Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Owen

Seeing as it's out there now, Mechanica was indeed what I was referring to. It's a shame as that would have looked fitting in its expected location but like said - back on topic! :lol

I am happy to see that all the soil being removed is going back into the park for improvements. Killing two birds with one stone seems to be a great way for Alton to be going as it should mean that the park can improve for less cost.
Ryan.B

Mechanica is in my top 3 flats :| shame,wouod have been a great addition to towers.
Count-Vonduel

So have we disused weather or not SW8 has an inversion yet?
Tom170499

Count-Vonduel wrote:So have we disused weather or not SW8 has an inversion yet?
I don't think there's one per say on the plans but one could easily be hidden, just like with The Smiler.

I imagine if there was to be one, it could be an inline twist in the straight section after the lift hill and first corner.
Adz
Admin
Admin

Going back to the theming discussion. Unless something has changed dramatically during the design process I would expect something very tribal and somewhat mystical.

MakoMania

Exactly my thoughts Adz, a tribal Wicker Man theme could be fantastic!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
OhShambhala

I think SW8 will be Merlins chance to prove they can do great theming when they want to. In recent years we have seen great theming from Merlin in Derren Browns Ghost Train, the midway attractions such as the Dungeons and Sea Life, The Swarm and even the Smiler to some extent.

Due to the small size of the coaster, the actual ride system should only cost around £2.5 million- £4 million looking at coasters of a similar size by GCI (White Lightning etc). I'd guess an additional £2-£3 million if this ride features a launch. This leaves around £6-£8 million for theming alone if you consider marketing within the rumoured £15 million budget.

£8 million can go along way with theming, and with the large theming structures and pre-show on the plans, this makes me think this could be Merlins first incredibly themed coaster.

A tribal or spiritual theme would be really fitting for this project, a theme which Alton lacks.
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
TheDuke

OhShambhala wrote:.Due to the small size of the coaster, the actual ride system should only cost around £2.5 million- £4 million looking at coasters of a similar size by GCI (White Lightning etc). I'd guess an additional £2-£3 million if this ride features a launch. This leaves around £6-£8 million for theming alone if you consider marketing within the rumoured £15 million budget.
Very true and I agree with you but a sum of that money will also go towards landscaping which other coasters may not have, that aside I'm looking for some great themeing
Ladyofthelake

TheDuke wrote:
OhShambhala wrote:.Due to the small size of the coaster, the actual ride system should only cost around £2.5 million- £4 million looking at coasters of a similar size by GCI (White Lightning etc). I'd guess an additional £2-£3 million if this ride features a launch. This leaves around £6-£8 million for theming alone if you consider marketing within the rumoured £15 million budget.
Very true and I agree with you but a sum of that money will also go towards landscaping which other coasters may not have, that aside I'm looking for some great themeing
Just remember that the £15 million figure we know about so far is purely for the construction of the ride, therefore that figure will not account for any budget allocated towards marketing and promotion as explained in the TowersTimes article from last November:
Also contained within the submitted details is confirmation of a £15 million cost for the construction of the ride. However, it is perhaps important to note that this figure will not include the cost of promotion or marketing of the ride and therefore will not be representative of the total investment for SW8.
Nickolai

If it is for construction for the coaster then I think it isnt just your average family woodie...
Formally Smiler313
Owen

Smiler313 wrote:If it is for construction for the coaster then I think it isnt just your average family woodie...
This may include deconstruction costs, not to mention the tech used in the launch hill will be a first for Alton and GCI so that may be what we have a large figure for. Fingers crossed theming will be quite heavy and that's where a decent amount will go to as well! :)
xylyx

Due to the size of that excavation and all the work that is needed to uproot the flume in the more sensitive woodland areas I suspect a bulk of that will indeed be due to the groundwork rather than the ride exclusively. However that is a nice big chunk of money, hopefully enough will go to the ride to give us a fantastic ride.
Dan

Owen wrote:This may include deconstruction costs, not to mention the tech used in the launch hill will be a first for Alton and GCI
*rumoured* launch
MakoMania

Dan wrote:
Owen wrote:This may include deconstruction costs, not to mention the tech used in the launch hill will be a first for Alton and GCI
*rumoured* launch
Well it will use launch technology even if it is powered at 2mph so technically..................

