Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
bensaund

Makes sense to keep the sound level down
Tom170499

swfcjambo wrote:Has anyone else looked at the construction so far, and noticed that there appears to be a lot of woodwork above where the track bed is?almost as if they're planning to add a roof over the track?
They are. The plans show that there will be sound tunnels along the first drop.
Capt.Barnacles

Regarding the discussion on the lift system, upon further investigation I've noticed Gold Striker has an identical platform at the top of its lift, which IS for the chain return. TheCodeMaster (who lives in California not far from CGA) also confirmed that Striker has an identical concrete structure, once again, for the lift motor.

I know the planning application is saying 'LSM lift', but I'm merely speculating based on the evidence put before me IRL, and comparing to other GCIs.
ATI

^I completely agree with you. I think people are misunderstand the silent magnetic lift hill proposal. I believe it will be like the smiler, in that it is chain driven but will have silent, magnetic anti-rollbacks.
We were born to fly...
Adam.W

Another point brought up in the construction thread is the German flag on top of the lift hill. I think this could either be related to the person/people behind designing the ride or it's technology, or the people involved in manufacturing the ride.

The manufacturers I could find which are based in Germany are:
Art Engineering (magnetic brakes only)
Gerstlauer
Mack
Maurer
Zierer (magnetic brakes only)

All of these manufacturers have used magnetic systems in their rides before, so any of them are possible really. Merlin has worked with all of these companies before, with the exception of Art Engineering.
Capt.Barnacles

Someone I spoke to had the idea that the German company involved are in fact not a coaster manufacturing company at all. The three countries' companies I'm expecting to be involved from it are 

USA: Great Coasters International (ride manufacturer)
Germany: This company right here, which have the exclusive marketing rights for GCI in Europe and therefore would be the company that actually made the deal for SW8
UK: Merlin Magic Making, Alton Towers Resort.
Georgie

That same company seems to work for Mack too!  Guess that explains Wodan...
And yeah, the magnetic anti-rollback would make more sense since it is usually the anti-rollbacks that make more noise than the chain itself.  Does make me wonder: if there's no launch, will it have a USP?  As many have mentioned before, I don't think it needs one - get rid of the tagline at the end of the Smiler advert and it still works effectively at selling the ride.
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
Bert

I think the LSM launch is another Washing Machine element...
[Insert Signature Here]
Owen

Thrill Nation have posted this image to Facebook, showing what looks to be the SW8 Big Six QR code location!

Capt.Barnacles

Haha! Wondering when someone would post it! Found that weeks ago, it's cleverly hidden, away from all the viewing windows so not somewhere people are inclined to look. I haven't scanned it yet, probably going to next time I'm there with Towers recently stating they're 'anticipating to have Galactica reopened very soon'. Let's hope they've sorted out whatever issues they had!
Dom

Capt. Barnacles wrote:Haha! Wondering when someone would post it! Found that weeks ago, it's cleverly hidden, away from all the viewing windows so not somewhere people are inclined to look. I haven't scanned it yet, probably going to next time I'm there with Towers recently stating they're 'anticipating to have Galactica reopened very soon'. Let's hope they've sorted out whatever issues they had!
And yet you didn't share its location. How selfish :lol
I am right in assuming that all this talk of it not being a launch is because of a piece of wood being located where a normal chain lift motor thingy would be?
Here's an interesting idea, what if it uses both a chain and launch. A chain to get the car to the less steep bit and then a launch? Is that possible?
Capt.Barnacles

Wouldn't want to ruin the fun of finding it ;) 

The chain theory is now coming from two pieces of evidence we have before us, the platform at the top of the lift utilised for a chain return gear on other GCIs, and the concrete structure halfway down the lift, which again, is present on other GCIs and is the foundation for the lift motor housing. I'm no longer basing my theories on words written on a planning application so much as the real life structures put before us and comparing it to other coasters made by GCI. I'm aware I'm defying the popular theory at this point and some close friends already know I'm 100% willing to admit I'm wrong if it's not what I believe :)
Jacko11111

Probably already spotted this, but Merlin have issued a trademark for the name "Rise of the Demon". 

Here's the link.
Tom170499

Jacko11111 wrote:Probably already spotted this, but Merlin have issued a trademark for the name "Rise of the Demon". 

Here's the link.
Wasn't this for Derren Brown's Ghost Train? 
Dom

Jacko11111 wrote:Probably already spotted this, but Merlin have issued a trademark for the name "Rise of the Demon". 

Here's the link.
Rise of the Demon has already been confirmed to be for Derren Brown's Ghost Train and has already opened and has nothing to do with SW8 :) 
Jacko11111

Ah fair enough. Did not cover DBGT much so would not know  ](*,)
Robert.W

It'll still be interesting to watch out for any other trademarks Merlin create though

Owen

Based on previous attractions, I wouldn't anticipate any trademarks for at least a month minimum, and even then I'd anticipate the trademark will be somewhat difficult to find. :)
Robert.W

I guess... but if any happen to be found, it could give us a better idea of SW8's theme

MakoMania

I'm still leaning towarda it being a Wicker Man theme (maybe linked to the IP, maybe not) with the trade mark already having been filed.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]