Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
xylyx

Tis strange I got that little kick of excitement when the new image popped up. However I do suspect that it's just showing that the ride will be a Woodie. They have reused ground breaking which could just be being cost effective so they didn't have to rethink the sign. However it could be significant........:p
fillc85

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just found the above video on YouTube, Could this be a possibility for SW8? The video is a couple years old but with the advancements in tech since then, launches etc. Could be an option and it is GCI
lewis97
Admin
Admin

An application for the trademark 'The Wicker Man' has been filed by Lane IP (the company who are usually Merlin's representative on trademark applications), which could be related to SW8 given that it’s been mentioned in relation to it previously when a contractor posted images of The Flume’s deconstruction.

Although Lane IP Limited, and not Merlin Attractions Operations Limited, are registered as the owner, a similar approach was taken with the 'Ghost Train' and ‘Derail your Mind’ trademarks with ownership transferred to Merlin once the attraction was announced/open to reduce the chances of people finding it prematurely. The potential of this being for Merlin (and possibly SW8) is also increased with the classifications it has (25, 35, 41) matching with previous trademarks that Merlin have filed for their attractions.

If anything, it’s certainly very intriguing and something further to speculate about as the 2017 season approaches…
Liam.W

Interesting! Although do you not think it may be a little early for names to have been decided? In my opinion, 'The Wicker Man' sounds more like a scare attraction than a rollercoaster. And if it is a scare attraction, I think it would most likely be associated with SW8
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

MakoMania

It may be too early to decide on a final name (although there's no reason why they couldn't have), but they will certainly have some potential names flying around the MMM offices by now.

SeaWorld submitted two trade mark applications for Mako, one obviously being 'Mako' and the other being 'Reef Hunter'. So they could submit another application further down the line and use that as the name for SW8.

The Wicker Man does suggest a dark theme though, which I don't mind but some may have a problem with.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
S.J_O'Grady

I certainly don't what a dark theme, as I've mentioned already. But especially if it's going to be a family coaster. I don't want any repeats of Th13teen, terrifying children with its sinister adverts and turning out to be almost as tame as Mine Train.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Liam.W

I'd much prefer a dark theme, purely because lighter themes are hard to pull off without it looking tacky in my opinion.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Bert

Well that lowers the fact of a 'World's First' element and the fact it will have some great theming as it is an IP. But I fear the park haven't learnt there lesson with TH13TEEN...
[Insert Signature Here]
Stan.H

S.J_O'Grady wrote:I certainly don't what a dark theme, as I've mentioned already. But especially if it's going to be a family coaster. I don't want any repeats of Th13teen, terrifying children with its sinister adverts and turning out to be almost as tame as Mine Train.
I strongly disagree to that, yes it was over hyped. But I'd choose TH13TEEN over the RMT anyday, theming, airtime (without trims), the drop and just a unique ride - not a generic Mine Train with hardly any theming, and a puff of smoke at the luckiest of time!! :D

Adding to that, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI2oS2hoL0k (think I've said that before), but I'll leave that there, and set your minds wild!! :D
Sawboss

The Wicker Man, you say? No wasp traps in the summer, so people will run around screaming 'not the bees!'.
TheDuke

MakoMania wrote:It may be too early to decide on a final name (although there's no reason why they couldn't have), but they will certainly have some potential names flying around the MMM offices by now.

SeaWorld submitted two trade mark applications for Mako, one obviously being 'Mako' and the other being 'Reef Hunter'. So they could submit another application further down the line and use that as the name for SW8.

The Wicker Man does suggest a dark theme though, which I don't mind but some may have a problem with.
Indeed its far to early for them to have a name chances are they're just talking trademarks for possible names now or its for another ride but it could be the name.

As far as the theme I'm hoping for an adventure theme thats not dark as I dont think a dark theme, as much as I prefer them would suit katanga.

Also thirteen in my opinion is a fantastic ride and it was advertised with consideration to its theme which the ads did well but not so much towards all demographics.
Ladyofthelake

I'm certainly intrigued about this as a possible theme. I don't necessarily think the ride will be called 'The Wicker Man', however I do think it could well feature in some way. What will be interesting if they do go ahead and use the Wicker Man theme will be how they use it. There are a few different uses of a Wicker man, one of which is African based which could fit with the other speculation of a tribal theme.
theparklifekid

To be honest, I really like dark themed rides and when I first heard about the possibility of a wicker man theme, I was like "Dam, thats an excellent theme I never would have thought of." Mostly because of how messed up the idea of a wicker man is I think this would be a cool theme.

Yes, people felt betrayed about how Th13teen turned out based on the ads, but those ads did work out well for the parks attendance numbers and that is something Alton Towers needs currently, so I wouldn't mind if this trick was done again. (Also can we all agree that those Th13teen ads were awesome?)
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
TheDuke

theparklifekid wrote: but those ads did work out well for the parks attendance numbers and that is something Alton Towers needs currently, so I wouldn't mind if this trick was done again. (Also can we all agree that those Th13teen ads were awesome?)

Couldn't agree more and as I said above the ads did advertise the overall theme of the ride perfectly
OhShambhala

Maybe the Wickerman trademark is for a tagline for the attraction like 'Rita: Queen Of Speed'? To give an example, '*insert dramatic sounding name*: Fear the Wickerman' or something along those lines?
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
S.J_O'Grady

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love dark themes, they are in fact my favourite! My complaint is that the "Alton Towers Magic" seem somewhat lost when the main attractions are all themed around deaths, apocalypses, and sinister machines! They're great, but there are 5 of them, and only one happy one. :D
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Sawboss

Maybe it's not a dark theme and it's just about a guy who weaves a lot of baskets?
Adz
Admin
Admin

One of the things that has been overlooked is the company that were demolishing The Flume posted on Facebook they were clearing the area for "the wickerman ride".

Now we have this. :)
TheDuke

Adz wrote:One of the things that has been overlooked is the company that were demolishing The Flume posted on Facebook they were clearing the area for "the wickerman ride".

Now we have this. :)
Very interesting, didnt know that then again could just be an early working title
theparklifekid

Someone should send a DM or a tweet to to the park saying "So, how's The Wicker Man coming on?" Just to see if they get any reaction.

On a side note, if you go to the wikipedia page for the wicker man and scroll to the bottom, someones edited a "Possible Rollercoaster" onto it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wicker_Man
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!