Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Jcoaster

well done! We've all worked so hard on this :) can't wait for the second episode of this mini series
Justin

Good going! I can't make out any others myself, but hoping that they will become clearer over the coming weeks.
NemesisRider

Seems there was a lot hidden in this video - good job everybody! Sorry I haven't had chance to try and contribute to this. 

On an unrelated note, I've got to say that teaser left me a little underwhelmed. For one of the first major bits of SW8 marketing, I felt there was a lot to be desired. I think it felt a bit badly acted at some points, especially seeing as they've paid extra to get an (admittedly fairly obscure) celebrity in. Also I didn't really understand what kind of audience they were aiming at - it almost felt like a CBBC show, which is a bit odd assuming The Welcoming (a scare-maze with a linked in theme) has a fairly dark and sinister vibe. I just felt this was nowhere near as strong of a start as the Smiler and DBGT marketing campaigns had when they released their first videos. Rant over. :P
Nickolai

To be honest, I am a little late to this too. From the amount of buzz I have seen on this thread, it seems like waves of video game levels. Like, wave one is done and now we are preparing for wave two! Sorry for the cringey comparison but that's how I see at the moment! It will be interesting to see how many new symbols we find in episode 2 and how they are hidden. I hope to make some effort decoding episode 2. :)
Formally Smiler313
dazza4783

"Ground Breaking Development", "Globally Unique Experience" Sounds like they are trying really hard to say "World First" without actually saying it. 
Yappo

NemesisRider wrote:I think it felt a bit badly acted at some points, especially seeing as they've paid extra to get an (admittedly fairly obscure) celebrity in. Also I didn't really understand what kind of audience they were aiming at - it almost felt like a CBBC show
Oh I know, the presenting was pretty awful and cringey. (I mean did he really just say "lol" out loud... oh god help us.) I only sat through it for the easter eggs :P
Created with my unofficial Beornen runes font, available here.
S.J_O'Grady

dazza4783 wrote:"Ground Breaking Development", "Globally Unique Experience" Sounds like they are trying really hard to say "World First" without actually saying it. 
I'm alright with that though. I'd rather a really good ride with no records than something underwhelming with one record beating element for the sake of it.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Considering there's only a placeholder for one more video on the SW8 page, what are the chances of something happening while they're on the construction site in the next episode which sees the marketing take a different turn...?

Of course it could just be that additional episodes are added at a later date.
S.J_O'Grady

Ooh I'm loving that idea Lewis  :clap:
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Justin

I don't think the first video was intended to sit in the Episode 1 holder, especially when today's video was titled Episode 1. I expect the website will be updated accordingly.
Robert.W

I'm hoping that at some point, maybe not in this series of episodes, that they will have a timelapse of the rides construction.

OhShambhala

Smiler313 wrote: Merlin wouldn't want to make another TH13TEEN mistake surely...
Remember that 'mistake' worked very well for the park. They managed to rake in allmost 3 million guests in 2010, a record year if you think they didn't even pull in 2 million last year!
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
EndlessWire

Hi there, it's been AGES since I last posted on here, but I've been following construction for a while and thought I'd drop one of my own little observations. It turns out that if you take each string of runes, put them in order of when they first appear (so: firstly his T shirt, secondly the TV screen behind him, then the Air poster etc etc) and then pick only the very first of them and string them together, you get what appears to be a message. Trouble is, I can't decipher it. Any ideas what it might say?

In seriousness, I do quite like this marketing idea - they're having a bit of fun with it and not hitting us over the head with it as they did with Thirteen.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Just reading back through and something occurred to me...
NemesisRider wrote:I think it felt a bit badly acted at some points
Perhaps you could say it was... wooden... :sus:
Justin

Boom, boom! :lol :lol :lol
Yappo

Well played EndlessWire :lol

...and lewis *groan* :P
Created with my unofficial Beornen runes font, available here.
Justin

Rewatching the video, her hair changes and the mobile on the table changes too!
T0mPr1ce

Didn't think the video was too awful, I did cringe at moments but we were given lots of clues. Very excited to see episode 2 when we are taken to the construction site.
Phild94

I'm sure the point has already been made but I think it could be something to do with reverting back.

Wooden Mug
Analogue Clock
'Air Entrance' Runes

I'm just wondering if they could go along the conversion theme...

Alton was building a new ride, dark forces (The Wickerman) took it over and converted it from a futuristic ride to one held in the past.

Scare maze would make a nice tie in (for you Dr who fans think cyber men in reverse, you will be downgraded)
tworandom

Phild94 wrote:I'm sure the point has already been made but I think it could be something to do with reverting back.

Wooden Mug
Analogue Clock
'Air Entrance' Runes

I'm just wondering if they could go along the conversion theme...

Alton was building a new ride, dark forces (The Wickerman) took it over and converted it from a futuristic ride to one held in the past.

Scare maze would make a nice tie in (for you Dr who fans think cyber men in reverse, you will be downgraded)
This would fit in nicely since roller coasters have there origins in wood!