tcw1993

Owen wrote:
Smiler313 wrote:If it is for construction for the coaster then I think it isnt just your average family woodie...
This may include deconstruction costs, not to mention the tech used in the launch hill will be a first for Alton and GCI so that may be what we have a large figure for. Fingers crossed theming will be quite heavy and that's where a decent amount will go to as well! :)
That is a very accurate point about deconstruction. It is EXTREMELY expensive to have things demolished as all materials have to be separated into metal, plastic etc so with the flume being such a long ride it wouldn't surprise me if that ate into the budgets massively

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
i love sub terra. By the looks of it, the only one.
MakoMania

Well presumably Th13teen's cost included deconstructing and scrapping Corkscrew, which came to £12 million. I realise inflation has a part to play but still, SW8 will still cost more. The flume may cost a little more to deconstruct as it is a larger ride, so the actual ride hardware and building costs of Th13teen and SW8 should be fairly similar with SW8 just being a little more expensive perhaps.
Dan

MakoMania wrote:Well it will use launch technology even if it is powered at 2mph so technically..................

I'm well aware that it's using launch technology for the lift however if the sole reason for doing so is to make the lift incline silent then I'm sorry but it just isn't a launch.
Owen

MakoMania wrote:Well presumably Th13teen's cost included deconstructing and scrapping Corkscrew, which came to £12 million. I realise inflation has a part to play but still, SW8 will still cost more. The flume may cost a little more to deconstruct as it is a larger ride, so the actual ride hardware and building costs of Th13teen and SW8 should be fairly similar with SW8 just being a little more expensive perhaps.
The landscaping for SW8 is far more in depth compared to 13, as well as the flume being more awkward to remove as really the Corkscrew was just plonked there :lol. Also take into account the fact they will be repopulating the wood behind SW8 with trees!

At the end of the day I personally don't believe we will see anything drastically different to what we already know, and I'm ok with that. Cost is really something that we shouldn't look too far into as the way it will be spent will be vastly different from one project to the next, and whilst it may give us some idea of how much is being poured into it that still doesn't help with knowing why. Based on what we know I would say a decent chunk was spent on the landscaping and deconstruction costs, however honestly I don't see this surpassing TH13TEEN on the hardware costs asthat drop element cost them a small fortune based on what has been said in the past :lol

All this being said, who knows! Now for the real excitement of construction to start... :P
Dan wrote:I'm well aware that it's using launch technology for the lift however if the sole reason for doing so is to make the lift incline silent then I'm sorry but it just isn't a launch.
To set all arguments aside, shall we just settle on saying its a "propulsion"? :lol
Dom

Owen wrote:
Dan wrote:I'm well aware that it's using launch technology for the lift however if the sole reason for doing so is to make the lift incline silent then I'm sorry but it just isn't a launch.
To set all arguments aside, shall we just settle on saying its a "propulsion"? :lol
No! I will not settle on propulsion. Its too fancy a word :lol

But in all seriousness i'm really looking forward to seeing this be built and then to see it in person next year. After all these years AT are finally getting a woody, and despite the fact its not the cross valley that so many people were hoping its still a freakin' woody!!

As for cost, I'm sure they have a plan of what the money is actually going to spent on and which part etc, so its not really something we should be that worried about it. It ent our money (Although technically it is, All those nitrogenie's we've had has got to have somewhat paid for a plank at least).
OhShambhala

Dom wrote:
Owen wrote:
No! I will not settle on propulsion. Its too fancy a word :lol

But in all seriousness i'm really looking forward to seeing this be built and then to see it in person next year. After all these years AT are finally getting a woody, and despite the fact its not the cross valley that so many people were hoping its still a freakin' woody!!

As for cost, I'm sure they have a plan of what the money is actually going to spent on and which part etc, so its not really something we should be that worried about it. It ent our money (Although technically it is, All those nitrogenie's we've had has got to have somewhat paid for a plank at least).
I think a full on launch is still viable. I have a feeling the first turn around in the plans will be more of a curved drop like Troy or White Lightning to deal with those laterals :lol ,but maybe a bit more drawn out
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!