Wicker Man - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Altontowersbarlow

I am going to avoid talking about the actual ride layout because I'm still unsure whether I'm disappointed or that it will be short but sweet, so I'm going to talk about the ride experience and reasoning instead.I am pleased that SW8 will be located in Katanga Canyon, as it is a fairly low-key area of the park that hasn't really been invested in in terms of attractions since its opening, so it makes sense to develop this area. Although wooden roller-coasters are not my favourite coaster type, it is nice that the park have recognised that a big steel roller coaster may look slightly out of place in an African area, and by using natural materials for the coaster and related buildings, it will enhance the areas theme not hinder it. It will also deliver a completely different ride experience for guests.

In regards to storyline, they've already covered mining and rivers, so I would like to see something a little bit more original and different to the African stereotypes seen in many theme parks. I cant express enough how much I hope it will be an authentic and immersive experience with a linked pre-show, station show and theming elements throughout the ride. Id also like the theming to be quite detailed, with little pieces of theming and effects that subtly immerse you. Because I feel like the parks theming is fairly decent but more-"in your face" than detailed. For example, The Smiler has an amazing themed centre piece, but the rest is effectively white walls,so its impressive to look at but not immersive or atmospheric. Id hope for good planting and landscaping, detailed themed structures, little theming elements hidden away and other small pieces of design to tie the whole ride area together. It would also be nice if the creative team could tie the new rides story with the rest of Katanga Canyon and express this in the pre-show (or in another form), so it has some purpose and gives Katanga Canyon an extra layer of atmosphere and magic. Hopefully this would create an all-round entertaining attraction.

My final hope would be that Katanga Canyon is given some attention and refurbishment during the closed season before the new ride is opened, maybe with some new plants, a few new theming elements, new or improved audio and a new design on the park map to really give Katanga Canyon some new- life. Katanga Canyon has the most potential out of any area of the park to be a flagship area in my opinion, and this new attraction is a good opportunity to sprinkle some attention and magic and allow it to reach its full potential.

Either way, it is a very exciting development as any major ride always is. (despite many disagreeing, I would like to see a little bit of quirkiness or a unique element in the ride experience somewhere, be this merely a set of effects or something more, just to slightly distract from the fact its a cute little guy ;) :lol )
Evostance

I really hope there is no retheme to another dark/sinister area, they need to chill out with that theme.

I do wish they'd pay more attention to detail for theming though. I know they haven't got Disney budget, but some authentic facades would really fit in, instead of the cheap signage and fast food hatches and games stuck in every possible gap..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Azi889

I could see the Mine theming working well within Katanga canyon, will this be a link to the pre-show building do we think it could be some sort of going down the mine shaft video, then the sound tunnels could be disguised as mine shafts? This would look good.

I was suprised that this ride was going to be Katanga canyon as the flume always felt like it was more towards the mutiny Bay Area of the park (and it would be good for mutiny bay to have a main ride & pull like katanga has the rapids and the mine train).

Either way looking forward to seeing how the construction pans out. The flume will definitley be missed especially on hot days - do we think that there could be some water element to this ride? Looking forward to seeing if the trains are something special too and not the conventional woodie trains :)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

As posted on TowersTimes Facebook, revised plans have been uploaded for SW8. The most notable change being to the main building that was shown on the initial plans, with it now being split up into distinct buildings for the pre-show, station/maintenance area and shop, as well as a 'Comms/Data Building'. There have also been some modifications to the queue-line layouts, with some slight changes to that of the main queue and more significant changes to the disabled/fastrack queues with them now going around the perimeter of the ride area instead of above the track like before, perhaps somewhat disappointing as this could have offered some nice off-ride views as well as potential head-choppers.

NemesisRider

I'm hoping this is just design changes, not budget cuts, as SW8 needs to be great to bring Alton back into the spotlight. If it is cuts, I don't who why they need them, as GCI's are notoriously reasonably priced :P
Tom170499

NemesisRider wrote:I'm hoping this is just design changes, not budget cuts, as SW8 needs to be great to bring Alton back into the spotlight. If it is cuts, I don't who why they need them, as GCI's are notoriously reasonably priced :P
Perhaps it's to invest in some fully immersive theming?

But then again, this is Merlin... :roll:
Jack

Tom170499 wrote: But then again, this is Merlin... :roll:
Yes, this is Merlin, who just opened the UK's best themed ride at Thorpe Park...
Gravity

Tom170499 wrote:
NemesisRider wrote:I'm hoping this is just design changes, not budget cuts, as SW8 needs to be great to bring Alton back into the spotlight. If it is cuts, I don't who why they need them, as GCI's are notoriously reasonably priced :P
Perhaps it's to invest in some fully immersive theming?

But then again, this is Merlin... :roll:
And it might just simply be some slight redesigns in order to adapt for some unforeseen details, not affecting anything at all from a ride experience standpoint.

I also really don't understand the hate on Merlin? Is it based on actual verifiable facts, or just the fact that people generally need something to complain about?
Tom170499

Jack wrote:
Yes, this is Merlin, who just opened the UK's best themed ride at Thorpe Park...
In your opinion yes.

My point is that in the last few years, Merlin's coasters haven't been as well themed as they could have been. The Smiler for instance, the concept art showed the amazing potential for the station and indoor queue but all we got was some projected images (which are often off or not working to full extent) and some white walls with a bit of writing.

