Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
T0mPr1ce

Can I just point out; 'World Class' rather than 'World First'.
PhNx Survivor

Elaborate?
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Dan

PhNx Survivor wrote: Elaborate?
I believe it was in reference to the SW8 site using the words "World Class Experience" rather than the traditional "Worlds First" tag line.

Does this suggest that SW8 won't have a world first element and that it'll just be a solid coaster with no gimmick?
Brett

I'm hoping that we do see something world class going back to the days where theming as essential to the experience and not just one key element of the ride. Possible fire effects by looking at the marketing so far. I think we will see some projection in the preshow building of some sorts. Also I think this will be the start of gloomy wood redo. I don't know if anyone remembers the broomstick motorbike coaster planed for gloomy? Was dismissed due to the woods being taken down partially but I think they have a plan to make an actual area out of gloomy wood rather than just a path way that's mildly themed.
Chigaia

Hate to disappoint people, but I went to the park today and there's 100% a gruffalo under that big tent/tarp thing.
OhShambhala

I dont see how people could think its gonna be in Gloomy Wood, the entrance is in Mutiny Bay (Katanga Canyon at a push) and Gloomy Wood is still a good 5-10 minute walk away when using the old pathway past the rapids. In my opinion, the ride will be in its own sub land bridging Katanga and Mutiny.
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
Chigaia

OhShambhala wrote:I dont see how people could think its gonna be in Gloomy Wood, the entrance is in Mutiny Bay (Katanga Canyon at a push) and Gloomy Wood is still a good 5-10 minute walk away when using the old pathway past the rapids. In my opinion, the ride will be in its own sub land bridging Katanga and Mutiny.
They've added a lot of new signage around haunted hollow/gloomy wood, and opened (or at least are advertising more) a new "lakeside" path from MB to FV. They're clearly making an effort to lower foot traffic around gloomy wood, which makes it seem likely that the entrance would be there.
Jammydodger

I can't remember the exact plot of the Wickerman story, but isn't there something around being chosen by the villagers to be the person they sacrifice inside the burning Wickerman structure. That would tie quite nicely into the "be chosen" tagline, no?

If we're going wild with the speculation, the ride ops could even be costumed as villagers and the story goes that they're putting you on the ride to be sacrificed.  I'm pretty sure one of the requirements of the "sacrifice" is that they have to find the village on their own free will so they could easily play that up into a pre-show since we're "riding" at our own free will. 
OhShambhala

Chigaia wrote:
OhShambhala wrote:I dont see how people could think its gonna be in Gloomy Wood, the entrance is in Mutiny Bay (Katanga Canyon at a push) and Gloomy Wood is still a good 5-10 minute walk away when using the old pathway past the rapids. In my opinion, the ride will be in its own sub land bridging Katanga and Mutiny.
They've added a lot of new signage around haunted hollow/gloomy wood, and opened (or at least are advertising more) a new "lakeside" path from MB to FV. They're clearly making an effort to lower foot traffic around gloomy wood, which makes it seem likely that the entrance would be there.
The plans state that the entrance to the ride is at the bottom of the sight next to the theming structure and the helix. Early work on the queueline also suggests this.

EDIT: With the SW8 teaser site now showing a video about all the different Secret Weapons leading up to this one, I presume that this video will be shown on the TV screens surrounding the construction site. Aswell as this new video, two other videos are marked down as "coming soon". This is most likely new teasers and may later be shown at scarefest. It could, however, be similar to the Smiler mini series used during its campaign.

Its exciting to see SW8 begin its marketing stages and I look forward to what the future holds.
Last edited by lewis97 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double posts
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
ilyAlton

I wonder if this means anything
buzzingstar01

ilyAlton wrote:Image

I wonder if this means anything
It means chosen ilyAlton
Pins

I assumed the icons were just references to the different SW rides? With the last representing the 2018 attraction?

Hence where 6 icons are used these refer to the built rides?
buzzingstar01

https://www.altontowers.com/sw8
There are 8 runes in it...the original was CHOSEN......the second BE CHOSEN....even more confused now
lewis97
Admin
Admin

While I do think 'Be Chosen' is the most convincing speculated meaning of the symbols so far, there's also the chance that they have no specific meaning as such and are more just there to convey a certain theme. That said, it could be that they will play a more significant part in the marketing campaign as it progresses - I could see challenges to decipher runic messages in order to unlock content, for example.

Ultimately, the Resort know that plastering the symbols all over the SW8 page will have enthusiasts frantically trying to work out what they mean, regardless of whether there actually is anything more significant about them.
buzzingstar01

I dont think it has meaning to the rides name....but if you look at the 2 seperate pics..one of 6 runes and its text then them 8 runes and the extra text you can see it......im sure things will come clear in a few weeks....no probably months (scarefest) now :-) 
buzzingstar01

Im sorry not introduced myself....Im Jon from Manchester been here since sw7 days and didnt re register till days ago..Im used to be at the park about 5 times a year but only got there 2 times this year 
ilyAlton

lewis97 wrote:While I do think 'Be Chosen' is the most convincing speculated meaning of the symbols so far, there's also the chance that they have no specific meaning as such and are more just there to convey a certain theme. That said, it could be that they will play a more significant part in the marketing campaign as it progresses - I could see challenges to decipher runic messages in order to unlock content, for example.

Ultimately, the Resort know that plastering the symbols all over the SW8 page will have enthusiasts frantically trying to work out what they mean, regardless of whether there actually is anything more significant about them.
I think it does have meaning, if the 8 letter one stands for Be Chosen, and the 6 letter on is Chosen, the "E" symbol is the same for both - seems like too much of a coincidence to me.
Burrito

Chigaia wrote:Hate to disappoint people, but I went to the park today and there's 100% a gruffalo under that big tent/tarp thing.

There 110% isn't.  Also, the symbols have no meaning. They are merely mimicked Pagan Runes there to hint at the theme and catch people's attention. The rune symbols aren't legitimate though.
Distantsic

I found something quite interesting. If you go to the SW8 page (https://www.altontowers.com/sw8) and open the SW8 image in a new tab, the name of the photo is called plaque.png. Black Death? Dragons? Wickerman? I dont know anymore.

EDIT: I also found that the background image with all the symbols is called wood1.png, and yes, I did try wood2.png, but nothing there.
T0mPr1ce

Distantic, that says plaque (i.e. ornamental signage) not plague ;)