Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
MakoMania

I don't think it's much to do with the manufacturer but rather the no limits povs that have been released that make the coaster look tame and boring. As ever though, plans can be altered so it's possible it could be better than those recreations. I think they'll have a hard job beating BPB's 2018 coaster though.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Capt.Barnacles

See I'm potentially disagreeing here. Having had a closer look at the layout for the BPB MACK coaster, it certainly looks like it's not going to live up to some of the other megacoasters out there like Helix and the Blue Fire clones. So whilst we're looking at one of the weaker MACK coasters, SW8 could surprise us all with something. We'll just have to see.
MakoMania

Yeah, it doesn't look as good as Helix, Blue Fire I'm not sure. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and personally the BPB coaster looks very much like my kind of ride, but I'm sure SW8 has not revealed all it has to offer yet either :)
OhShambhala

I feel like SW8 will be a dark horse. The plans aren't showing us everything and if the rumours of a launch are true, this could be a world class coaster!
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
Owen

Burniel wrote:With the general excitement around the topic, I would say that we haven't really had much to get excited about since we had the plans and planning permission. I'm sure the topic will get far busier once the season starts and people will be watching construction for themselves regularly.
However like I said previously, SW8 is far further along in its construction than The Smiler was at the same time in 2012. The Black Hole tent was still standing even into February yet the attraction was getting over 100 times the amount of posts per day. SW8 has had an entire attraction removed and is moving into its landscaping. In regards to all we have us the plans, that's exactly my point. We need to have something else put out on mainstream social media platforms not only so that enthusiasts can begin with the mindless speculation that generally fuels the excitement for Merlin attractions (e.g. FINS!) and the public can actually find out that something is coming to the resort, as right now all they see is "SW8. Groundbreaking new development." and a beloved attraction has been removed. Fingers crossed the incredible marketing work from The Smiler and Ghost Train is brought through as this seems to work very effectively.

I'd like to clarify that this isn't a reflection of how good I think SW8 looks, I think the attraction will be nice but at this point MMXVIII is doing a far superior job of building excitement and that's a fact that no one can argue with. Having regular construction updates (and posting them publically) is a fantastic move from Blackpool as it's managing to capture interest not only through the UK but even in the US, whereas SW8 has barely stretched out to the south of the UK if we are honest we ourselves.

My main point is I really think Alton need to start with even some subtle Tweets about the ride because right now I, and I'm sure many others, are more excited for MMXVIII and Blackpool who are in direct competition with them at this point.
MakoMania

In the below article Nick Thompson, deputy Managing Director at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, talks about how Construction 2018 and SW8 will combine to benefit both Alton Towers and BPB as well as the wider UK theme park industry as happened back in 1994 with Nemesis and The Big One:

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/ ... -1-8382766" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MakoMania

Do people really realistically think that this ride could have a launch or are we making things up in a fantasy world? I suppose the magnetic lift system could be a hint, but that first corner looks quite tight to be taken at much speed.

It would be a first for GCI but would give Merlin their much loved USP of Europe's first launched wooden coaster. (If I'm not forgetting anything, would any sort of magnetic lift system would be a first for GCI?)
Burniel

I'm fairly sure I've also raised concerns about the impracticality of a launch at some point. I just don't see it being practical, due to that corner as you rightly say, but it nevertheless seems clear that the plans we have do not show the full extent of the coaster - where's the secret element? (Being kept a secret I suppose :P)

The only way I can see a launch being possible is if the plans are hiding the existence of additional track which does not head straight around the corner (perhaps a curved drop?), but even then I question whether the launch could truly be anything huge given the tightness of the layout in places and the family orientation of this project.

The excuse given for the magnetic lift - that it is to reduce noise - is, in my opinion, valid and I see no reason to look much further into it for now, other than marking it down as a wild possibility. After all, there's also going to be extensive tunnels to reduce noise, proving that such precautions are necessary.

As it is, the launch theory is just a "washing machine" to me.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
OhShambhala

I wonder when the park starts giving us minor advertisements and teases. When did marketing kick in for The Smiler?
Ryan.B

The thing with the launch is the lift technology is technically a 'launch' so they could genuinely market it as one even if it's travelling at something like 10mph
Burniel

OhShambhala wrote:I wonder when the park starts giving us minor advertisements and teases. When did marketing kick in for The Smiler?
The first major marketing point was when the SW7 minisite launched on 11th April 2012, so I would expect something similar within the next three months.

Full-on marketing and teasers didn't being until September 2012 and the name of the ride wasn't announced until January 2013, but we do, of course, have to remember that they were experiencing delays.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
MakoMania

Also, we should have new banners around the construction site in March so they may act as teasers as well and might give a better indication of the theme.

I still think this whole Wicker Man thing sounds interesting, it could be made to fit into either Mutiny Bay or Katanga Canyon.
Themeparkinternational

If this is a launch coaster wouldn't it be the first in the world :-k because Lightning Rod isn't a true woodie?
OhShambhala

Themeparkinternational wrote:If this is a launch coaster wouldn't it be the first in the world :-k because Lightning Rod isn't a true woodie?
To some people Lightning Rod is classed as a full wooden coaster which might make things difficult as Alton need to be extra careful on advertising something which is arguably false.
Twinklepark

"World's first roller coaster fully dedicated to being made out of wood, with a launch"
OhShambhala

Twinklepark wrote:"World's first roller coaster fully dedicated to being made out of wood, with a launch"
That would be horrendous. I hope Merlin don't do something like that, although it hasn't stopped them before... ;)
TheBeast

That would be absolutely brilliant if they actually named it that! Although I do doubt that the ride will have much overlap with the BPB ride. The two parks wouldn't want to interfere with each other, instead bring out two different rides that seem in no way similar- thats the way i read the article posted above. I doubt we will see a launch on the woodie because of the wear upon the track pieces, or have i missed something here?
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
MakoMania

I doubt wear on the track would be much different to any other high speed wooden coaster, the only difference is using magnets to accelerate the train instead of gravity. I believe GCI have said in the past that they are open to doing launches.
OhShambhala

Who else is thinking first day of the 2018 season for opening day? Construction seems to be moving at quite a rapid pace compared to the Smiler which was a considerbaly larger coaster, construction 18 also seems to be moving ahead quickly and it would be interesting to see if Blackpool and Alton open their coasters on the same weekend.
MakoMania

OhShambhala wrote:Who else is thinking first day of the 2018 season for opening day? Construction seems to be moving at quite a rapid pace compared to the Smiler which was a considerbaly larger coaster, construction 18 also seems to be moving ahead quickly and it would be interesting to see if Blackpool and Alton open their coasters on the same weekend.
I think opening day 2018 is a reasonable target for SW8's opening day however with Construction 2018 it's worth remembering that they are not going to be installing any steel for the coaster until November, and there's a lot of track to put in, so that may open sometime around May 2018.