In my opinion Merlin could do better with theming.
Teammaddiz

On the "Site Plan Setup & Demolitions" attachment, The Flume queueline bridge leading to the station along with steps going down to the old turntable are shown but the plans do not indicate that they are being removed. Although the canopy has been placed over the top, they could be planning on integrating the control room and old bridge walkway in the new coaster, as if the structures were to be removed a yellow box with red border would be placed over the top of them on the plans. I may be missing here, but it would be interesting to see what they would do with the old structure if they were to keep it, perhaps celebrating the old Flume ride for example. Image:
Spoiler
Vladimir Bobinski

Jack wrote:
Having just visited Efteling last week "UK best themed" really doesn't set high expectations for me anymore.
Jack

I think everyone needs to stop assuming Merlin are awful, and that they don't do theming, and that they are lazy, as that is far from the truth. I have a lot of hope that SW8 will at least be well themed due to Merlins recent history with Saw, Thirteen, The Swarm, The Smiler, and of course Derren Browns Ghost Train that has enough quality to rival some of the biggest names in the industry.

Merlins track record with theming since they took over in 2007 is nothing but promising, and although I doubt SW8 will be the best thing at Alton Towers, let alone the UK, the theming will hopefully be on par with anything Merlin have done despite the less impressive building we have been shown in this new plan. :)
Nickolai

Remember, we haven't seen the huge theming elements yet! :)
I do have high hopes for SW8 as DBGT was done well by Merlin. I do hope as well as doing large scale sections of theming, they prioritise the smaller scale, more intricate theming as much too. I can't wait to see what the theming plans reveal!
Formally Smiler313
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I understand that one of the theming features indicated on the plans is just The Flume's station canopy, which could be a little underwhelming depending on what they do with it.
Owen

Honestly people just need to stop being so serious about this at this point. Firstly the attraction hasn't even been officially confirmed (although it will be). Secondly the attraction isn't opening for over a year and a half and thirdly, it's just a ride! There really no need to start assuming if the ride will be heavily themed or not and getting into silly arguments over it is there. :P

Granted other GCI attractions look far superior such as Mystic Timbers, but at the end of the day it's something new for Alton and something more to do, so this is a positive no matter how the attraction turns out. :)
Altontowersbarlow

Owen wrote:Honestly people just need to stop being so serious about this at this point. Firstly the attraction hasn't even been officially confirmed (although it will be). Secondly the attraction isn't opening for over a year and a half and thirdly, it's just a ride! There really no need to start assuming if the ride will be heavily themed or not and getting into silly arguments over it is there. :P

Granted other GCI attractions look far superior such as Mystic Timbers, but at the end of the day it's something new for Alton and something more to do, so this is a positive no matter how the attraction turns out. :)
I agree with you mostly and that there certainly is no point arguing about a ride that is likely to be altered and changed with nothing yet to be confirmed. However this shouldn't just be "a ride". Alton Towers whether we like it or not has been operating at a very low standard recently, party because of the financial impact of the Smiler incident but also due to neglect that TLC is now slowly repairing. As a result of this, the park needs something pretty spectacular to improve its damaged reputation, especially after the issues with The Smiler and the apparent "flop" of the VR on Galactica.Furthermore, there is apparently huge competition coming from Blackpool pleasure Beach with their major new attraction opening in the same year as SW8.

Alton Towers has a lot riding on this attraction so it is hardly surprising that people are anxious for the park to get it right. Again, you are correct in regards to the fact that nothing has been confirmed and things can be changed. So we should all calm down and be patient and stop complaining, but the increased speculation and tension is obviously going to occur because of the great importance that this attraction will hold in supporting the parks growth and repair.
BelgianWaffle

Sure thing Merlin isn't always amazing but recently they've really upped the game in the U.K... DGBT is good proof to us that would should have a little trust with the creative team at Merlin.

DGBT opened at roughly the same time as Skull Island: Reign of Kong. DGBT had a speculated budget of about £40 Million whereas ROK had a budget of about $140 Million which equates to a rough figure £105 Million. Now when you compare both rides I think we'll all agree that the queue and exterior is much more impressive than the one of DGBT but then they did have about £65 Million more... When you look at the actual ride at ROK it's awful and this was meant to be in the same playing field as POTC at Shanghai in terms of timescale and budget. DGBT on the other hand handles the overall experience rather well sure it has flaws but overall is a nice experience and does sort of enable you to suspend your disbelief. I suppose this is all down to personal opinion but at least we have some decent theming unlike those Six Flags... This whole rant was pointless but I'm simply trying to prove to you that in reality Merlin isn't that bad and that even the big peeps in the industry fail!

JUST HAVE SOME FAITH!
Owen

Altontowersbarlow wrote: However this shouldn't just be "a ride".
Oh I agree fully, I meant just at this point in time people should stop panicking so much as its really not worth while! I have issues with the resort right now, but that's a topic for another day! :lol
owenrita121

DBGT definitely did not cost 40 million, so I'm unsure where you got that from... The most I've heard it come to was 30 million but even then I find that hard to believe...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
S.J_O'Grady

According to Wikipedia it was reported as £13 million.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.