know anything about  something called a 'Wicker Man' something used a pretty long time ago, maybe for Sacrifice? 
Last edited by lewis97 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Image
TheDylag

Perhaps, it's just that in the past few years IMAScore's tracks for Merlin parks have been fairly electronic: The Smiler, The Big Top, DBGT, Galactica and even Flight of the Demon to some extent. You're correct however, it seems I've overlooked Karnan and I hope if IMAScore do the music (which they probably will) then they'll stick to that sort of path.
jwewan

ImageAnother reply off of the Towers Team? Do you think this confirms that the new ride will be based off of the most recent Wickerman film? Or do you think this means nothing?
Sawboss

They won't base a ride off a film that's a decade old and is only remembered for being hilariously bad. I'm interested to see if the ride will be connected with druids or something different.
TheDylag

The Nick Cage version is one of my favourite comedies of all time. However, I hear that the original 'Wikerman' film is actually good, shame I have not seen it yet.
NemesisRider

The chances of The Wickerman being related to an IP are incredibly small in my eyes - Alton hopefully will have decided for SW8, as with The Smiler, a custom theme works better than an IP. Personally I'd also agree with others in saying The Wickerman film is honestly a terrible IP, and I couldn't see Merlin using it. That is, unless the ride trains are covered with the words with "NOT THE BEES!", then I'm all for it. :P

SIdenote: The person running the social media account will probably tease enthusiasts to make their day more interesting. Sounds harsh, but you'd be probably bored after answering the same questions from guests all day, every day. They probably aren't the prime source for SW8 hints.
jwewan

NemesisRider wrote:The chances of The Wickerman being related to an IP are incredibly small in my eyes - Alton hopefully will have decided for SW8, as with The Smiler, a custom theme works better than an IP. Personally I'd also agree with others in saying The Wickerman film is honestly a terrible IP, and I couldn't see Merlin using it. That is, unless the ride trains are covered with the words with "NOT THE BEES!", then I'm all for it. :P

SIdenote: The person running the social media account will probably tease enthusiasts to make their day more interesting. Sounds harsh, but you'd be probably bored after answering the same questions from guests all day, every day. They probably aren't the prime source for SW8 hints.
Haha yeah, I agree with all of what you just said. Thought it was just interesting to share with you all :) 
Adam.W

What if the rollercoaster's trains will be able to roll sideways, similar to the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train at the Magic Kingdom in Florida? It would make sense, looking at the section of track without any banking, since the trains would roll to counter the lateral g's.

Video

The seats are attached to the car by hinges so they can roll left or right according to the direction of the lateral g's.
fillc85

I personally am not too worried about the lack of banking on that section. if you look at older wooden coasters such as Grand National some of those corners have very slight banks but still keeps going at a reasonable speed
Capt.Barnacles

From the recreation I've been putting together, I think everyone's really overestimating the actual banking of the track in certain places. For instance, the last turn down in the pit area, will in fact barely bank beyond 10 degrees, creating a very strong point of lateral G force there.
Chris
Admin
Admin

Lateral G's are fine in a flat section of track, as long as the coaster tracks well and remains smooth.

I rode Stampida again last week, and although a different manufacturer, the flat sections are hell - and this is after being retracked two years ago.
Adz
Admin
Admin

Chris wrote:Lateral G's are fine in a flat section of track, as long as the coaster tracks well and remains smooth.

I rode Stampida again last week, and although a different manufacturer, the flat sections are hell - and this is after being retracked two years ago.
Stampida could be rebuilt from scratch and still be awful thanks to those Kumbak trains. The coaster itself was absolutely fine until those abominations were put on it. 

We'll have at least 3 or 4 years before SW8/The Wicker Man becomes unacceptable rough! ;)
Chigaia

jwewan wrote:ImageAnother reply off of the Towers Team? Do you think this confirms that the new ride will be based off of the most recent Wickerman film? Or do you think this means nothing?
SW8 Nicholas Cage themed. It'll take you through all of his best roles, eventually leading to a huge wickerman with the sound of him screaming "Not the bees"

Being serious, I think I'm finally on board with this wickerman stuff, bit surprised they've shown their hand so early though...
TheDylag

I do not think we need to worry about a Modern GCI woodie becoming rough, especially after only 3-4 years of operation. They build the smoothest and the best woodies around.
hursty

TheDylag wrote:They build the smoothest and the best woodies around.
[citation needed]