Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Justin

I'm convincing myself more. The terrain fits! Also, the Bodie link was very random and never really explained.
I'm getting into this!!!
Robert.W

I think you could be onto something with this theory, Justin! It would tie in well with both Gloomy Wood, where the ride is supposed to be located and also with Katanga Canyon.

MakoMania

It does make sense, I did bring up a possible link between Mine Tours and SW8 back in March (although not as detailed as Justin's) but I got shot down :lol

As for the ride itself, I remain unconvinced that the layout will deliver an exciting ride and all the theming in the world isn't going to change that. I hope I am pleasantly surprised, the project seems to be progressing at a high speed which is encouraging!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Nickolai

Tom170499 wrote:
Smiler313 wrote:Image
I am probably totally wrong, but don't you think that the SW8 sign and the Skin Snatchers logo look fairly similar in ways?  :sus:

They integrated some story and theme from The Sanctuary when designing the Smiler. I would have thought though, that the Merlin Team would have thought of a different way to tease and market their woodie. Both images just connected in my minds however this could be wrong, but I thought it was worth a say!  :D
Whilst I do find it unlikely, we could see the creation of a new area as previously rumoured. Perhaps Altonville?
Imagine if we have got this in the bag from a year ago? :sus:
Formally Smiler313
TheDuke

I really really enjoy this, I think honestly it could be the bodie setting that being said the fins on the themeing do look animalistic and they're certainly covering it because it'll give away what the themeing is. I think its definitely in katanga however but I do entertain the idea that it may be in gloomy wood and its a monster but thats very very unlikely
Dom

Whislt I agree its a great theory, i'm still not convinced. I would like to think it would be as obvious as that, but this is Merlin/Alton Towers. They like to keep things secretive, which is very annoying. I'm just not convinced that they would give us such a full blown obvious link this early
Justin

Nothing is obvious. :D To me, everyone seems to have taken the Wickerman idea and it is nice to look into another :-k

Wicker, Altonville or something completely different, I think we are all in for even more speculation over the next couple of months. I certainly enjoyed looking into it further yesterday and I'd encourage anyone to look deeper into the planning documents and reports further as it makes interesting reading. However, I am not set on one idea and I'll be happy with what ever Alton Towers announce as it'll be another coaster.  :D
jackf1tz

This is all just a big coverup. SW8 is the return of Mexican Cantina!
Burrito

I know it's fun to speculate, but I think this is pretty much confirmed by many reliable sources as being Wicker/Pagan themed. 

Also, for those discussing the mystery behind the themed structure, I suggest looking at the plan again. 

Now, surely we can almost confirm that the plan is identical to this? Try and imagine it from an aerial perspective.

Adam.W

pretty much confirmed by many reliable sources as being Wicker/Pagan themed.
What sources? The only semi-official confirmation that I remember seeing is something by one of the construction firms being involved in the construction of the ride some time last year. That's hardly reliable in my opinion though, they'd be on a need to know basis and wouldn't have leaked it so blatantly.
Jcoaster

Burrito wrote:I know it's fun to speculate, but I think this is pretty much confirmed by many reliable sources as being Wicker/Pagan themed. 

Also, for those discussing the mystery behind the themed structure, I suggest looking at the plan again. 

Now, surely we can almost confirm that the plan is identical to this? Try and imagine it from an aerial perspective.

I think the plans for the theming structure are strikingly similar to the image you posted underneath. However I don't really know whether Towers would use an IP for a secret weapon.
Owen

People do realise the wickerman thing has been going far longer than the films that reference them right?

'Wicker man' doesn't equal IP! :P
Burrito

Owen is correct, Wicker man doesn't necessarily mean IP.  Make no mistake about it, this will be Wicker/Pagan themed. Watch this space, and if I'm wrong you can all throw rotten tomatoes at me ;) 
Owen

Burrito wrote:if I'm wrong you can all throw rotten tomatoes at me ;) 
Surely rotten burritos would be more fitting? :-k
MakoMania

Owen wrote:
Burrito wrote:if I'm wrong you can all throw rotten tomatoes at me ;) 
Surely rotten burritos would be more fitting? :-k
Nah, unlike tomatoes everyone's eaten them before they go rotten :P
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Burrito

Yeah, who would willingly leave a burrito to rot? Too delicious for that ;)
TheCodeMaster

I have updated my rendering of SW8 Significantly since the last update, and have included trees placed in the locations the planning application stated, I think it's going to fit in rather nicely with the area.

I even created a projected G-Force graph for the ride (Blue is Positive/Negative G, Red is Acceleration G, Green is Lateral G, Black is Speed, Yellow is Height)
Your not so local California Resident.
Aidan Lowe

Excellent work TheCodeMaster
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Robert.W

Amazing recreation! Shows an incredibly accurate prediction of what we can all expect in 2018!

Nickolai

Wow that's mind blowing. Honestly I am more excited for SW8 than ever before.
Formally Smiler313