Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Aidan Lowe

I see it more from Bert2theSpark view. I dabble in graphics & video editing and from a marketing standpoint I could easily do more with a darker toned theme than something safe. At the end of the day the ride is the ride, the GP should be more dubious of that than the made up story when debating whether to come to a theme park to ride attractions.

From my POV seeing a gripping ~30 second ad for example of Oblivion/Th13teen is holding my attention a lot more than the calm tranquil Galactica advert and makes me want to book a visit.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
S.J_O'Grady

Giving most (but not all) of their "scary rides" scary themes would work fine IF they had enough children's rides with childish themes and family rides with a tone that lies in the middle. They are doing this - the bigger rides are getting the adult themes, small rides get the light themes (CBeebies), then there are those in the middle, so Mine Train and Duel, nothing too sinister but exploring both lighter and darker themes.

I think part of the problem, and why so much of the park seems too gloomy, is that outside of CBeebies (which is basically a separate park) there aren't really any children's rides. Then on top of this, the family rides are disappearing too. Toadstool, Charlie, Flume, for example, and they didn't have a massive amount of these before they started culling them. If CCL gets some attention in 2019, we might see this issue start to be resolved but I do believe that the family market and children's market is being neglected if you discount CBeebies. After all, the very ride we're discussing is replacing The Flume.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
118hazaman

In terms of dark themes, I think they are used to make the ride itself seem more thrilling. SW8 looks like a family sized GCI coaster. From this alone the ride will appeal to quite a range of audiences. However, you may get die hard thrill seekers overlooking the coaster because they consider it tame. A way to resolve this is to implement a dark theme which makes the ride seem more thrilling. We have seen this work in the form of 13. I believe Towers are doing this again in the hope that everyone rides.

Secondly, the flume was boring and in a bad state. The attraction that is replacing it is a family addition. Obviously it doesn't allow children of a such a young age to ride like the flume did, but it is still in that audience after Cbeebies. Towers definitely needs more additions for this family target audience. I'd love to see CCL get an entire large scale redevelopment, similar to the Lost Kingdom at Paulton's Park.
The5miler

I wonder if were gonna get an epic IMA score soundtrack
ATI

The5miler wrote:I wonder if were gonna get an epic IMA score soundtrack
There will be. :)
We were born to fly...
jackf1tz

ATI wrote:
You never know, could be nick hutson.
Tom170499

jackf1tz wrote:
ATI wrote:
You never know, could be nick hutson.
I reckon that with all the recent work Towers have done with IMA Score, it will probably be them. It wouldn't surprise me if it had already been done when they did the Herritage soundtrack or is currently in production.
jackf1tz

Towers have also been doing a lot of work with Nick, with Mutiny Bay, Many Scarefest Soundtracks and (I think) Christmas. All I know is, we'll be getting some great audio, from a great composer, be it IMAScore or Nick Hutson, to go along with a great ride experience, a great theme and some great merch.
Tom170499

jackf1tz wrote:Towers have also been doing a lot of work with Nick, with Mutiny Bay, Many Scarefest Soundtracks and (I think) Christmas. All I know is, we'll be getting some great audio, from a great composer, be it IMAScore or Nick Hutson, to go along with a great ride experience, a great theme and some great merch.
That is true. I think something along the lines of Mystic Timbers would be good. Out of all IMA Score's work, that is my favourite and I think something similar would really fit the Pagan/Wickerman theme. 
Justin

IMA Score would be fantastic! They have produced some great themes!
Justin

Just a little speculation on my part, but following The Smiler mini site for SW7, will we see a mini site for SW8? Typing in http://www.wicker-man.com/ a site has been activated this month using basic wordpress (cover-up?), however, no information is available at this time as to who registered it.
Rabz46

Random one on the video, don't know if it's been pointed out in all the video talk (maybe a separate forum?)

When she knocks the books off the shelf, it is against the left wall, later in the video it is on the back wall, swapping with the nemesis egg

When the wide view is shown there is a severed head (fake!) Under the big tap at the very far left

Also when they make reference to the artwork for thirteen, there is what looks like a black and white picture of veins or when you candle an egg....

Also probably not relevant but the brand of the clock, and the times on the clock?

I may be over thinking, and it has nothing to do with the theme suggested or they may have already been mentioned and I've missed them!
Adam.W

I found some "clues" in the video:
She walks past the bookshelf and the letters are gone.

These are runes on the computer screen behind the guy. We haven't seen these ones before.

