Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
simononestop

wow brilliant! cant seem to like posts anymore other wise I would have!
OhShambhala

That rendering has me very excited. This is very far ahead but does anyone ,who has been to previous opening days for the secret weapons, have any tips for getting one of the first trains? I would love to, however I'm not sure how things work on opening days for rides. 
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
Teammaddiz

OhShambhala wrote:That rendering has me very excited. This is very far ahead but does anyone ,who has been to previous opening days for the secret weapons, have any tips for getting one of the first trains? I would love to, however I'm not sure how things work on opening days for rides. 
I managed to get on The Swarm's second public train by waiting outside the park's  entrance an hour before opening, I think we were the second or third group waiting outside. Didn't manage first train as we were with somebody without a MAP so they took longer to pass through the turnstiles. In any event, getting outside the park an hour or half an hour before it opens will make it quite likely for you to get on one of the first few public trains.
Also, fantastic work by TheCodeMaster there on the recreation, although it may not be a world class woodie, it's certainly something that has been missing from Alton Tower's lineup since it opened so am more than happy to see the layout it has. Here's hoping that the theming extends beyond the single theming element, although looking at the station this does look to be the case!
jackf1tz

I think Merlin might have got a trick up their sleeves, lust look at all off their last major coasters, which have all been themed rather well, like th13teen, The Smiler and Oblivion : The Black Hole.
MakoMania

The Smiler is themed well? :?
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
jackf1tz

The projection room, station roof, exit corridor and marmalader are all theming. It might not be amazingly themed, especially in the queue Line, but by comparison, we have things like Rita in the same park, so it's clear Merlin have upped their game compared to when dic were in charge. I might not have a popular opinion, but the Smiler has my favourite theme on park, strengthened even more by an amazing theme tune by IMAScore. :moj
Robert.W

I guess some might disagree that The Smiler is themed well, and I also had this view until I actually rode the coaster and then for some reason, the theme sort of clicked... I mean, just look at the massive screens and moving elements it has.

Liam.W

jackf1tz wrote:The projection room, station roof,  exit corridor and marmalader are all theming.
Marmalader? That sounds tasty. Is it a food and beverage unit? 
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

ewoodier82

Liam.W wrote:
jackf1tz wrote:The projection room, station roof,  exit corridor and marmalader are all theming.
Marmalader? That sounds tasty. Is it a food and beverage unit? 
That would have been a great name for the queue line kiosk.
jackf1tz

May or may not have been having toast when I said that ;-)
TheDuke

Themeing is coming back now I think Merlin and other parks have realised how much it changes a ride. I'm excited to what queue like themeing this ride will have. I'd agree smiler has alot of themeing as the queue line fits its theme but themed ride is thirteen or hex at the current moment
Owen

Honestly I am very doubtful the queue will see any major theming. I am expecting that we will see the theming focused on the element, station, maintenance and drop tunnel. :)

It's also worth mentioning (as pointed out by Lewis to me) the creative lead for this is the same as Ghost Train and Sub-Terra (very reassuring), so I'd expect some kind of show scene or scenes throughout this attraction - possibly starting with a show in the pre-show, having a mid-ride scene in the drop tunnel and having an end in the maintenance bay...
jackf1tz

Owen wrote:Honestly I am very doubtful the queue will see any major theming. I am expecting that we will see the theming focused on the element, station, maintenance and drop tunnel. :)

It's also worth mentioning (as pointed out by Lewis to me) the creative lead for this is the same as Ghost Train and Sub-Terra (very reassuring)
That is very interesting, I'm starting to wonder whether VR or anything could be used, as both is those attractions have had a kind of gimmick. :-k

Is the pre show part of the coaster track or just the way in to the station?
Owen

The pre-show is before you enter the station. :)

I very much doubt that this will feature VR, the creative lead would be more in charge of the theme and theming around it which I'd argue Sub-Terra and Ghost Train are the best themed UK attractions merlin have installed at a park!
Melography

Burrito wrote:I know it's fun to speculate, but I think this is pretty much confirmed by many reliable sources as being Wicker/Pagan themed. 

Also, for those discussing the mystery behind the themed structure, I suggest looking at the plan again. 

Now, surely we can almost confirm that the plan is identical to this? Try and imagine it from an aerial perspective.

I've been lurking for ages - hello - but had to make an account to post my idea.

To me it looks more like a Minotaur - the wooden tracks being it's labyrinth that it's attempting to escape from, maybe?
Brett

I think we will see rock work for sure. What is on that rock however is yet to be seen. We all seem to be looking at the plans but did we all remember Smiler having only 7 inversions? These plans might not even be accurate to throw us off.
Owen

I might be remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure the plans have to be accurate for the flume site :)
Ben-

What happened to the theory of the theme being a dragon who moves the earth and protects the river (river rapids)?
In case I don't see ya good afternoon, good evening, and good night, ha ha

Formally bendaboss
Dan

bendaboss wrote:What happened to the theory of the theme being a dragon who moves the earth and protects the river (river rapids)?
That's the first I've heard of that theory :-k
Ladyofthelake

The Stoke Sentinel have published a column written by Ian Crabbe, in which he mentions SW8. Whilst it doesn't reveal anything new, SW8 is mentioned:
I also love to see the hard work and effort that goes into creating our new attractions come to fruition, with the biggest reward for us being the enjoyment we can bring to our guests through delivering memorable experiences for everyone.
Next year, of course, sees the opening of our latest blockbuster attraction, code named SW8….but please don't ask, because it's a secret.
I love the big rides and this one looks very different to anything else we have in our compendium of world beating rollercoasters – I'll definitely be the first in line to try it out when we open next year.
 Could this also point to the Resort aiming to have SW8 ready for opening day?