Author's name, could it relate to some sort of character in the backstory?

Shirt changes half way through to show "Be Chosen". Just looking at the way things are craftily edited/changed throughout fully convinces me that they're playing with enthusiasts here.

More runes we haven't seen, this is on the air poster in the video.

We haven't seen the runes below the 3 letter word (SW8).

As someone mentioned a few pages back, the static audio at the end apparently seems to mean "Be Chosen".

EDIT:
Upon closer inspection, the books change to these runes when she walks past them

Just as a side note, the items in the 'studio' change throughout the video, so I feel like some of the objects could hint towards certain aspects of the theme.
Last edited by Adam.W on Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom170499

Adam.W wrote:I found some "clues" in the video:
She walks past the bookshelf and the letters are gone.

Runes on the screen. We haven't seen these ones before.

Author's name, could it relate to some sort of character in the backstory?

Shirt changes half way through to show "Be Chosen". Just looking at the way things are craftily edited/changed throughout fully convinces me that they're playing with enthusiasts here.

More runes we haven't seen, this is on the air poster in the video.

We haven't seen the runes below the 3 letter word (SW8).

As someone mentioned a few pages back, the static audio at the end apparently seems to mean "Be Chosen".

EDIT:
Upon closer inspection, the books change to these runes when she walks past them
This has all been discussed earlier on. None of this is new.
RobHand

Haven't Posted in a while, but have been watching the thread since it started, and It's amazing how much progress is being made for this SW in such little time. So much going on!

I hope IMA Score end up doing the soundtrack for this ride (It does make sense for them not too), I fell in love with them after Galactica's
KrakenKray

Justin wrote:Just a little speculation on my part, but following The Smiler mini site for SW7, will we see a mini site for SW8? Typing in http://www.wicker-man.com/ a site has been activated this month using basic wordpress (cover-up?), however, no information is available at this time as to who registered it.
Just doing a Whois search on that domain it's registered to Simon Schmid from Germany so I think it's safe to assume this is not Merlin.
If you do a reverse whois search on the email that Merlin uses to register domains you can see which ones they own
http://viewdns.info/reversewhois/?q=web ... nments.biz
None of them jump out with regards to SW8 although you can only see 500 out of the 526 registered (I'm not paying to see the other 26!) and it ends on wa but altoninsider.com directs to the SW8 page.
PhNx Survivor

Not heard the Mystic Timbers audio from IMA Score, but I really enjoyed Helix audio from them, I haven't been able to listen to DBGT audio much cause its usually always broken down :lol
However I'm sure whoever they go with, (Hopefully IMA Score), we'll get a great audio soundtrack from the provider!
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Tom170499

PhNx Survivor wrote:Not heard the Mystic Timbers audio from IMA Score, but I really enjoyed Helix audio from them, I haven't been able to listen to DBGT audio much cause its usually always broken down :lol
However I'm sure whoever they go with, (Hopefully IMA Score), we'll get a great audio soundtrack from the provider!

This is my favourite non-Alton Towers audio (my favourite at Towers being The Smiler) and I think something similar would be great for SW8.
PhNx Survivor

Tom170499 wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:Not heard the Mystic Timbers audio from IMA Score, but I really enjoyed Helix audio from them, I haven't been able to listen to DBGT audio much cause its usually always broken down :lol

This is my favourite non-Alton Towers audio (my favourite at Towers being The Smiler) and I think something similar would be great for SW8.
Okay, that is definitely a great audio for a ride like that! Sounded like it should of been for SW8 as the beginning sounded similar to Duel! Yeah I'd be happy with something like that for SW8!
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Justin

KrakenKray wrote:
Justin wrote:Just a little speculation on my part, but following The Smiler mini site for SW7, will we see a mini site for SW8? Typing in http://www.wicker-man.com/ a site has been activated this month using basic wordpress (cover-up?), however, no information is available at this time as to who registered it.
Just doing a Whois search on that domain it's registered to Simon Schmid from Germany so I think it's safe to assume this is not Merlin.
If you do a reverse whois search on the email that Merlin uses to register domains you can see which ones they own
http://viewdns.info/reversewhois/?q=web ... nments.biz
None of them jump out with regards to SW8 although you can only see 500 out of the 526 registered (I'm not paying to see the other 26!) and it ends on wa but altoninsider.com directs to the SW8 page.
Thanks for the update. WHOIS wasn't returning any results when I searched. I'm surprised Merlin didn't register the address though!